hedge scratches

duetto owner

A few years back farmers used to trip their hedgegrows to stop them expanding out and obstruction the road.

This seems to be a forgotten practice these days getting fed up with bush scratches in country lanes or unkept trees with low branches.

these minor scratches are at times hard to polish out. any tips of this please. [metallic silver hitop A/S transit]

anyone else noticed this, you cannot not steer out the way with on coming traffic.

It should be made compulsory for farmers to cut back anything that is a hazard to traffic !! its not just our vans that get scratched our cars get scratched too. :-S and if you notice they wont sacrifice any of their land so a bike track can be made, we pass bikes on our lane every time we go out and they are dicing with death the way some people drive!!

Guest JudgeMental
had a bad case of this with last CB (GRP walled) when up in Wales.....just bought a battery powered polisher from Lidl and lots of elbow grease :-S

maggyd - 2012-09-21 3:51 PM

It should be made compulsory for farmers to cut back anything that is a hazard to traffic !! its not just our vans that get scratched our cars get scratched too. :-S and if you notice they wont sacrifice any of their land so a bike track can be made, we pass bikes on our lane every time we go out and they are dicing with death the way some people drive!!

Why don't you give up some of your garden so a bike track can be made?

colin - 2012-09-21 7:42 PM

Yeah,I thought the same Col'... (lol)

We have just been to Devon for a few days and the roads are getting very narrow because of the hedges not being cut. The noise as you have to pull into the side to get by other vehicles is horrendous i will have to get the toothpaste out to polish the scratches out of the windows, i always seem to meet a lorry at the narrowest parts of the road i'm unlucky like that.

Dave

pepe63 - 2012-09-21 9:22 PM

Dont be STUPID !! I dont live on a main road where one of my neighbours daughters was killed HIT and RUN there isnt even a pavement that links one town to the next.

and if you dont mind me saying so ! you want to grow up and get out of the school yard. >:-( YEAH Col.

maggyd - 2012-09-22 1:57 PM

pepe63 - 2012-09-21 9:22 PM

Dont be STUPID !! I dont live on a main road where one of my neighbours daughters was killed HIT and RUN there isnt even a pavement that links one town to the next.

and if you dont mind me saying so ! you want to grow up and get out of the school yard. >:-( YEAH Col.

Ah the name calling starts, just like the school yard, it seems you find it imposible to be civil on this forum if anyone disagrees with your point of view.

Don't go on and agrivate the vegetarian tree hugging types you know they are out to save the planet and all its creepy crawleys butterfly's and all. It should be made compulsary that all landowners and highways departments cut back the offending tree's and hedgerows at least 3 mtrs from the verges in the name of road safety . All this tit about not disturbing the wildlife is a load of bull wild creatures will adapt to the change of habitat . Get out the chainsaws and lets have a good old bonfire .

...Dont be STUPID !! I dont live on a main road where one of my neighbours daughters was killed HIT and RUN there isnt even a pavement that links one town to the next.

(lol) "Stupid" ?! ..and you expecting farmers to just handover(or "sacifice") their land to provide a pavements/cycle tracks ISN'T stupid?? *-)

...So..IF you DID live on a main road,you would you give up YOUR garden then....'cause you would.. ;-)

(..as for "grow up and get out of the school yard",well it was you started chucking the insults and " >:-( " about... *-) )

Anyway..back to hedges...;-)

We travelled the A39 a couple of weekends back and although the hedges had been trimmed back really well,they were only trimmed up to about 4-5ft(..clearance for cars basically...)

kelly58 - 2012-09-22 4:36 PMDon't go on and agrivate the vegetarian tree hugging types you know they are out to save the planet and all its creepy crawleys butterfly's and all. It should be made compulsary that all landowners and highways departments cut back the offending tree's and hedgerows at least 3 mtrs from the verges in the name of road safety . All this tit about not disturbing the wildlife is a load of bull wild creatures will adapt to the change of habitat . Get out the chainsaws and lets have a good old bonfire .

What a beautifully articulated and insightful view. I too think that ecosystems that cause even slight inconvenience to any human whim should be obliterated without question or regret. The author shows a particularly deep understanding of the ability of organisms to adapt. If only such brilliant minds could be persuaded into positions of influence I think many of the world's problems would be solved at a stroke.

pepe63 - 2012-09-22 7:00 PM

...Dont be STUPID !! I dont live on a main road where one of my neighbours daughters was killed HIT and RUN there isnt even a pavement that links one town to the next.

(lol) "Stupid" ?! ..and you expecting farmers to just handover(or "sacifice") their land to provide a pavements/cycle tracks ISN'T stupid?? *-)

...So..IF you DID live on a main road,you would you give up YOUR garden then....'cause you would.. ;-)

(..as for "grow up and get out of the school yard",well it was you started chucking the insults and " >:-( " about... *-) )

Anyway..back to hedges...;-)

We travelled the A39 a couple of weekends back and although the hedges had been trimmed back really well,they were only trimmed up to about 4-5ft(..clearance for cars basically...)

Yeah,I thought the same Col'...

colin - 2012-09-23 10:40 AM

... it depends on LA funding, as it's ultimatly them who are responsable for it.

I hadn't realised that..I'd just assumed that it wouldv'e been down to who ever owned the hedge...

Oh well..you live'n'learn....

(..not that I'd *dare* admit that I "agree" with now anyway..... (lol) ..)

pepe63 - 2012-09-23 11:20 AM

colin - 2012-09-23 10:40 AM

... it depends on LA funding, as it's ultimatly them who are responsable for it.

I hadn't realised that..I'd just assumed that it wouldv'e been down to who ever owned the hedge...

Oh well..you live'n'learn....

(..not that I'd *dare* admit that I "agree" with now anyway..... (lol) ..)

HA's claim ownership of not only the road but the verges as well, with ownership comes resposability, that includes paying to get it cut.

Archived