Tamber door?

Mickydripin

What you are looking for is a "tambour" door.

These are some relevant links:

http://www.waivis.co.uk/Caravans.aspx

http://www.hafele.co.uk/hafele35a1/templates/hafele/browse.asp?newrecordset=yes&classlevel=8712

http://www.csfkaccessoryshop.co.uk/tambour-door-kits-for-kitchen-cabinets-c-113_261.html

http://www.coast2coastcampervans.co.uk/Camper_equipment.html

My Hobby has sideways-sliding tambour doors fitted to its bathroom entrance, and to its central 'room divider' that's very similar in concept to the main photo on the Waivis webpage retrieved by the link I gave above.

To do what you are proposing, you'd need to fit upper and lower tracks to locate the sliding door and have space behind the microwave to house the door when it has been retracted. If you wanted the closed door to cover the front and both ends of the microwave, I think you might need two doors not one. Otherwise, you might perhaps position the microwave so one end of it is close to a vertical wall and then use a single tambour door that pulls across the microwave's opposite end and front and closes against the vertical wall. You'd also need some means (say a magnetic strip) to keep the tambour door closed or it's going to slide about when your motorhome is being driven.

Do you really want to do this? It's going to involve considerable care at the design stage with plenty of opportunity to get it wrong and, even if you could source a door kit that exactly matched (or could be made to match) your requirements, it certainly would not be a cheap exercise. If you go ahead with this project I wish you luck - it's not an approach I'd consider taking.

After spending thirty five years in the bespoke handmade furniture industry I would suggest and agree with Derek that unless you have considerable craft skills to forget the idea of tambours.

Off the shelf kits are expensive, but the accuracy required to fit them in a confined space is not insurmountable. However, there are a lot of things which can go wrong.

The friction between the tambour door and its track will mean that a magnetic catch is not needed.

Important. The microwave must be well secured in the vehicle to withstand hard breaking and cornering.

Microwaves produce considerable heat which is dissapated through vents in its carcase. You will need to leave considerable gaps round the microwave at sides, back, top and bottom to allow this heat to escape. A tight fit, which may result if you fit a tambour door/s will prevent this heat escaping and cause overheating and tripping out of the microwave.

Thanks Derek and John.

Where I propose to put the microwave there is plenty of room and would not be used with the doos shut so there would be plenty of room for ventilation.

the prices that are advertised are for quite large doors so I think I will mesure up and contact the company you mentioned for a price I will let you know how I get on.

Mike.

JohnP - 2012-09-19 9:40 AM

...The friction between the tambour door and its track will mean that a magnetic catch is not needed...

This is a reasonable belief. However, in the case of the tambour doors fitted to my Hobby's upper 'room-divider' locker that was intended to house a TV (see last photo of this advert)

http://www.blackcountrycaravans.co.uk/stocklist.aspx?id=997

it was immediately apparent that some means was needed to stop the doors sliding about when the motorhome was being driven.

The room-divider's design and construction is taken directly from a Hobby caravan model where, if the tambour doors are whizzing from side to side during a journey, there will be nobody (hopefully!) in the caravan to care.

Each door has a magnetic strip in its end and, if the two upper doors met, there would be no problem. But each door, when pulled closed, contacts a vertical wooden support. I used magnetic strips removed from a scrapped fridge's door-seal, gluing the strips to the vertical support. The magnetic strips on the doors butt against the magnetic strips on the wooden support when the doors are closed and silence reigns. The doors-sliding-about characteristic is well known to owners of Hobby T-600FC motorhomes and the advert photo reveals that the owner of that vehicle has fitted a magnetic catch to the inside lower part of the door.

I accept that one might anticipate tambour doors not to be as free-running as those in the Hobby T-600FC arrangement and, in fact, the lower door of my motorhome's room-divider is adequately secured in any position by friction in the sliding mechanism so that no 'catch' is required to prevent the door moving when the motorhome is en route. What wasn't so good though, was that this door's outer end, when the door was closed, slid well behind the wooden support, leaving no easy way of opening the door. To counter this I fitted a handle to the lower door matching the handle on the washroom's tambour door.

I notice that a tambour-door question was asked in 2008 and warnings were given (by you and me) about the trickiness of fitting this type of door.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13197&posts=7

My Hobby has a tall fridge/freezer with a flat surface above it (6th photo in advert mentioned earlier) on to which a microwave oven could be placed. I can envisage a number of ways to do that (Not that I want to), but I don't think any of them would be pretty as I would not anticipate being able to source materials to match the Hobby's furniture. I think the best I could do would be to install the oven in such a way that it would be safe and would be removable - leaving no trace of its presence - when I eventually sold the vehicle. Tambour doors would definitely not be on my shopping-list.

Archived