Transit leisure battery charging.

jimcarolan

Hi, I have a new motorhome based on the Transit Jumbo which had two batteries as standard, plus now, the leisure battery that was installed as part of the conversion. It has a CBE PC100 system. The leisure battery has run completely flat, and there is a "ticking" when the engine is running as the "battery parallel" relay flicks in and out, so obviously the leisure battery is not charging. I am guessing that the problem relates to the fact that the van has already got a split charging system, but I have no idea how to fault find the problem. Might it be that the converter has connected to the wrong original van battery? Thank you in advance for any help that you can offer....

Jim

As you say it is a 'new' motorhome surely the first port of call for this problem should be to take it back to the dealership for investigation and rectification if necessary?

If it's not 'new' then as you say you have no idea of how to 'fault find' then once again a dealership or garage capable of servicing motorhomes would be first choice to sort the problem.  Playing with electrics if you don't know what you're doing (in these days of CANBUS systems)means it is almost an impossible proposition to sort it yourself.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forum, Jim.

I'm unsure how one might best marry a CBE PC-100 system (my own Hobby motorhome has one of these) + extra leisure-battery with the Transit's dual-battery set-up. As you say, the Transit standard dual-battery arrangement will incorporate a split-charging arrangement, which is also an integral part of the CBE system.

Assuming that you wanted to add the capacity of the Transit's 'accessories-battery' to that of your leisure-battery, I think what I'd do is disconnect the accessories-battery and then make sure that the CBE system is connected up in the manner described in the CBE instruction manual.

In basic terms, this would have the Transit's 'starter-battery' and the extra leisure-battery connected to the CBE DS-300 Distribution Box, with all the other bits and bobs (CBE control-panel, on-board battery-charger, lights, fridge, etc.) being connected to the Distribution Box as per the CBE wiring diagram. I'd then parallel-connect the extra leisure-battery to the accessories-battery so that they act electrically as a single leisure-battery.

It's possible that the converter has connected the CBE system to the wrong Transit battery, and that a simple alteration will fix the problem. But, without being familiar with how this type of Transit dual-battery arangement is wired up, or what your converter has done, I've no idea if that's likely to be the case.

It's something that you should dump back into the converter's lap, as altering the installation on a trial basis may do more harm than good.

Thank you gentlemen. I have moved the supply to the rear of the two Transit batteries, and then ran a jump lead from the negative of the leisure battery to the negative of the van battery and the system is now charging. As I think that all the negatives are grounded, I now propose to earth the leisure battery negative to the chassis near where it is mounted under the seating in the rear as it is too difficult to run a wire all the way beck to the van battery.

regards

Jim

Archived