Edinburgh

ips

Were in Edinburgh for 3 days staying at cc site nice and sunny just had nice walk along promenade. Sat were off to moffat for a night on way home looking forward to an Indian takeaway from one of the best Indian restaurants we have ever been too. Off to shops in city thurs and going to see royal yacht. Anything else we should do while we are here ?

When you're shopping on Thursday, pop into Jenners department store on Princes Street.

Don't bother buying anything, just look up when you get inside. Awe-inspiring!

I can also recommend the little cafe in the gardens opposite Princes Street too.

Can't remember its name but it's a bit like an underground grotto.

The Royal Botanical gardens are well worth a look too. Lovely spot and very calming after the hectic city centre experience.

And if you enjoy the above, you could buy me a box of the lovely Edinburgh Rock and post it down. ;-)

Have a look at Mary KIngs Close I have never been myself because of the dogs but it is supposed to be very interesting :-D My Daughter and family went and thought it was a bit spooky, its an old street that runs underneath the City chambers, ask at the office they will have leaflets in the information centre.

I love Moffet as well there is a good walk beside the river if the weather is good.

maggyd - 2012-09-19 8:24 PM

Have a look at Mary KIngs Close I have never been myself because of the dogs but it is supposed to be very interesting :-D My Daughter and family went and thought it was a bit spooky, its an old street that runs underneath the City chambers, ask at the office they will have leaflets in the information centre.

I love Moffet as well there is a good walk beside the river if the weather is good.

Have to agree Margaret, Mary Kings Close is a good place to visit. Seems hard to believe that these underground Streets and houses were once in the open, even so its hard to try and realise the poverty and dreadful conditions that our ancestors had to endure. Well worth a visit.

Dave

Cliffy - 2012-09-19 8:15 PM

Try a bus trip to the Falkirk Wheel an engineering marvel and/or go to the Edinburgh  Zoo to see the Pandas.

The Falkirk wheel is IMO a most impressive piece of engineering design, you can drive and park there and take a trip on boat which is lifted on wheel. Went to see it couple of months ago in early morning but never had time to wait for boat trips to start.

Guest JudgeMental

Hmmm.......£1000 to hold a Panda *-) Thought I would have a look as daughter in China on month tour and was booked for a one on one experience (£130) with a group of little ones. but it was cancelled because of goverment VIP visit :-S She was not that happy but I wont be paying £1000! Typical UK rip off.....

Had a great new year there once :-D

JudgeMental - 2012-09-19 10:26 PM

Hmmm.......£1000 to hold a Panda *-) Thought I would have a look as daughter in China on month tour and was booked for a one on one experience (£130) with a group of little ones. but it was cancelled because of goverment VIP visit :-S She was not that happy but I wont be paying £1000! Typical UK rip off.....

......yes, they do a good New Year do the Chinese. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Robinhood - 2012-09-19 10:33 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-09-19 10:26 PM

......yes, they do a good New Year do the Chinese. ;-)

No...New Year was in Edinburgh. I have never seen drinking like it till this day, and that was 20 years ago. simply astonishing

ips - 2012-09-19 4:15 PM

Were in Edinburgh for 3 days staying at cc site nice and sunny just had nice walk along promenade. Sat were off to moffat for a night on way home looking forward to an Indian takeaway from one of the best Indian restaurants we have ever been too. Off to shops in city thurs and going to see royal yacht. Anything else we should do while we are here ?

That depends on what you like doing!

I would recommend Edinburgh Castle - if you have been members of English Heritage for over a year entry to the castle is free providing you have your EH cards (if you are EH members you will know that!)

I would also recommend St Giles. Cathedral, the Scottish National Museum, Holyrood House, the Scottish Parliament and a walk up to Arthur's Seat - impressive views from there.

There is so much choice in Edinburgh.

I also agree that a visit to The Falkirk Wheel is worth doing - with a boat ride. If you go to Falkirk you can also drive to see remains of The Antonine Wall (the most northerly Roman "wall" in Britain). It is of earthwork/grass construction and we found it interesting.

Do you know of The Grey Mare's Tail waterfall near Moffat? We also think it is worth visiting.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Think most things have been covered aready in the replys but walk down royal ile is good and there is a wiskey place up near the castle (cant remeber its name) where you can sample and bottle your own.

If you want to splash the cash go to the "Dome" Restuarant on George St, well woth it

whatever you do enjoy Edinburgh

nowtelse2do - 2012-09-19 8:47 PM

Have to agree Margaret, Mary Kings Close is a good place to visit. Seems hard to believe that these underground Streets and houses were once in the open, even so its hard to try and realise the poverty and dreadful conditions that our ancestors had to endure. Well worth a visit.

Dave

Just bear in mind why it was closed off. Bubonic Plague. Not the nicest thing to have on your doorstep. Of course Edinburgh is also famous for 2 sayings. The first was 'Gardey Loo' which meant the contents of the pot under the bed was being thrown out of the window. Always carry an umberella. Also shows why Bubonic Plague took a hold. The second was on entering any Edinburgh home as a guest you would be greeted by the phrase 'you will have had your tea then' Not that Edinburgh folk are mean...are they?

As for visits one could always take in a trip to Holyrood and marvel at how much money can be wasted by so many people with so little brains. Dynamic Earth across the road is far better value. The comments about Jenners are true although since being taken over by House of Fraser a lot of the appeal has gone, as have the staff. If you visit at Xmas time the Grand Hall has a Christmas tree from ground up to the 3rd floor, and it all comes in in one piece. The National Museum in Chambers Street is now the no:1 attraction but if you are very wealthy then a visit to the zoo to gawk at the pandas could be your thing. Watch out for the penguins pooing on your head though. Edinburgh Castle is usually on everyone's list and the St Margaret's Chapel as the war memorial chapel is a very sobering experience on the futiltiy of war. My claim to fame is one of my ancestors lived in Edinburgh Castle for 10' years, unfortunately he was housed in one of the cells as he stupidly joined up with Napolean's lot and was captured. Settled down on release, married a local girl and the rest is history, or procreation.. For refeshment the Oxford bar in Thistle lane is worth aq visit if you are a Rebus fan but be warned Edinburgh restaurants are often on the pricey side.

If you are really wanting a great experience you can always stand outside my home and wonder at how so much can be achieved by just a man, or at least I keep telling myself that. But currently in sunny Spain so sorry cannot invite you in for tea or the phrase shown above.

Enjoy Auld Reekie.

Dave225 - 2012-09-20 1:01 PM

nowtelse2do - 2012-09-19 8:47 PM

Dave

Just bear in mind why it was closed off. Bubonic Plague. Not the nicest thing to have on your doorstep. Of course Edinburgh is also famous for 2 sayings. The first was 'Gardey Loo' which meant the contents of the pot under the bed was being thrown out of the window. Always carry an umberella. Also shows why Bubonic Plague took a hold. The second was on entering any Edinburgh home as a guest you would be greeted by the phrase 'you will have had your tea then' Not that Edinburgh folk are mean...are they?

As for visits one could always take in a trip to Holyrood and marvel at how much money can be wasted by so many people with so little brains. Dynamic Earth across the road is far better value. The comments about Jenners are true although since being taken over by House of Fraser a lot of the appeal has gone, as have the staff. If you visit at Xmas time the Grand Hall has a Christmas tree from ground up to the 3rd floor, and it all comes in in one piece. The National Museum in Chambers Street is now the no:1 attraction but if you are very wealthy then a visit to the zoo to gawk at the pandas could be your thing. Watch out for the penguins pooing on your head though. Edinburgh Castle is usually on everyone's list and the St Margaret's Chapel as the war memorial chapel is a very sobering experience on the futiltiy of war. My claim to fame is one of my ancestors lived in Edinburgh Castle for 10' years, unfortunately he was housed in one of the cells as he stupidly joined up with Napolean's lot and was captured. Settled down on release, married a local girl and the rest is history, or procreation.. For refeshment the Oxford bar in Thistle lane is worth aq visit if you are a Rebus fan but be warned Edinburgh restaurants are often on the pricey side.

If you are really wanting a great experience you can always stand outside my home and wonder at how so much can be achieved by just a man, or at least I keep telling myself that. But currently in sunny Spain so sorry cannot invite you in for tea or the phrase shown above.

Enjoy Auld Reekie.

Sorry I forgot to mention the biggest attraction in Edinburgh is to marvel at the massive disruption of the tram works and admire the single most expensive public works operation anywhere in the world. £1billion for 1 single lijne from the airport to the centre of town. 5 years late and still no finishing date. It also proves democracy works. All the population did not want it, so the city councillors decided we had to have it. After all as Edinburgh has the finest bus service in the Uk why not screw it up by bankrupting it with a wee train set. Takes real brains to figure that one out. If you have some spare change buy a tram as there are 27 of them sitting in a dump at Gogarburn. Nobody needs 27 trams for 1 line of 5 miles length. Use it as a static holiday home or house chickens in it. Unfortunately you cannot sell it to any other tram network as those brilliant buffoons in the Cooncil ordered trams bigger than anyone else's and they will not fit. Better still use it to store all the rubbish that is not being collected as the brilliant cooncillors have just scrapped weekly collections to save money to pay for.............the trams. So now the public bin men sit on their a...s for twice as long for the same money. It certainly is Auld Reekie now.

Guest pelmetman

Aaaah Edinburgh :D............I have abiding memories of trying go sick on shore there, Sue had come up for the weekend, I was due back on board for a few weeks Naval exercise inside the artic circle 8-).........

All I got was a packet of asprin from the Edinburgh Royal infirmary *-)..........they can spot a malingering matelot a mile off up there :-(

Wow thanks for everyone's suggestions got lots of choice now. City trip put back till Fri cos checking it down today. Drove to royal yacht this morning but couldnt find any were to park the van as was multi story. Had a nice walk in the rain down the prom had lunch in nice harbour front cafe. Now chillin in van watching the rain. New bottle of scotch at the ready.

...unless the routes have changed (though I did hear the bus from Marine Drive directly outside the site gates no longer runs) bus direct to/from Leith (Royal Yacht) is easy from the CC site if you walk to the Muirhouse Roundabout at Silverknowes. (the Edinburgh end of Marine Drive).

Loads of buses from the City Centre to Leith down Leith Walk.

Whichever way round you do it, a Lothian Buses day ticket should cover the Site-City Centre-Leith-Site triangle quite nicely from the above roundabout, much cheaper than taxis or parking (and a view from the top deck . :-) )

Do not try to park in Edinburgh. The Cooncil have decided that all motorists are basically there to give them lots of cash for parking or fines. Everybody in the know uses the Lothian bus network. A Day Ticket costs £3.50 valid on any Lothian bus anywhere they run. They operate an exact fare system so do not hand over a £20 note, unless you are generous. Locals have been known to get on the bus for 1 stop, lazy ba,,,,,s, OK I am one of them but if it is raining........? Plenty run to Ocean Terminal, the 22 about every 5 minutes, although I do admit the CC site is off the beaten track a bit. Better to use Mortonhall as the bus stop is at the gate and there is an excellent pub/restaurant on site.

This may help

http://www.lothianbuses.com/

Archived