Scottish Independence Vote

antony1969

Hi

In spite of the fact that 2/3rd of my relatives (by marriage(s)) are from North of Hadrian`s wall I tend to agree wholeheartedly!!.

The tenders are out for the re-build and repair of said wall I am told?.

I`m in favour of Home rule for Yorkshire of course!!!.

Pete

Ye know not what ye do, as they say somewhere.

These sort of comments dare I say are playing straight into the hands of those who wish to see the breakup of the UK, and do not believe for a minute that England would not suffer very badly as well. What everybody with an ounce of sense wants is to be given the whole and true facts of what would, and would not happen. That may be wishful thinking I do accept. That will take a little more than a day to achieve. Plus of course England cannot evict the Scots as they signed the Act of Union as well. What they could do is leave the UK and yes, declare independence but then again they would leave Northern Ireland and Wales probably as well. Plus they would also have to decide whether they wished to be in the EU, or not, the latter being something I fully admit would be a positive for all of us. The UK is NOT England as you need to remember although the Beeb seems to forget it on more than one occasion.

The majority of Scots do not wish independence which is why Salmond is prevaricating over everything and hoping that anti Scots sentiments from England will drive enough Scots to say 'yes'. Actually he personally does not want it either but his Party has that as its aim in life so once in power he had no choice but to go for it. He has stalled it for a good number of year now. It is something you like to threaten, but never use.

If you really want to blame someone for this debacle then look no further at Blair and his miserable Labour Party who thought that devolution would stitch up Scotland as Labour voters for eternity. He should have known better and if he had left well alone, nothing more would have been said and the SNP would have remained a fringe Party.

Anyway, we will see what happens when and if they eventually decide the question and the date.

antony1969 - 2012-09-21 7:54 PM

Dave , I dont think most English folk want to get rid of Scotland , there's some beautiful places there , it's just the Scot's they want rid of :-D

Funny you should say that. A lot of Scots think exactly the same..........................about the English. Maybe that is why we joined up in the 1st place, too much bickering, ok wars, when we were apart

I think its a shame and it won't benefit the British people one bit, it only divides. We are too integrated now and that goes for the Welsh also. My uncle said that there was only 2 races of people that he would trust to fight alongside him, that was the Gurkha's and the Scots. The Gurkha's because they were bloody lethal and the Scots because they were bloody crazy.

Dave

Retread24800 - 2012-09-22 5:13 PM

If they gained independence, would that mean that all the Scots, the Blairs, Camerons etc would b...... off back to the bonnie land?

Are you talking about those of Scots nationality or those who have a Scottish sounding name? If so, does this mean all Jones' have to go back to Wales? David Cameron was born in London as far as I know, maybe that is aprt of Scotland???????????

I think Salmond is on a loser here - I doubt he could gain independence but keep the £ as an independent Scotlands currency. The Bank of England (the clue is in its name) would not allow it - so that would mean Scotland having its own currency (too small to make that work?) or taking part in the debacle that is the Euro, :-S

Either way is not an attractive option for your average Scottish voter I would suggest. So I suspect things will grumble on and the politicians on both sides of any border will still be playing their silly ego puffing games for years and years - all at enormous cost to us but nothing too them >:-(

There is a serious side to the removal of The Scots , who will build the new wall and will NATO forces patrol it to prevent there rampaging mobs from wanting to get back in .

Can we send back Billy Connolly , Lulu , The Proclaimers etc as they serve no purpose to the educated English .

Will there be famine in Glasgow / Edinburgh once there Mars Bar supplies have run out ?

For us who will build our roads ? and who will sell The Big Issue and annoy tourists in London by drinking in parks and sleeping rough in shop doorways ? . Will we employ the Poles and Latvians to do this ?

Dave225 - 2012-09-22 9:19 PM

If they gained independence, would that mean that all the Scots, the Blairs, Camerons etc would b...... off back to the bonnie land?

Are you talking about those of Scots nationality or those who have a Scottish sounding name? If so, does this mean all Jones' have to go back to Wales? David Cameron was born in London as far as I know, maybe that is aprt of Scotland???????????

Where you are born is a rather poor indicator of national identity. If born in a pigsty, what then? Many Scots are born in England, and no doubt vice versa, but many of those have at least a romantic desire still to be Scots, not English. I am generally happy to be British, but if forced to choose, I am English, despite quite complex Celtic roots. Many Scots are hardly from ethnic Celtic or Pictic stock.

This whole debate is, IMO, completely meaningless, except to those who can only identify themselves by reference to bits of land and a few geegaws of regurgitated, and largely invented, highly dubious "national" costume and traditions. Beyond that, it is extremely difficult, IMO, to identify any significant ethnic differences between Scots as a Whole, and the English as a whole and, even if it were, I would see that as no more than an attempt at ethnic, as opposed to "cultural", cleansing.

Salmond is, IMO, merely cloaking himself in tartan (not, as I understand, it something that is of genuine Scots origin) in seeking to exploit the gullible without any positive benefit on offer. All piff and wind, methinks. :-) Vague, uncorroborated, claims of future glory will not do. Without wishing to offend anyone, that seems to be the same desire that recently drove certain banks to vastly over-reach themselves, with disastrous consequences for the whole of the UK. Who now is paying for that conceit? More of the same? No thanks.

Sorry, I never thought that a jest would raise such passions, Personally I couldn't give a t... where people live. As for Scottishness we need to remember that the majority of touristy Scotch traditions date back to the time when a small woman and her fellow German husband needed some entertainment, shades of Marie Antoinette.

Lets replace Alek Salmon with one of Idi Amin's offspring to bring a true Gallic flavour to this discussion:-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-09-23 12:06 PM

Dave225 - 2012-09-22 9:19 PM

Where you are born is a rather poor indicator of national identity. If born in a pigsty, what then? Many Scots are born in England, and no doubt vice versa, but many of those have at least a romantic desire still to be Scots, not English. I am generally happy to be British, but if forced to choose, I am English, despite quite complex Celtic roots. Many Scots are hardly from ethnic Celtic or Pictic stock.

This whole debate is, IMO, completely meaningless, except to those who can only identify themselves by reference to bits of land and a few geegaws of regurgitated, and largely invented, highly dubious "national" costume and traditions. Beyond that, it is extremely difficult, IMO, to identify any significant ethnic differences between Scots as a Whole, and the English as a whole and, even if it were, I would see that as no more than an attempt at ethnic, as opposed to "cultural", cleansing.

Salmond is, IMO, merely cloaking himself in tartan (not, as I understand, it something that is of genuine Scots origin) in seeking to exploit the gullible without any positive benefit on offer. All piff and wind, methinks. :-) Vague, uncorroborated, claims of future glory will not do. Without wishing to offend anyone, that seems to be the same desire that recently drove certain banks to vastly over-reach themselves, with disastrous consequences for the whole of the UK. Who now is paying for that conceit? More of the same? No thanks.

Very well put Brian

Agree 100%

Archived