Ducato 2002 Air Bag Fault

listy100

The air bag fault light is illuminated on the dash. I've replaced the Air bag ECU and checked the seatbelt pre tensioners but the fault light remains on. Fault occurred when I was changing a fuse (with the ignition on), so I've only got myself to blame!

Has anyone got any ideas where to look/what to check next?

Hello,

Make sure that you have your radio code to hand first (just in case), but I would try disconnecting the battery for an hour or two and see if that clears it otherwise it's a trip to a Fiat dealer because only thier Examiner tool will remove the fault code. The aftermarket units are not allowed into the airbag systems.

Nick

Thanks for your response Nick-the Fiat garage can't identify the fault, they say it just comes up with a "general air bag fault" when they plug in their diagnostic tool. Most annoying. They reckon they'll need to do a few more hours of fault finding to identify the cause of the air bag light.

Something's not right with what you're being told. I went through this earlier in the year with our 2004 Ducatto. After being messed about by others, I ended up at Camper UK in Lincoln who are Fiat Service Agents and who diagnosed a fault with the air bag ECU. They charged 0.5 hours labour for the diagnostic (£34) and were able to check all the various elements of the air bag system, ECU, tensioners, air bag, steering wheel spring etc. etc. in that time. It did cost us a new ECU - because that's where the fault was - and that wasn't cheap but we and they were confident that this would solve the problem given that everything else had been eliminated by the diagnostic. Fitting of the ECU followed by removal of the error code was another 0.5 hours labour which was more than reasonable.

You say you've replaced the ECU. Where did you get the ECU from? Is it the specific one to your van? If it's simply a Ducatto ECU from a Ducatto van from a wreckers then it may be the wrong one. There are various different ECUs depending whether your van has one or two air bags and/or one, two or three seat belts. Camper vans of that sort of age tend to have one air bag and two seat belts and that is a set up that is very, very rare in normal Ducatto vans meaning that the correct air bag ECU is not something you tend to find in the wreckers.

FD

Archived