Does anyone hire out their motorhome? Using a hire company?

kevandali

Hi Everyone, Unfortunately, we are unable to use our motorhome as much as we would wish and are thinking of hiring it out through a motorhome hire company.

We have considered the extra wear and tear and excess mileage but is something we are considering but not made our minds up yet.

Just wondered if any of you lot hired out your pride and joy and if so, who with.

Thanks in advance for all the info, I am sure someone will be along with advice/info/views.

Kev :-)

I suppose it depends how much of a trashing you are able to deal with.

We saw loads of hire vans out on the road in the Highlands of Scotland this year and they were not well-loved. One bloke was using one as a battering ram on a lane with much low hanging oak (not flimsy), and another 2012 model we saw had lumps missing all over the place.

Even with a careful screening process and the best will in the world 'vans are not sturdy things.

I would flip it on its head, sell my 'van, and hire one when I wanted one.

Guest pelmetman

I agree with Crinkly ;-)............If you are very attached to you vehicle as we are with Horace, I'd think your'd be forever worrying about it when its out on hire :-S.......

My brothers step son has recently bought a second camper to hire out............but he approached it as a business from the start, and has (I think) a website through which he hires out other peoples vehicles as well ;-)...............

Guest JudgeMental

This has been done to death before, lots of info using the site "search" function.

Major flaws insurance for one. and what if they dont bring it back...Police will probably not be bothered as you have given them the keys and waved them goodbye :-D

I used the search facility before I posted but did not work, however, I have read enough, in my and 'the other arf's' opinion, not one of our best ideas. We havn't had it that long and would be gutted if it got wrecked or damaged in some way.

Thanks for all the info though.

Have hired vans and theres no way I'd hire ours out, they seem to pick up all sorts of damage, a lot is fairly minor and of no real consequence for hiring, but for the private owner would not be nice. Last van we hired in UK was 2 years old and was the 'best' one they had of this age but they usualy replaced at 2 years due to wear and tear.

Archived