Listening to live radio on smartphone - one for the teckies

Way2Go

I'm trying to discover whether listening to the radio on a smartphone incurs data usage charges. I appreciate that if you stream something via the internet then this counts as data usage and I will incur a charge but does this still apply listening to the 'free' radio?

I can listen to the radio on my MP3 player without cost so cannot see why I shouldn't be able to listen to the radio on my smartphone free of data charges.

My phone is using the new Android ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) 4.0.3. Is there an app to give me free radio or does everything have to be streamed via the internet costing me data charges?

Many thanks for your advice.

W2G

Take care!

Most smartphones have an app that enables a standard radio (receiving conventional radio signals via the headphones as an aerial). This will not cost you anything (though I find the nature of the reception variable, depending on location and the specific 'phone). You can often check that this is the method of operation by attempting to start it without earphones attached - whereon it will complain that it hasn't got an aerial. (There is also a fairly conventional tuning/scanning by frequency capability, which is not required for internet-based apps, and obviously, you could turn off wifi and data, and check whether the app works - if it does, it will be conventional radio).

There are also apps (and you may have one pre-loaded - I have) which will stream the normal stations via the web, thereby incurring data charges. The station to be played is selected from a list, rather than tuned by frequency.

Also, beware of 'add-ons' in the conventional radio app which may use data (such as going off to the web to check what a piece of music is).

Many thanks for the swift and great replies.

I'd spent ages with my friend Google and all I could find was info on streaming radio stations via the internet which looks very expensive.

I've looked through the apps and have indeed found one that behaves the way you said regarding connecting the earphone.

Many thanks again - much appreciaated.

W2G

Hi Barry et al

Your Q interested me cos I had the same worries when I bought my smartphone earlier this year. Couldn't understand why I couldn't get FM without the SIM in. I was concerned there might be data charges for radio but it turned out the SIM just has to be present to enable the phone to behave... er like... er.. . a phone! or do any of its other tricks like being a radio.

As regards a data usage monitor, If your provider doesn't provide, try 3G watchdog. Its a dinky app that just sits there and counts every bite. (ho ho)

Archived