Spain in Winter

fairweather camper

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your aquaintance is wrong. I was sunbathing topless at the end of january at Benicassim this year and that is not in the south. It can be a bit cool at night, but daytime it's quite nice.

Guest JudgeMental
nowtelse2do - 2012-09-20 10:31 PM

They Ski in the Sierra Nevada ;-)

Dave

Yes it was snowing in April on our way down to Benidorm....next day, 2 hrs later, we where in shorts and T shirts, superb weather for 6 weeks! dont worry it will be much better then here! and certainly better then Belle France!(my arse :D)

A couple of years ago we went for the sun in Spain in Winter and we were quite surprised in what we got..we stayed at Vilanova Park (not bad but everywhere is uphill!!) just south of Barcelona for a couple of weeks..then we upped sticks and headed for Peniscola and Camping Eden..smashing little site ..it does have pitches for larger RV type motorhomes although some are a bit tight!! we stayed here from mid February til the first week of April...lots of sun during the day..it got a bit chilly at night but we were sunbathing in February/March and you can't do that in West Yorkshire... :-D

It's worth a scan on their website http://www.camping-eden.com well worth a try..we liked it lots of discounts for long stays....and right on the beach..next to the Policia Local Building!!!

I agree the sun is usually a lot better than the UK, certainly much better than Scotland. However, things that put me off doing it are:

1. The days are very short and it will get dark about 4 pm. So you need evening entertainment which may be with friends or just with the telly. Bluntly if I want to watch telly I can do that at home. Having friends with cheap wine will probably destroy my liver faster than I do it already, plus conversation will eventually dry up. You can describe your day just so many times.

2. The weather can be bad as well. It snowed in Malaga 2 years ago and friends we knew who had been in Morocco said it had been very cold there, so going even that far south is no guarantee. Mallorca for example can have lots of cloud and drizzle. Barcelona area is notorious for wet weather

3. Sites are usually packed with snowbirders. Get fed up with umpteen 'Morgen' every day. Keep wanting to shoout back 'no, my name is Jones' but the Germans have no sense of humour. Funnily enough they are usually very quiet in late Spring to early Autumn, which is when we tend to go.

4. Costs are more expensive than staying at home, even considering no heating bills. Sites will be 3-400 euros per month and that is a lot of gas. Plus the Council Tax will still need to be paid. Some sites charge for extra electricity useage as well.

5. Christmas is not the same and although I am not a big romantic, seeing the Christmas lights in Edinburgh and of course having the day with family is worth a lot. I know some fly home but that is expensive yet again.

6. The sea is bloody cold so it is the indoor swimming pool, which I can just as easily do at home.

So, while I accept many do it, and enjoy it for us it is not as nice as heading off come Easter time and looking forward to real sun and heat, plus quieter sites. Also the early Autumn has a lot to offer. For example today in Murcia where we are it is 31 degrees and the sea is still 26 degrees.

Dave225 - 2012-09-21 6:39 PM

1. The days are very short and it will get dark about 4 pm. So you need evening entertainment which may be with friends or just with the telly. Bluntly if I want to watch telly I can do that at home. Having friends with cheap wine will probably destroy my liver faster than I do it already, plus conversation will eventually dry up.

Barcelona area is notorious for wet weather

Not quite right. It will not be dark until about 6.30, if you choose the right place you can eat out every night for from 4€, so a good cheap way to spend the evening.

Winter around Barcelona is mainly dry, we spend some of it on our boat in Catalonia.

Guest JudgeMental
JamesFrance - 2012-09-21 7:26 PM

Dave225 - 2012-09-21 6:39 PM

1. The days are very short and it will get dark about 4 pm. So you need evening entertainment which may be with friends or just with the telly. Bluntly if I want to watch telly I can do that at home. Having friends with cheap wine will probably destroy my liver faster than I do it already, plus conversation will eventually dry up.

Barcelona area is notorious for wet weather

Not quite right. It will not be dark until about 6.30, if you choose the right place you can eat out every night for from 4€, so a good cheap way to spend the evening.

Winter around Barcelona is mainly dry, we spend some of it on our boat in Catalonia.

There is so much wrong with Daves post I dont know where to begin...so wont bother! :D

Judge is correct

Benidorm is the cheapest place in Spain to live, there is very cheap living, very cheap drink, an abundance of free entertainment in the evenings and the campsites are usually all in the ACSI book.

Try Camping Arena Blanca or Camping El Raco both excellent sites, many others sites here too but I can only speak about those two. Something for everyone here in Benidorm

Guest JudgeMental
Syd - 2012-09-21 9:41 PM

Judge is {edit: always} correct

Benidorm is the cheapest place in Spain to live, there is very cheap living, very cheap drink, an abundance of free entertainment in the evenings and the campsites are usually all in the ACSI book.

Try Camping Arena Blanca or Camping El Raco both excellent sites, many others sites here too but I can only speak about those two. Something for everyone here in Benidorm

DON'T TELL THEM!?!? :D

At least it is my twaddle. I do not do 90 days, this year it is 140 so I suggest that we are indeed 'living it a little'

At the moment it is getting dark here at 8.30 pm and decreasing every day. Once the clocks change then it is shorter, even if you put all the lights on.

We enjoyed the tail of the Spanish holidays and the site was a lot of fun because there were children... remember them? Laughter and of course paella at midnight. Now no children,just lots of grey hairs who shout at each other in the pool because many of them are deaf. Laughter now seems to be more alcohol induced, ok it was me, but we have seen the change throughout this month and some good, some not so good. The site we are on now is filling fast and is fully booked from the 1st October so the days of having more than one pitch will be over. Mind you we have just had 4 days of strong winds and a lot of cloud but I accept still warm.

It is curious that in April I did not see anyone venturing into the sea, maybe the stalwarts were on another site. The Spanish, who one would guess know a little about their country started paddling late June, but come August and September were gung ho into the waves.

El Tiempo shows Barcelona as being quite warm around 28 but dropping to 21 over the next 2 weeks with potential showers. Yes odd hotter days in there but basically a mixed bag. Maybe we were unlucky but in the 4 times we have visited, or even driven past Barcelona, it has been raining, but my kids love it, so who am I to complain.

Now anyone who wants to quote Benidorm to me as the mecca of all holiday resorts really needs to get a life and seriously drinking too much will destroy your life. Be aware the Spanish medical services are getting much more stringent about treating 'tourists' as so many living here have been doing it on the fly. The recession is also biting harder and if Spain has to accept a bail out, then it will get even worse and I would hate anyone to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

€4 for a meal does seem unreal and one has to wonder what it consists of. Even in a recessiion one has to cover costs. The cheapest here is €7.50 for all you can eat Chinese buffets and the sheer size of the bellys walking in and out shows that many get their money;s worth. My wife has mentioned you can spot the Brits a mile away by their size.

Look on the bright side. Just when you lot are packing up to go home I am arriving for a long hot peaceful summer, I hope.

What a shame that some people turn this topic into an argument.

For the benefit of the OP we can only take our annual holidays in Jan/Feb as we still work running our garden maintenance business. We find southern Spain to have a very agreeable climate at this time of year. Yes the night time temperature can drop below zero and there are days when the weather is poor but generally the days are pleasant.

I find it sad that people can run down places like Benidorm when they offer many of us the opportunity to stay in an area that caters for people without having to pay inflated prices.

I would say go for it and enjoy yourself. If it does not suit you then at least you can say you tried it.

Dave225 - 2012-09-22 5:12 PM

At least it is my twaddle. I do not do 90 days, this year it is 140 so I suggest that we are indeed 'living it a little'

At the moment it is getting dark here at 8.30 pm and decreasing every day. Once the clocks change then it is shorter, even if you put all the lights on.

"At the moment it is getting darker EVERYWHERE so just how that can be held up as a negative against Spain I fail to understand"

"The site we are on now is filling fast and is fully booked from the 1st October so the days of having more than one pitch will be over"

What does that statement tell you, does it say that everyone else are all idiots and only you are right.

"Now anyone who wants to quote Benidorm to me as the mecca of all holiday resorts really needs to get a life and seriously drinking too much will destroy your life".

Not quiet right, myself I am almost a non drinker and so are quiet a large number of people visiting Benidorm. Do not judge everyone by the louts that you see in the dubious places that you obviously frequent when over here. Make an effort to keep yourself in different company and experience some quality time with sensible people for a change.

Be aware the Spanish medical services are getting much more stringent about treating 'tourists' as so many living here have been doing it on the fly. The recession is also biting harder and if Spain has to accept a bail out, then it will get even worse and I would hate anyone to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Agree that Spain is suffering but the money in your pocket stays at more or less the same value regardless so what is with this "being in the wrong place at the wrong time" business all about.

For the genuine holiday maker the medical treatment provided here in Spain makes the UK provision look wanting, it is excellent.

€4 for a meal does seem unreal and one has to wonder what it consists of. Even in a recessiion one has to cover costs. The cheapest here is €7.50 for all you can eat Chinese buffets and the sheer size of the bellys walking in and out shows that many get their money;s worth. My wife has mentioned you can spot the Brits a mile away by their size.

Four euro's for a meal is pushing it a bit even here in Benidorm but for five euro's you CAN get an excellent three course meal and a drink quiet easilly, for seven fifty euro's you can eat VERY well here in Benidorm and have free entertainment thrown in.

Many taverna and pavement restaurants have free entertainment.

Of course the very size of the Brits is Spains fault too I suppose

Thank you all for your helpful advise, it seems "were off to sunny spain, viva la spania"

Im sorry it got a bit heated, it wasnt my intention to cause any arguments.

One other question, do you turn of your heating, we are going to drain down water and switch it off, (not central heating radiators, just mains water) will this be enough.

Thanks

When we lived in Britain it was a condition of our house insurance that water and electric were turned off when we were away. We never had a problem with frozen central heating circuits and I don't think they used any antifreeze. That was in north Wales, not the coldest place.

We did the same when we lived on a narrowboat but went to Spain and Portugal every winter.

Guest pelmetman

Been for the last 2 years for a month in January..........plan to go again this January and hopefully Feb aswell B-)

Last year we were at Calpe, but plan this time to be a bit further South as we noticed when I visited my old man down in Orihuela it was a few degrees warmer still, but saying that we were still in shorts and T shirts at Calpe ;-)...............

The main thing for us it breaks ups the long and dismal British winter, as by the time we get back spring is in the air :-D................

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2012-09-22 5:12 PM

Mind you we have just had 4 days of strong winds

That'll be the Chorizo Dave ;-).......................... (lol) (lol) (lol)

fairweather camper - 2012-09-23 10:34 AMThank you all for your helpful advise, it seems "were off to sunny spain, viva la spania"Im sorry it got a bit heated, it wasnt my intention to cause any arguments.One other question, do you turn of your heating, we are going to drain down water and switch it off, (not central heating radiators, just mains water) will this be enough.Thanks
We do long Winter trips away, Spain ,Portugal,Morocco etc, great, I always save money by being away  as opposed to staying at home, we do wild camp a lot however as that is what we  prefer to do, but have also spent  long periods on Camp sites too, stays over 30 nights can reduce the  fees quite considerably, but we get stir crazy if we stay in one  place too long now, have wheels will travel as they say.and that is the essence of a Motor home, move as and when it suits you. As for   draining down your water system, DO IT, that way you wont have any problems with burst or frozen pipes so drain everything you can,including Central Heating Radiators and tanks turn of the water at the main too.We leave the property unheated for months on end and have no problems, we also switch any electric circuits not needed off, just leave enough power on for the Security lights and  Alarm System, turn the Gas off at the main too, you can suspend your BT phone line too if you want and so don't pay line rental whilst away.Only get a one way ticket on the Ferry as then you can return from any point and Ferry company you choose and at anytime that suits you, call ahead  or go on line for the best return deal, we often do that from the dock at Calais where we always  spend our last night before crossing and we call the CCC for the best return deal.works for us.

http://goo.gl/maps/p3X8s  A lot of talk on here about Benidorm, well love it or hate it it seems, We think Benidorm a great place to visit over winter, cheap to eat out, very good transport system. two super beaches, lots of bars and Cafes, always things to do, great markets, some very good Campsites  here also, evening entertainment every where, usually free,  wander  in and out of the Hotels for a drink etc. no one minds,lots of  trips available, go by  train to Calpe and return by boat for example, there is a beautiful park in the centre of Beni, that leads down to the sea, the weather  varies as every where but is  better than England most of the Winter,so give it a try, what have you to lose ?you can always move on if you don't like it.

We too are heading South from 8th January until end of March. First stop is Valladolid then south to the coast. We will take in Murcia area (La Manga, Cartegena) and then head up the East coast stopping where and when we feel like it. Gandia & Benicassim is on the agenda and yes we will also be stopping in Benidorm for a short while as well!

See you down there

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

Bless you Syd but wasting your breath.......Benidorm STILL a Spanish town at heart with traditional Spanish values. Family, Religion, Tolerance (boy do they need that!) Good food and value. YES there are a few streets where the Brits disgrace themselves, just like they do up and down every town in this country! Easily ignored, we saw little of it, and looking forward to going back early next year......Just hope weather as excellent as it was last year!

pelmetman - 2012-09-23 1:43 PM

Last year we were at Calpe, but plan this time to be a bit further South as we noticed when I visited my old man down in Orihuela it was a few degrees warmer still, but saying that we were still in shorts and T shirts at Calpe

The further you go to the south west the warmer it gets, but the downside to that is that the chance of wet weather becomes much greater.

Some years ago we left Calpe, where we used to stay on a site called Vina de Calpe which has since been built over. We drove to Olhau on the Algarve one January. It was raining hard when we arrived and we asked other people on the site how long it had been doing so. The answer was that it was the 82nd day, so the next day we set off back to Benidorm for our first winter stay there, I think that was in 1995.

Other years the Algarve is dry and sunny and also much warmer overnight than the Costa Blanca. It all depends on your luck the year you go, but south west Spain can also suffer from more rain than further north.

Archived