Toll Roads in Portugal

Cal

Help. We are new to motorhoming this is our second year and we are going to Portugal shortly. Can anyone advise of the best way to pay for use of toll roads. Have looked on internet and am now totally confused.

Also does anyone know of a good campsite about 100/150k from Santander where we can stay on our way to Portgual.

Welcome Cal.

We were in Portugal early this year and only used the Motorways through Lisbon and Oporto, they are now electronic how they work I have no idea not much help there I am afraid.

A good campsite on the way down through Spain is Burgos there is another at Haro, we have used the Burgos site a couple of times. Burgos is worth a days stop its an easy walk into town along the River or there is a bus. The Cathederal is worth a visit, and a nice townto wander round someinteresting buildings.

Good luck.

David

I know you are asking about Campsites and I agree about Burgos, but did you know that there are official Aires at Vitoria Gasteiz ,Palencia and Casseres all free and all very good, I have used them all, Portugese Tolls are  a mystery, we never paid any last winter when we were there .

On all the "automatic" toll sections of the motorway along the Algarve coast, just don't bother trying to pay.

No-one else does.

Especially not anyone with a non-Portuguese registered vehicle, as there's no enforcement system.

There's no way that the toll Company (it is a Private company, not part of the Government) can trace your vehicle, and they ain't got the manpower anyway.

All the Spanish motorhome forum members consistently say exactly that.

We are over there every year on that coastal section for maybe a month or more each Jan/Feb in our Spanish reg'd MH, and use the Algarve motorway in our MH/on our 125cc scooter as and when we want to.

Obviously though on the manned sections of motorway elsewhere in Portugal ) mainly up the Western coast, you pay as you use it, as you come to a barrier-controlled toll-booth at the end of each section.

Archived