2011 Fiat Ducato Headlamp Protectors & Cab Window Wind/Rain Deflectors.

Frank McAuley

Hi Frank,

I obtained my headlamp protectors from Van Comfort and they are relatively easy to fit. They come complete with masks for the headlamp beam deflection which I leave on and only use them when we go abroad. To fit you need to remove the two small triangular section on either wing - there are two bolts inside the engine bay - they are a tight fit but I gently prised them upward using a large flat screwdriver. A stainless steel clip is positioned beneath these sections and held inplace when the section is pushed back into place. the clip has a short hook end which inserts into a slot in the top of the deflector. With the deflector now in position two plastic clips are inserted in the gap at the bottom of the deflector between the headlamp and the bodywork. These hold the deflector in place but can be removed to take the deflector off and the stainless steel clip left in place.

My wind deflectors were purchased on Ebay from a company called automotive_jandj - if you search for fiat ducato wind deflectors they are currently advertised at £30.95 + £2.99 postage. I have purchased sets for the van and a previous car and received excellent service. They are also straightforward to fit. They have double sided tape and some stainless steel clips that push into the channel once they are fitted. To fit with the window down insert the top corner into the channel and they are flexible enough to bend the long forward leg slightly to insert that into the channel. Then push the clips into the channel using a flat screwdriver to push them fully home.

Good luck

David

I have a pair of these for my van although it is the previous model so not sure how you fit the new model. Mine just clip on and are fitted and/or removed in seconds. They come with little blanking patches and markings so they are ready for continental touring.

Bit pricey but in my opinion a lot better than the stick on ones which you have to replace every trip and also protect the headlights from stone damage etc.

You can view them here and see what you think:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUCATO-HEADLIGHT-PROTECTORS-BEAM-DEFLECTOR-06-to-DATE-WITH-BEAM-DEFLECTORS-/390424541761?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae71dba41

Mike

gj1023 - 2012-09-23 8:46 PM

I got deflectors for my Boxer from micks garage , they do Ducato ones to only £32 I think. Also on the page they have video of how to fit them , very useful. Good firm to deal with, found them to be the cheapest.

Gary

Link here (but note that 2006-onwards Boxer/Ducato wind-deflectors are currently unavailable from Micks Garage)

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=169836&pk=829EB

We had them on our previous Transit but the jury is still out on whether to get them for the Ducato as the headlight isn't glass.

If anyone is after a set for the latest style of Transit let me know as mine are available - at some point I'll get round to sticking them on ebay! :-D

Do not forget the often common fundamental reason for using protectors for attaching beam masks (they are not deflectors but masks) to protect the plastic lenses as the heat build up where the mask is attached directly causes a hot spot and the plastic is likely to craze. Glass lenses do not suffer from this problem. The fact you now have the covers, protecting the headlamps, you might as well leave them on.

Not sure if you have made your mind upo yet Frank but the wind deflectors are a great piece of kit - plenty of air circulation without the turbulence!

As far as headlight protectors well,as Brambles says, the existing headlights are plastic and a little more resistant to stone damage but I did get my protectyors purely for the convenience of being able to mask the headlights without the possibility of crazing from heat buildup. As for 'relative' cost I didn't really think they were a lot compared to the initial outlay for the van!

David

Archived