Unladen Weight

Star55

Hi

Does anyone know where I can obtain the accurate figure of the unladen weight of a Hymer B514 SL 2007 model?

We are also experiencing problems with our 12v which keeps cutting out disabling most (but not all) of the feature eg disables the fridge, some lights, external step but other lights remain useable and the water pump also.

Any information would be great thanks

Unladen Weight or MIRO?

These are not the same and anyway have a +/-5% tolerance, so the only way to to weigh

p.s. most makers only quote MIRO, but if you have a CofC this will have unladen weight, but It seems to actualy be MIRO (in our case) and anyway doesn't include dealer/owner fitted items

Hi Stella and welcome to the forum,

May I first ask why you want to know an accurate figure for your unladen weight as this may help us to answer your question.

For example, if it is to calculate your payload then it is rather a meaningless figure as what you really need to know is what allowance do you have left when fully loaded ready for the off.

Or if it is to determine whether you are under or over 3,050 kg for your speed limits then you will need to either strip the MH out to it's appropriate unladen condition (ie no fuel, no driver, no leisure battery, etc, etc) and weigh it OR take the manufacturers figure and adjust for your particular MH, ie add on for towbar, bike rack and deduct for items removed from base spec, ie TV aerial or the like.

Hope this helps a little,

Keith.

PS Have you tried Googling for a weight?

I think our MIRO is 3500 (max weight once full) is this right? so we are looking for the unladen weight - I presume this is the one used for speed restrictions? We note that the 2012 model is 2960 unladen but just wanted to make sure that the earlier model is the same/heavier/lighter?? thanks

Hi again,

It is your MTPLM or GVW which will be 3,500 kg.

Your MIRO (Mass In Running Order) is nearly the same as Unladen BUT includes essential habitation equipment so is slightly heavier.

You are right however that it is your true Unladen weight which governs your speed limit and this is what you do need to ascertain.

Keith.

Is the MIRO or any other condition quoted in your handbook, sales brochure or any other document you may have?

If so it will normally state the conditions it is taken at, ie includes driver at 75 kg, 90% fuel, etc. You can then estimate your unladen weight from this.

Without any info other than MTPLM (3,500 kg) your only option may be to strip out and visit a weighbridge :-(

Keith.

Star55 - 2012-09-23 4:48 PM

Thanks Keith - so any ideas where we might find this - hunted through the manual, searched on line.....I wouldn't like to assume that the 2012 figure applies to our model.

Stella

As I stated above you must take any online unladen or MIRO figures as only a guideline, the manufacturers have +/-5 tolerances and they don't take in to account any extra's added by the dealer or owner. so if your van is quoted as close to 3050kg this may make a differance

Stella

This .pdf file provides details of a German-specification 2007 Hymer B-514SL:

http://www.hymer.ag/medien/pdf/1168621396-PL_GoldEdition_RZ.pdf

The B-514SL's "Technisch zulässige Gesamtmasse" (Technically permissible maximum weight) is given as 3500kg (with the option of 3700kg, which would provide increased payload). The "Masse in fahrbereitem Zustand" (Mass in running order MIRO) is given as 3087kg, but this figure will include weight allowances for a driver and diesel fuel, and (almost certainly) weight allowances for fresh-water and gas also. Looking at the specifcation for a basic B-514SL and factoring in, say, a conservative 235kg for those allowances would produce an unladen weight of around 2850kg.

The 3050kg figure that impacts on UK speed restrictions was discussed in some depth here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27935&start=1

Hymer won't provide an 'unladen weight' figure that conforms to the UK's definition of that term, as the datum has no useful relevance outside the UK. And, even though a motorhome's unladen weight does affect a motorhome's legal speed limits in the UK, neither will this information be provided by UK motorhome manufacturers!

The 2960kg figure you quote for a 2012 model will be its MIRO, and, as the 2007 version's MIRO was given as 3087kg, it would seem that the 2012 model is somewhat lighter than than the 2007.

If your interest in your motorhome's unladen weight is academic (ie. you are not actually being prosecuted for speeding and are not going to rely on the 3050kg weight as a defence), then I suggest you stop worrying about it, as a MIRO of 3087kg should result from an unladen weight below 3050kg.

You won't find an 'official' unladen-weight datum for your Hymer, but, if you are going to have nightmares about this issue, (as has already been advised in Keithl's first posting) to obtain your Hymer's unladen weight you'd need to reduce it to a state conforming to the UK's unladen-weight definition and then have the vehicle weighed.

Archived