UK FUEL PRICES!!!!

Bulletguy

Just what the hell is going on in this country???

Arrived back in UK over the weekend to one hell of a shock.

Diesel at my local Morrisons is now a mind boggling staggering £1.42 per litre..........£1.42 !!!!!

Throughout Europe the very highest I paid was in Germany at £1.16, and they think that's extortionate. Poland was around £1 - 1.05, and even Austria just £1.06.

Living costs in the UK have gone stratospheric compared with other European countries, yet people here seem to be like lemmings with white sticks meekly accepting whatever is 'thrown' at them.

Bulletguy

This webpage lists current AVERAGE fuel prices throughout Europe

http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/

Use of an in-euro price for each country allows a valid comparison to be made and, although the UK's fuel prices are high, they certainly are not the highest. Good job you didn't visit Norway or Turkey.

Obviously service-station forecourt prices can vary significantly, as anyone who regularly travels in France will know.

I'm unconvinced that "Living costs in the UK have gone stratospheric compared with other European countries". Although people in the UK moan endlessly about this (When did they ever not?), there are other EU countries where living is far from fun for their inhabitants.

Our friends own a holiday home in Portugal that they have been trying to sell for quite a while. They told me that property in Portugal was being repossessed everywhere, then being auctioned off at bargain-basement prices (as happened in the UK not that long ago). This had seriously deflated Portugese house prices and the only interest in their Portugese property that had been shown recently had involved a French couple.

Diesel fuel is less expensive in Greece and Portugal than in the UK, but would you currently prefer to live in either of those countries than here merely because diesel happens to be cheaper?

Guest JudgeMental
kelly58 - 2012-09-25 8:47 AM

If you think thats outrageous you want to see the price of domestic heating oil @ 61p ltr 1500ltrs + 5% vat best part of £1000.00 which you have to pay up front unlike gas / electric with monthly dd's.

We bought a quality wood burning stove last winter and best thing we ever done...cut our gas bill to a fraction of what it was.

dropped son of at Swansea Uni at weekend and fuel was £1.44 that is 1.80 € a litre...most expensive fuel in Europe. It is a complete scandal. in CB on long european jaunts we would sometimes fill up twice a day....now with panel van much more economical. Fuel is not going to get any cheaper any time soon *-)

Easy to find fuel at supermarkets in France for 1.38 €

Italy quoted as 1.76 € (£1.40) but shopping around we never payed more then 1.65 € and mostly 1.55 € but we did see petrol at over 2 € a litre!

Croatia was £1.10

So UK now @ £1.44 very expensive I think.....That being said the goverment will get our money one way or the other, and we are an overcrowded country so if it calms the amount of traffic and cuts down on unnecessary journeys, gets people out of cars and on to public transport maybe not that bad. Better then more blunt direct taxation which has no bearing on usage...This way a salesman doing 40,000 pays more tax than granny doing 4000 that has to be right.

Guest pelmetman

Ditto the multi fuel stove and we often cook our dinner on it B-).....................and get by on a lot less oil than our neighbours, we use about a 1000 litres a year where as they use 3000 8-)

Last fill up here 137.9 euro........

Bulletguy - 2012-09-25 1:17 AM

Diesel at my local Morrisons is now a mind boggling staggering £1.42 per litre..........£1.42 !!!!!

Throughout Europe the very highest I paid was in Germany at £1.16, and they think that's extortionate. Poland was around £1 - 1.05, and even Austria just £1.06.

Living costs in the UK have gone stratospheric compared with other European countries, yet people here seem to be like lemmings with white sticks meekly accepting whatever is 'thrown' at them.

Why would this be a shock? diesel has been between 20 to 30 pence a litre cheaper in France than the UK for years now have you just noticed this. Petrol though in the UK is cheaper than France. UK costs are on the whole cheaper, try buying most electrical white goods in europe, most clothing and food is more expensive so fail to see living costs in UK are any higher. As to the meekly accepting it bit, how daft is that, what do you suggest or are you meekly accepting it as well.

Using solid-fuel heating just offsets the cost of an another fuel like oil or gas.

Our house has oil-fuelled space heating that can also produce domestic hot water. Hot water can be produced by 230V too. We had a multi-fuel stove installed in 1993 and we use this from mid-October to mid-March for space heating. This means that we don't use a lot of oil annually compared with my neighbour who just uses oil for heating. But the cost of some 4 tonnes of logs burnt during the October-March period is not small (and increasing each year), never mind the labour involved in storing the wood convenient to the house.

Unless someone gives you suitable wood, the initial cost of the stove and the cost (and inconvenience) of burning logs for domestic heating may prove less attractive than at first sight. Even if you happen to own, or have access to, land from which you can source the logs yourself, it will still be hard, time-consuming work to turn trees into domestic fuel.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2012-09-25 10:39 AM

Unless someone gives you suitable wood, the initial cost of the stove and the cost (and inconvenience) of burning logs for domestic heating may prove less attractive than at first sight. Even if you happen to own, or have access to, land from which you can source the logs yourself, it will still be hard, time-consuming work to turn trees into domestic fuel.

One of the advantages of being in Pouffes & Pelmets is wood off cuts ;-)................If I didn't burn them I'd have to pay for trade waste collection 8-).........

If you look at the history of fuel prices you will see that it took some time to pass the psychological barrier of £1 per litre. Once that happened and the public accepted it the race was on to reach £1.50. I suspect the price will hover about £1.40 towards the magic figure for a while yet then once reached It'll start again to reach £2.00. It is a time honoured political trick called bruising, just enough to dull the senses then go for the kill.

chas - 2012-09-25 10:58 AM

Passed a garage yesterday £1.49 litre diesil, good job the supermarkets are trying to keep the cost down. :-(

Must remember us Plebs in this country are all in it together, so Dave says. :D

BIB.....I am sure will go down in history as one of the craziest statements a Politician has uttered, similar to Tebbits "on yer bike" quote back in the 80s when preaching to the unemployed how to get work! *-)

Cameron would have come closer to the truth had he said "i'm alright Jack".

I have been expecting it for some time, it was bound to happen sooner or later and I had my first experience of it this week when the pump said " £99 and that's your lot mate"!!!!!!!!! I pulled into an on-route Asda to fill up and being the first full tank in the new MH I was keen to see what the actual mpg was. Pulling up at the 'pay @ pump' station I discovered that with todays prices for the first time my quarter full tank took the £99 and asked for more. Ok, once I calmed down I started a second transaction to finish filling the tank only to be told " transaction cancelled daily limit reached" Is this just an Asda thing or do all "pay@pump" system limit you to £99/day?

Last Sunday in France I used my pre-paid Caxton Euro card to put in 25 Euros worth of fuelm, just get us safely to our next destination. We carried on and stopped at a supermarket to stock up with some food and the card was rejected so we paid by cash. When I checked the balance on the card there was 175 Euros missing. I went to the Caxton web site to check the account and went to the Q&A page where it says that automated fuel pumps take out a deposit for fuel and credit it back once the transaction has cleared which could be upto 15 days. They said this is common practice with all cards and also applies if you use a card to book in to a hotel. The money actually went back on the card the following day. For the next lot fuel I used my Barclaycard and when I checked they had debited  an extra £100 which was returned 2 days later.

So beware if you run near to your card limit you may have trouble getting fuel using your card.

Diesel price in France varied from Euros 1.33/ltr to 1.56/ltr

Cliffy - 2012-09-29 10:24 PM

Diesel price in France varied from Euros 1.33/ltr to 1.56/ltr

It's worth pointing out by taking the highest figure of €1.56 at the current exchange rate equates to just £1.24 a litre.

And then some folk would have you believe there is little difference in the price of fuel between UK and France.

A petrol station owner in the Western Isles has just reduced his prices by 9p PER LITRE. He claims he is able to do this because he has changed his supplier. If he can what can others do. So much for here is no profit in selling petrol.!!!

Copy of article from Stornoway Gazette below.

News

Sport

Lifestyle

Community

Search site

Sunday 30 September 2012

Find it Jobs Property Motors Announcements

You are hereNews>Local Headlines

Sponsored byIsland retailer drops fuel prices

Published on Wednesday 26 September 2012 08:36

A small island fuel retailer has dropped their prices for petrol and diesel to nearly 10p a litre less than fuel stations in Stornoway.

Gordon Diesel’s in Back have cut the price of petrol to 139.9p and diesel to 143.9p.

Local Fair Fuel Solutions campaign group highlighted the change and said this was evidence of ‘something very odd going on in the fuel market in the islands’.

Campaign spokesperson Callum Ian Macmillan said: “These price movements are the opposite to those that any economist would expect in a competitive market where the larger suppliers clearly have the advantage of economies of scale.”

He also called for a a ‘transparent, objective and forensic’ investigation by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) into the current market in the islands.

Email to a friend Print this page

TOP STORIES

Promoting woodland crofts

Travelling gallery to visit Western Isles

Council to hold economic development conference

New brand to boost Western Isles economy

Funding for new North Uist school

NEWS

Local Headlines

Scottish Headlines

Features

Showbiz

Weather

Emags

Health

Local Election Live

Log in/sign up to post or report a comment. Comments must adhere to our house rules.

Hi Charlie,

A few weeks back your Morrisons ( Alness ) was 5p a litre cheaper ( diesel ) than ours

down here in sunny Lancashire on the same day !!!.

Our refinery is only 35 miles or so from here, so it wasn`t the transport costs.

Regards.

Graham

Guest Peter James
Bulletguy - 2012-09-25 1:17 AM

Won't last, because when Sir Mervin King cranks up the printing presses again and inflates the pound back to parity with the Euro, fuel prices will work out about the same in both countries again, around £1.80 a litre

70% is tax, so diesel prices in Britain won't rise as fast as everything else when hyperinflation sets in

Archived