2001 Ducato 2.8 JTD, Wobbly Speedo Needle.

BGD

The speedo needle on our just-purchased-here-in-Spain Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD, year 2001, " wobbles" a lot.

At very low speeds it sort of waivers up and down, at higher speeds it's a much faster wobble....at maybe 80kmph it's wobbling around 5kmph.

It's almost as though it "ticks" up and then falls back a little, then ticks up again, over and over.

Not a big issue, but annoying.

The speedo is mechanically driven by a cable which runs down to the top of the gearbox, rather by any fancy electronic sensor thingy.

Have checked cable run and it seems to be fine; no bad bends or crimping.

I'm wondering if it's just a knackered cable, or lacking lubrication maybe?

Has anyone replaced a speedo cable on their Ducato of similar 2001 vintage?

Any thoughts chaps?

...a quick PM to Nick (Euroserv) about common issues might be a good idea. ;-)

Given the professed difficulty of fixing, you may not want to know the contents of my memory.

The Benimar I had was about a year younger than yours. pre-facelift but with the new gearbox and hydraulic clutch from the later 'van - I suspect yours will have the older gearbox (reverse to the right and backwards, opposite 5th).

My memory is that the speedo drive on these suffered from wear or damage to small plastic/nylon components at the gearbox drive end. On searching, I found the following post which seems to confirm that memory (and aligns with your symptoms).

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/fiat/13299-ducato-speedo-2.html

(top post on this page - previous page describes the symptoms).

Hello, I am here!

This is a very rare problem. If there is an audible 'tick' coming from behind the instruments then there could be either a worn cable where it drives the speedo needle, or worse than that the drive 'socket' is damaged and mght need a replacement instrument panel. If there is no noise from that end then it is probably the drive gear that goes into the gearbox that is worn.

I would probably put up with it.

Nick

Going back a few years I had a similar problem with a car, The wire "rope" had started to fray and a strand had broken, In those days, you went to garage that had the wire and a tool to make the ends square to fit into the 'ole at the end.

Too techie now a days, probably under elf and safety, having to use a pair of sharp cutters warrants having an approved training course and a first aider standing by

(I getting older by the day and more grumpy)

Rgds

euroserv - 2012-09-21 11:41 AM

Hello, I am here!

This is a very rare problem. If there is an audible 'tick' coming from behind the instruments then there could be either a worn cable where it drives the speedo needle, or worse than that the drive 'socket' is damaged and mght need a replacement instrument panel. If there is no noise from that end then it is probably the drive gear that goes into the gearbox that is worn.

I would probably put up with it.

Nick

Many thanks Nick.

No ticking noise at all, so maybe it's the gearbox end.........as you say I'll put up with it; the more I drive it the less bothered I am becoming about it, so I reckon I'll just leave it alone.

BGD - 2012-09-21 12:25 AM

The speedo needle on our just-purchased-here-in-Spain Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD, year 2001, " wobbles" a lot.

At very low speeds it sort of waivers up and down, at higher speeds it's a much faster wobble....at maybe 80kmph it's wobbling around 5kmph.

It's almost as though it "ticks" up and then falls back a little, then ticks up again, over and over.

Not a big issue, but annoying.

The speedo is mechanically driven by a cable which runs down to the top of the gearbox, rather by any fancy electronic sensor thingy.

Have checked cable run and it seems to be fine; no bad bends or crimping.

I've had this problem on my Hymer 2002. The cable has been replaced twice in less than 3 years. The first was by Brownhills under warranty, when they managed to make the problem slightly worst. Just a few weeks ago I asked BT Fleet to sort it, the first go was lubrication, (which should not be required) the situation remained the same. The second go was to reroute the cable so there was a more flowing route, this has cured the problem.

The thought was that the A class body had made the routing of the cable too tight (This may have been done by my friends, or is it fiends at Brownhills) once the route was more "flowing" the problem has completely disappeared. Top marks to BT Fleet.

I'm wondering if it's just a knackered cable, or lacking lubrication maybe?

Has anyone replaced a speedo cable on their Ducato of similar 2001 vintage?

Any thoughts chaps?

Archived