Eurotunnel Tesco Vouchers

starvin marvin

I'm trying to follow instructions posted here back in July 2011 to use Tesco vouchers to purchase a Eurotunnel return ticket.

I'm stuck on step 2) "Now go to Tesco website & redeem vouchers for Eurotunnel vouchers".

The booking I want to make will cost £136 return. With the 3x multiplier of Tesco vouchers, the cost in vouchers is £45.33p.

The question is what value of Tesco vouchers do I need to order? I just want to make sure the booking does not fail when I get to stage 8) of the process. I guess the answer must be £46.

Been bitten in the past by making assumptions with good old Ryanair/Easyjet.

Many thanks

Unfortuately it is a chance you have to take in so far as the booking cost does not rise between checking prices, then ordering vouchers from Tesco. They are quite quick in arriving. Only once for us the price went up a few pounds for me so I just paid the extra with credit card.

Have you had a quote from eurostar for using Tesco vouchers as they sometimes charge more than discounted web prices, if you have then yes it would be £46 but maybe that you can only purchase in £5 or £10 denominations. Not used the vouchers for Eurostar but use them all the time for hotel breaks, hope this helps, there is a tesco helpline and they are very good and will answer any question you have.

Hi

We have used the Tesco vouchers 2 or 3 times for both Eurotunnel and irish ferries. It is really quite straightforward when you understand the process. Go to the tesco website and order the amount in vouchers you need under the price of your fare to the nearest £5. The Tesco site will ask what specific reward you require which will be for Eurotunnel vouchers. You then enter the reference numbers of your vouchers onto the online form and click on order. A week or so later, and it can, in our experience, be anything up to a fortnight, you will receive the Tesco vouchers in the post. On receipt ring up Eurotunnel, give dates and times of the train you want to take, they allow a fairly wide window in case of delay, and then give them the numbers on the vouchers you have just received. The fare will be agreed and any balance between the value of your vouchers and the total fare can be paid for by debit or credit card over the phone. Eurotunnel will give you a confirmation booking number. You must then forward the vouchers to Eurotunnel (preferably by recorded delivery) ,who upon receipt, will confirm your booking. The process may seem a bit longwinded but it does work vary well. If you get there early they may invite you to go on an earlier train at no extra cost. The only word of caution from our experience is allow plenty of time for the vouchers to arrive from Tesco before you travel, 2 weeks is not enough.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip

Bob

Just to correct Bojitoes, when sending the vouchers to Eurotunnel you should send them by SPECIAL DELIVERY which gives insurance cover up to £500 and includes 'vouchers', whereas Recorded Delivery only gives insurance cover up to a value of £46 and does NOT cover vouchers, valuables, cash etc.

Greetings from the home for the terminally bewildered. Thanks for the replies, one or two did address the question!

After several abortive attempts and 3 calls to the help desk, I've now ordered my Eurotunnel tokens. Looking forward to stages 3) & 4) of the process to obtaining a ticket. This all really seemed like a good idea at the time!

Regards

Brambles - 2012-09-19 12:39 PM

You forgot stage 5 - The holiday itself and boarding the train.

In the process posted here back in July 2011 the poster laid out 8) stages to obtain a "ticket" using Tesco vouchers.

I'm indeed looking forward to getting away. Two things I'm not looking forward to, a) is actually using Eurotunnel, hope they have improved since the previous and only time I've used their "service"; and b) is attempting to complete stages 3) to 8).

My guess is I'll be sticking pins in my eyes for some light relief before I manage to navigate the process.

We have used eurotunnel with tesco vouchers for the past six or seven years and only had one incident where a eurostar train broke down in the tunnel causing delays.

It is a great crossing for us as we take our dog who doesn't take kindly to being entombed in the hold of a ship! Just one point to make - if you are taking a dog then it will be an additional £30 (for the passport process at the french side to return to UK) payable at the time but cannot be paid using vouchers so we pay this by card at the time of booking.

David

david lloyd - 2012-09-20 10:33 AM

We have used eurotunnel with tesco vouchers for the past six or seven years and only had one incident where a eurostar train broke down in the tunnel causing delays.

It is a great crossing for us as we take our dog who doesn't take kindly to being entombed in the hold of a ship! Just one point to make - if you are taking a dog then it will be an additional £30 (for the passport process at the french side to return to UK) payable at the time but cannot be paid using vouchers so we pay this by card at the time of booking.

David

Thanks for the replies.

I've now booked a return crossing, used £135 in tokens, had to pay £1+ £5.90 postage, so saved us approx £51 plus a bit of diesel to drive south from Dunkirk; 'cos I'd never travel Eurotunnel when there are offers on DFDS with the CC for £58 return!! Just had to find something to spend these damn vouchers on.

Our dog seems not to be bothered where he travels.

Glad you got through that part of the process oK. #]

We came back from Dunkirk last week and agree £59 return through CC is great however, when we head south to Spain in January we will most certainly take the tunnel on the outward leg. 35 minutes, easy on and off, stay at Cite europ free if it's an evening train, no heavy seas or risk of strike or having to wait for hours at port after a 4 hour drive to get there, and the Tesco vouchers reduce the cost considerably- that must be a win win situation

Bob

Bojitoes - 2012-09-24 4:18 PM

Glad you got through that part of the process oK. #]

We came back from Dunkirk last week and agree £59 return through CC is great however, when we head south to Spain in January we will most certainly take the tunnel on the outward leg. 35 minutes, easy on and off, stay at Cite europ free if it's an evening train, no heavy seas or risk of strike or having to wait for hours at port after a 4 hour drive to get there, and the Tesco vouchers reduce the cost considerably- that must be a win win situation

Bob

Hope you don't have to wait. We waited 2 hours this year, some problems I guess (They didn't say what) we then got put on a later train, and this was joined to the next one!! It was utter chaos, at the terminal.

Archived