Andrew Mitchell

nightrider

Shortened word taken from Plebian used from Roman times, meaning according to Wiki.

The plebs were the general body of free land-owning Roman citizens (as distinguished from slaves and the capite censi) in Ancient Rome. They were the non-aristocratic class of Rome, and consisted of freed people, shopkeepers, crafts people, skilled or unskilled workers and farmers[1]. Members of the plebs were also distinct from the higher order of the patricians. A member of the plebs was known as a plebeian ( /pl?'bi??n/; Latin: plebeius). This term is used today to refer to one who is or appears to be of the middle or lower order; however, in Rome plebeians could become quite wealthy and influential.

Bas

I think it's meaning in today's world is much more demeaning than that Basil!

Much ado about nothing comes to mind?

Can't a guy just get irritated with authority now and then without a media witch hunt?

Aren't the police here to protect, help and advise rather than whinge at a bit of name calling?

When a bunch of yobs on the street insult and hassle the cops they seem able to take it in their stride, calm the situation and rise above it as per their training - so why not this time?

On the other hand if one approached a secure gate with a bike and could see that a smaller gate was already unlocked would you or I not just head for the available gate?

The whole thing is ridiculous and does the public image of the police force no favours in my view?

My thoughts on this are:

1. The barrier is there for security/protection, every time it is opened the security is reduced - if a car is pulling out through it at least it would 'fill' the gap, however a bicycle wouldn't thus the security risk is even greater.

2. The policy is, apparently, for bicycles to use the pedestrian entrance (not to ride through it though), so why isn't he abiding by it? What makes him different to everyone else?

3. Whether the Police were being 'jobs-worths' or not is irrelevant, the policy is there and they should enforce it ... if something happened because they'd opened the barrier who do you think would be getting the b*llocking!

4. Whether or not he agreed with the policy, and the request to use the pedestrian entrance, he should have taken it up with whoever made the policy at another time, not the Police for enforcing it.

5. Whilst denying that the words reported are those that he used he is making the Police out to be liars. Whether this is the case or not we may never know, however, what he HASN'T done is say what he DID SAY!!! If what he claims he said isn't so bad, then why not repeat it ... there are only 2 conclusions I can come to for this and they are that he either DID say what is being reported, or what he said was actually WORSE!

6. From what I've heard he doesn't seem to be a very nice man anyway so I must admit I am tending to believe the Police's version of events, rather than his.

7. Regardless of the circumstances, he should not have been abusive to the Police ... end-of! He is the person who is in charge of the 'House of Commons' to ensure that order is kept, for him to act in this way is totally wrong and brings into question his attitude generally.

Mel B - 2012-09-25 6:51 PMHe is the person who is in charge of the 'House of Commons' to ensure that order is kept, for him to act in this way is totally wrong and brings into question his attitude generally.

Quite right Mel............from radio and TV 'reports' and comments from his peers in 'The House' he is something of a verbal (occasionally foul mouthed) bully.  Looks to me like he has an over inflated sense of self importance.

Tracker - 2012-09-25 6:24 PM

I think it's meaning in today's world is much more demeaning than that Basil!

Much ado about nothing comes to mind?

Can't a guy just get irritated with authority now and then without a media witch hunt?

Aren't the police here to protect, help and advise rather than whinge at a bit of name calling?

When a bunch of yobs on the street insult and hassle the cops they seem able to take it in their stride, calm the situation and rise above it as per their training - so why not this time?

On the other hand if one approached a secure gate with a bike and could see that a smaller gate was already unlocked would you or I not just head for the available gate?

The whole thing is ridiculous and does the public image of the police force no favours in my view?

Quite agree richard. Who would get upset at a bit of name calling? All it does is demean the one doing it, right?.

RogerC - 2012-09-25 6:59 PM
Mel B - 2012-09-25 6:51 PMHe is the person who is in charge of the 'House of Commons' to ensure that order is kept, for him to act in this way is totally wrong and brings into question his attitude generally.

Quite right Mel............from radio and TV 'reports' and comments from his peers in 'The House' he is something of a verbal (occasionally foul mouthed) bully.  Looks to me like he has an over inflated sense of self importance.

Rumour has it, he overdosed on his self importance pills that morning.

peter - 2012-09-25 8:03 PM

Still talking out your arse I see.

No Peter I leave that particular speciality to you as you are the acknowledged leader in being offensive without provocation.

Nobody will ever be able to challenge you for the title of undisputed Mr Nasty of the Forum.

Why do you continue to post anything at all when you invariably have nothing constructive to say, nothing to add to any topic and the best you can ever muster is an insult.

Once again you prove the point.

You need help.

Now you're just making stuff up. Where did I write that. You're a trouble maker trying to besmirch my good nature as a happy go lucky kind of guy who wouldn't upset anybody.

No Mel I'm sorry but I am getting pretty brassed off with Peter continually throwing insults and trying to hide them as humour and I will not let his nastiness and narrow minded snide go unanswered whenever he chooses to have another of his tantrums or mouths off another unprovoked attack at me.

I would not mind if he ever tried to post a reasoned or interesting comment or if he ever tried to help anyone in need of support on this forum but all he ever posts is snide one liners .

It's time he sought help for his paranoia which has now sunk to editing out what he initially said - presumably because he was unable to come up with any meaningful response.

There is nobody else on this forum that behaves like this and ignoring him does not stop him so maybe publicising his infantile behaviour might eventually make him realise what a silly little man he truly is.

Judging by messages of support I am not alone in this view.

This Mitchell guy who by all accounts is a wealthy man appears to be of the opinion that the wealthy should not have to contribute more in tax to get this country back on its feet and that poorer ordinary Joe should pay more, why? its the greedy wealthy that have dropped us into the mire going after more and more money.

Clegg says welfare benefits will have to be pruned, b******* welfare benefits have not been given to those in need willy-nilly they have been hard fought and won for, we are a wealthy country by all accounts? But how long for taking into account the millions given to 3rd world countries who show not one jot of gratitude, charity begins at home.

Percy - 2012-09-26 1:50 PM

Oh dear! This is the first post I have read on here and to be truthful I'n not very impressed with a couple of the comments, or the enormous gap in the middle. *-) Handbags at dawn seem in order :-(

Welcome to the forum Percy - most of us will make you welcome when you join in and try to answer any queries you may have. Most of us try to offer a point of view without personal attacks or being offensive about previous postings but a few are unable to master that art as yet!

The gap in the middle of a single posting is usual but is easy to do and it is just Peter trying to make a point - although exactly what kind of point remains a mystery!

The forum is not usually like this although it must be said that like all forms of communication we do get misunderstandings (some deliberate) and ongoing spats from time to time most of which get resolved peacefully eventually.

However there is a history of animosity by Peter towards me going back a few years and in spite of me offering the hand of friendship and an agreement not to provoke each other on more than one occasion he still just can't resist being an unpleasant and silly little boy.

Anyone got a nice heavy handbag I can borrow please for the bag fight at the grumpy corral!

knight of the road - 2012-09-26 5:48 PM

Tracker,

Why not challange Peter to a duel? I am the finest swordsman in all of France I can give you some hints and tips.

Merci beaucoup D'artagnon mon ami - I am happy to be your second, hold your coat and watch whilst you administer a little prick or two.

JohnP - 2012-09-26 7:18 PM

Why is Andrew Mitchell riding around London without a helmet? Camerons the same when you see him on the News with his bike he's always carrying his helmet.

He'll need more than a helmet when D'artagnon gets him!

I used to know an elderly Cornish gentleman who had a bike but never wore a helmet or trouser clips to protect his baggies - but then again he never rode the bike either - it just stopped him falling over as he walked home from the pub at chucking out time!

Percy - 2012-09-26 1:50 PM

Oh dear! This is the first post I have read on here and to be truthful I'n not very impressed with a couple of the comments, or the enormous gap in the middle. *-) Handbags at dawn seem in order :-(

Hi Percy, welcome to the forum ... ignore the grumps on here, someone must've nicked the teddy bears I think! :D

Not sure what handbags they'd need though, probably a nice bright pink faux leather one for Peter with lots of gold effect 'bling' on it, and a more restrained 'ethnic' weave type for Tracker!!!! (lol)

Guest Peter James

Its not the bad language thats the main concern.

Its that Mitchell's account fundamentally differed from that given by the Police Officers.

So either a Senior Government Official or the Police have been lying.

Would be a poor state of affairs to just let that go.

Mitchell tried to deal with it in a very shifty way. He wouldn't answer questions, just gave a statement. He said he didn't use the words attributed to him, but wouldn't say what he actually said. Which suggests to me he was waiting to see what evidence there was against him before tailoring his story to fit.

I think he is used to arguing with 'plebs' who are not Police Officers, and so getting away with it.

But, of course, Police Officers know all these tricks themselves, so were having none of them.

Archived