---

chris p abacon

the clutch in my 1.9TD boxer recently died.

Having brought us up a very long very winding 1:5 hill (the devils glen in Argyll) without a problem (at least not that I noticed about 500 miles later it became almost impossible to get it into first or reverse.

Local garage diagnosed a dead clutch (thrust plate whatever that is) and relieved me of £350 for new clutch assemby and cable.

no sign of any problems prior to the failure despite some pretty serious hills in Scotland which needed foot to the floor in first gear to climb.

Hi Crispy (you smoking? :D )

We had the same thing happen on an old converted ambulance, no indication of any problems beforehand until we were on holiday travelling from the campsite to a stately home along some windy roads with lots of clutch work. We made it to the stately home just but didn't have first gear anymore so called the breakdown service - he diagnosed a problem with the thrust plate and, as we didn't have recovery just roadside assistance, he advised us to try to drive home that night as the traffic would be lighter ... by the time we got home we'd had to travel in just 3rd gear as nothign else worked!!! 8-)

I seem to recall it cost us then about £150 (around 1998) so £350 doesn't seem a bad price!

Archived