diesel mpg

KIMU122

Hi Mr. Bev, That's a difficult question to answer as so many factors affect it. I assume from your sign in name you have a Kimu. I recently had the 102 on test and at a steady 60MPH cruising speed we averaged 26MPG. I beleive the 122 is the low profile variant so you might do better than that. This figure could improve as the miles clock up and the power unit beds in but only if you treat the loud pedal with a lot of respect. D.

A French motorhome magazine quoted 11.2 litres per 100km average for a vehicle with this motor. I make this equivalent to just over 25mpg, which seems about right to me and tallies with Dave Newell's findings. Real world fuel consumption will, of course, be affected by the type of gearbox (manual or auto), overall gearing, the vehicle itself and where and how it is driven. (Incidentally, I understand that Renault Master changes for 2006 include dropping the 3.0 litre motor, replacing it with an uprated 2.5 litre variant.)

Hi kimu122 We have a Knaus Sun Ti 650MF but with the 2.5 engine. The van is 22.5 feet long and is loaded to full 3,500kg weight when touring. It has just over 2200 miles on and is doing just over 29mpg. I know this is not directly comparable to the vehicle you are asking about but it just gives another indicator. By the way - I don't drive too hard!! Regards, david

The manufacturer's quoted figures for both engines referred to above, when fitted to the medium wheelbase, medium roof Combi version of the Renault Master van are: 2.5 dCi 120 (115hp) 26.1 mpg urban; 35.4 mpg outerurban; 31.4 mpg combined 3.0 dCi 140 (136hp) 20.0 urban; 32.5 outerurban; 26.6 combined. Though the 2.5 has less HP, the maximum torque is 90% of the 3.0's and at lower revs: 290 @1600 versus 320 @1800, and the torque curve is flatter. All this is why I chose the 2.5 rather than the 3.0. But 31.4 combined? I have a straight van conversion (MMM June & July issues) and on a recent trip to Norway and 9 other countries, we averaged 31.54 mpg over 5600 miles. So far, including the running-in period with tight engine, we are just on 30.0 mpg for 10,200 miles. In flat Finland, the Baltic States, and Poland, 3 tankfulls averaged 33.5 mpg. But I never cruise above 100kph true (about 66mph on the clock) and I use the anticipatory driving technique, for example, timing my approach to roundabouts to avoid stopping, if possible. Saves lots of wear and tear, makes driving more satisfactory and relaxing, and you have time to see more scenery (but not at roundabouts!). Based on this, I would expect a low profile to manage about 24-25 from the 3.0 and about 28 from 2.5 120. Deduct 2 or 3 mpg from this for an overcab C-Class, and probably 2 mpg for an A Class, but it depends on how slippery the shape is.

In our 2 week trip to France we covered over 2000 miles in our Fiat 2.3JTD low profile and got an average of 28.39 miles to the gallon, not bad going when you consider we were shooting down motorways at the beginning and end then tootling around towns and villages for most of the remaining time, neither of which types of driving are particularly economic ways to travel.

Mel B, Tootling is fine for diesels and TDs, privided you accelerate gently. It's continuous high speed that kills the mpg. Our Iveco used to do 22mpg regardless of hills, tootling, normal cruising, etc., but started to drop mpg when we hit 85 on the m'way to avoid missing that ferry we'd left it a tad too late to catch! And it had an extremely slippery shape.

My husband doesn't understand if I put the 2 words "accelerate" and "gently" together! He thinks he's got a racing car and I often chastise him for beating off the cars at the traffic lights!! On our trip he did do 75mph for quite a while and isn't slow off the mark at any time, so 28mpg isn't a bad return especially since we're lucky to get 25mpg normally, the engine's obviously loosening up nicely now and we're finally getting the improved mpg benefit. As for doing 85mph, you naughty boy!

Hi Kimu Mel E is right about mpg. We have a 3 Litre Renault Master low profile Chausson Allegro o6 model. Below is the first 1500 miles we have covered and we seem to be averaging on a long run about 25mpg. We have started to drive as economicaly as possible now but are quite pleased with 25mpg. Miles Miles Fuel Cost (£) Cost (£) MPG Total (Litres) Total Actual 13 13 82.6 £82.53 £82.53 383 396 79.46 £76.20 £158.73 21.9 375 771 67.76 £66.34 £225.07 25.1 351 1,122 70 £68.53 £293.60 22.8 429 1,551 75.76 £73.41 £367.01 25.7 Hope this helps Chris

Sorry, but cutting and pasting the spreadsheet did not come out as on my excel document. What you have to look for is the last column which shows each time I filled up as being 21.9, 25.1, 22.8 and 25.7 mpg actual for each trip. The last but one column shows the average we are getting overall which is quietly increasing as we started on 22.6 then 23.8, 23.5 and the last fill up worked out at 23.5mpg over 1,5551 miles. As we have only started to run in the van we can see that the mpg is increasing slowly.

Chris (and all), My spreadsheet is slightly different. It shows, at each fill: Litres to full Miles/Kms at that point Instant mph for that fill Weighted average mpg The latter is calculated as 80% of the running weighted average plus 20% of the new instant. (It's called exponetial smoothing.) I set the initial weighted mpg to the mpg for the first fill and it then runs itself. I use 70% and 30% for about the first year to reflect the rapid changes as the engine loosens. The problem with total fuel divided by total miles is that it fails to reflect recent trends, and moving annual averages have much the same problem. Recent trends are useful for spotting possible problems (or a very heavy footed driver!).

Archived