Spain in Winter

fairweather camper

T8LEY - 2012-09-26 10:55 PM

fairweather camper - 2012-09-26 12:37 PM

Getting a bit worried about all the references to the sites being full, should we book, there will be two motorhomes, one a small American, about 27ft, or is it OK to just turn up, dont really like booking as if site not nice your going to be disappointed.

We rarely book and have never been turned away. Quite a few sites have 'early arrivals' facilities, i.e. EHU, wc, shower, etc. where you can pitch until someone leaves. Even at Calpe, where Dave mentioned it's a small site, we only spent one night in the waiting area.

From October onwards its always worth booking Calpe, as there is a big influx of vans from all over the northern part of Europe who book in for 4/5/6 months over the winter, and usually opt for the larger pitches where they can.

If you get stuck in Calpe there is also the Aire

http://www.odisseacamperarea.com/ANGLES/index.html

Where you can opt to stay short term or longer....the Denia one is great for beach lovers but not so good if you dont have additional transport.

In ref to the OP Southern Spain is fab in the winter..... we've had a couple of freak evenings where the wind is coming up from Africa and the temp was 23 degrees at midnight... weird to say the least, we had to open all the house up to warm it up as we do have a cold house.

Benidorm is ok if you take it with a pinch of salt and use it as a base, theres some amazing places to explore and you can choose to keep out of the English quarter (which most Spanish do) as it is quite compact although you will always see some Brit style cafes around.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gwendolyn - 2012-09-25 5:29 PM

johnnerontheroad - 2012-09-25 4:32 PM

Mike88 - 2012-09-25 1:08 PM

johnnerontheroad - 2012-09-24 9:01 PM

Has anyone stayed on this site if so any comments http://campingcabopino.com/index.php?idioma=GB

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Thanks

Dave

Yes..stayed there this Spring.

the site is quite large and is reasonably well run. They have been doing a lot of work there to deal with the water run off issues that had been a real problem in the past so any negatives you may receive on this matter are no longer relevant.

The Port of Cabopino and the beach is about 10 minutes away by foot. The Port is small with a few restaurants - nothing else. The beach is very pleasant with a number of pricey bars. Two Cokes will cost you 6 euros for a very small mixer size bottle.There is a bus service in to Marbella, Porto Banus and Fuergerola with connections to Mijas and other interesting mountain towns more or less outside the campsite gates.

The downside of the site is shopping. There is a nearby garage for essentials. You will need to use your motorhome for anything else. There is a Lidl and Mercadona about a l mile away but is not easily walkable as access is along a dual carriageway. You can bus it or even go into Marbella and shop at the Mercadona at the end of the town.

Personally I would not wish to spend long there although I understand it is packed in the winter. My verdict is that the site is good but shopping was a real hassle.

Thanks helped us make our minds up, we have friends staying there so will only pop in for a couple of nights.

Thanks again

Dave

We stayed at the site for 2 weeks last March, as part of a longer trip.

While it’s true that shopping is not easy, we didn’t find it that much of a hassle as it’s possible to avoid walking along the dual carriageway [and the route is behind barriers] by taking a different route. Cycled there a couple of times too.

We had lunch at the beach bars a few times and didn’t find it a rip off. I tend not to note individual prices, so cannot comment on the prices quoted for Cokes, but I am aware when things are so bad that I feel I wouldn’t go again. And we did keep going going back for lunch there - but we were drinking rose wine or beer and not soft drinks.

That stroll to the beach / harbour area, with a long lazy lunch in the sun was very relaxing.

Bus service to Marbella is excellent, frequent, and cheap. And it’s possible to hop off en route at a supermarket and catch the next bus that comes along.

We plan to go back in 2013 and look forward to it.

The ONLY thing that may have put us off were the wretched caterpillars - the rash they gave us lasted for weeks after we’d returned home - but not enough to stop us going there again.

this site seems very expensive or am i reading the prices wrong, how much a night did u pay, also Calpe has been mentioned, is that the name of the campsite.

The camp-site in Calpe being referred to is called "Camping Calpe Mar".

Pitches are gravel. 3 minute walk into centre of Calpe town, 2 minutes walk to the (excellent) beach.

They accept the ACSI card (outside of July/August etc), which makes the cost for a motorhome and 2 adults €16 there per night.

Included is fresh water (tap at each pitch) and waste water (drain at each pitch) and some electricity (maybe a couple of KW per night?) and you pay extra for units used above that daily amount based on your pitch meter reading when you arrive/leave. Also, their showers/toilets are exceptionally good; and there's often free live music entertainment once a week on Thursday evenings.

Here's their website:

http://www.campingcalpemar.com/en/imagenes_camping_calpemar.html

Receptionists speak English, as does the owner (whose name is Neme).

Ringing/booking ahead STRONGLY advised for the winter months, as it is often full. Very many people stay there for several months through that period (and can get significantly cheaper rates for those long term stays)

The website seems to include some photos of The Nomad playing some gigs there recently! ;-)

fairweather camper - 2012-09-27 4:48 PM

Mike88 - 2012-09-27 4:35 PM

It's an ACSI camping card discount site costing 16 euros per night outside of July and August.

Thanks mike, any more good sites.

Val

Only the one I mentioned above at Camping Torre Del Mar in the town of that name near Malaga. 330 euros for a month but pricing may alter when the site is entered into the ACSI discount card book in 2013.

The site is on the beach, virtually in the town and around the corner from a big supermarket. It's near buses for trips to Fuengerola and Malaga etc.

I'm in Benidorm at the moment; it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it as do many others who overwinter here..

I'm not a fan of winter camping though. As soon as the clocks go back I return home.

JamesFrance - 2012-09-25 6:55 PM

Oh yes, the processional caterpillars. They are found all over Iberia and here in southern France also.

For anyone not familiar with them, if you look up at pine trees in February their nests can appear like candyfloss. If you walk under one of these when it drops in March you can get a very nasty rash from them. They can be fatal for dogs so you need to be aware of them if you have a pet down there. When they reach the ground they set off nose to tail in chains which gives them their name.

This is what to look for:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/caterpillers-nest.jpg

Nasty little blighters 8-)

re following the route that was in MMM a few months ago, we did that this year . The only problem we found was that several of the aires mentioned no longer existed and that 2 of the campsites were closed for the winter, despite the one having a sign outside saying " Ouvert tout l'annee" which I'm sure means open all year. We are thinking of going Calais, Rouen, Poitiers, Bordeaux, Urrugne, to the border and then take it from there.

Would be interesting to hear from anyone on south coast of Spain at the moment regarding the damage caused by the floods of the last few days- have any campsites been washed away? looking at the news to see how bad it was and somewhat concerned to see part of the A7 motorway washed away as well!

bob

Guest JudgeMental

we took this westerly route last year and it was fine

I would book site as in the winter they can fill with Northern Europeans. ACSI overrated IMO as you can get better rates without it on many sites

site we were on last year sprayed all trees

aim is to head down to Benidorm in the new year.....

Bojitoes - 2012-09-30 12:04 PM

Would be interesting to hear from anyone on south coast of Spain at the moment regarding the damage caused by the floods of the last few days- have any campsites been washed away? looking at the news to see how bad it was and somewhat concerned to see part of the A7 motorway washed away as well!

bob

Benidorm is OK. It rained very heavily on Friday into early Saturday morning but everything cleared up quickly with temperatures of up to 28 degrees yesterday. Only 22 degrees to day.

The wind on Friday was strongish but no damage to any vans or awnings onsite as far as I can see.

The really bad weather was in the Murcia/Malaga area.

JudgeMental - 2012-09-30 12:14 PM

we took this westerly route last year and it was fine

I would book site as in the winter they can fill with Northern Europeans. ACSI overrated IMO as you can get better rates without it on many sites

site we were on last year sprayed all trees

aim is to head down to Benidorm in the new year.....

Might see you there as we will be doing the same

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2012-09-30 12:14 PM

ACSI overrated IMO as you can get better rates without it on many sites

Maybe for you members of the idle classes Eddie ;-).......................but for us oikes who are still keeping UK PLC in the style that it wishes to become accustomed............. with my stealth taxes *-).......

My turn soon :D

Used them for the first time this year. Not many sites in Spain, (It is a French Company) Was not impressed with many of the sites, I think ACSI a much better deal, as you feel obliged to use Cc, as you pay up front Ok as an emergency, but we prefer ACSI

PJay

Dave225 - 2012-09-21 5:39 PM

I agree the sun is usually a lot better than the UK, certainly much better than Scotland. However, things that put me off doing it are:

1. The days are very short and it will get dark about 4 pm. So you need evening entertainment which may be with friends or just with the telly. Bluntly if I want to watch telly I can do that at home. Having friends with cheap wine will probably destroy my liver faster than I do it already, plus conversation will eventually dry up. You can describe your day just so many times.

2. The weather can be bad as well. It snowed in Malaga 2 years ago and friends we knew who had been in Morocco said it had been very cold there, so going even that far south is no guarantee. Mallorca for example can have lots of cloud and drizzle. Barcelona area is notorious for wet weather

3. Sites are usually packed with snowbirders. Get fed up with umpteen 'Morgen' every day. Keep wanting to shoout back 'no, my name is Jones' but the Germans have no sense of humour. Funnily enough they are usually very quiet in late Spring to early Autumn, which is when we tend to go.

4. Costs are more expensive than staying at home, even considering no heating bills. Sites will be 3-400 euros per month and that is a lot of gas. Plus the Council Tax will still need to be paid. Some sites charge for extra electricity useage as well.

5. Christmas is not the same and although I am not a big romantic, seeing the Christmas lights in Edinburgh and of course having the day with family is worth a lot. I know some fly home but that is expensive yet again.

6. The sea is bloody cold so it is the indoor swimming pool, which I can just as easily do at home.

So, while I accept many do it, and enjoy it for us it is not as nice as heading off come Easter time and looking forward to real sun and heat, plus quieter sites. Also the early Autumn has a lot to offer. For example today in Murcia where we are it is 31 degrees and the sea is still 26 degrees.

I don't think Dave writes a lot of twaddle at all, he makes some very good points. Ok the days are not that short and the sun does shine on most days unless you are very unlucky but I think if you still have a house to run back in the UK and you did your home work it DOES cost you more than staying in the UK.

I don't know about others but most of my bills are paid by direct debit and spread over the year so whether I am living in the house or not these are still paid monthly, e.g electricity, gas water, council tax and any subscriptions like telephone line rentals, broadband etc. Ok I turn the hot water off and the heating down. It is a condition of the house insurance heating is left on, even if it wasn't I would be a fool not to protect against burst pipes. In reality winter in Spain saves nothing. From my records I can tell you it cost me £30 more a day to spend some of the winter in Spain in 2011 than the same period spent in the UK in 2010 and 2012!

Good sites are very busy and yes you do get a much better pitch choice and are a lot less like sardines in early Spring and late Autumn and it is also warmer and dryer.

Give me Christmas at home any day with all the family and grandchildren.

peedee

• 3 months later...
Well we are here in Benidorm, been here for 12 days, we must be very unlucky, as the weather leaves a lot to be desired, people on the site say prior to our arrival the weather was in early 20's, with very little wind, since we arrived we have had the odd day or two which has been warm and very nice, but the rest have been cold and windy (very windy at the moment) sitting in the van with the heating on, if things don't improve soon, we are thinking of going home, am so disappointed I could cry.

cheer up,it will improve,i guarantee it,you are just getting the tail end of our weather here [uk] its deep snow,minus 10 to minus 16c.floods forcast next week,news very depressing all the time,anyway its got to improve we hope to arrive Benidorm 8Feb. The SUN always shines on the rightous,!

DONT GO HOME,you will regret it, enjoy,

regards Dave

fairweather camper - 2013-01-24 10:40 AM

Well we are here in Benidorm, been here for 12 days, we must be very unlucky, as the weather leaves a lot to be desired, people on the site say prior to our arrival the weather was in early 20's, with very little wind, since we arrived we have had the odd day or two which has been warm and very nice, but the rest have been cold and windy (very windy at the moment) sitting in the van with the heating on, if things don't improve soon, we are thinking of going home, am so disappointed I could cry.

Forecast is looking much better for next week B-)

Guest pelmetman

Been blowing a warm gale here today 8-)...........................the kitchen tent next door is in rags, along with a few others on site, caravan the other side has lost a skylight, and have taken their awning down as well.............our drive away is still here..........just :-S............

The onsite giant gazebo thing is clanking away now.......probably planing a bid for freedom anytime soon 8-)

But at least its warm :D

Getting worse by the minute, Dave gone up to the huge gazebo to see if there is anything he can do to help, if that thing blows down over the site there is going to be a lot of demage.

SUE

Fairweather Camper - I've been feeling much the same. Been here about the same length of time. Was unwell too yesterday and wished like anything I were home! [Anyone remember Samantha in "Bewitched"? She'd wrinkle her nose and Hey Presto ... that's what I wanted the ability to do, and find myself back home!] Feeling better today, so more optimistic.

Hope those weather reports up thread are accurate! We are just up the coast from you and planning heading in Benidorm direction next week.

Pelmetman - wind here also is quite scary. After reading your post we decided that taking our utility / kitchen tent down is a good idea! Safely packed away now.

It wasn't like this last year!!!

Gwen

Guest pelmetman
Gwendolyn - 2013-01-24 3:39 PM

Pelmetman - wind here also is quite scary. After reading your post we decided that taking our utility / kitchen tent down is a good idea! Safely packed away now.

It wasn't like this last year!!!

Gwen

Gazebo's still here ;-)...........winds dropped a bit as well :D

P1000518web.jpg.21577fc049f77e71cc45e487d255c961.jpg

Archived