How often should my bits a pieces be serviced?

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
Brambles - 2012-09-26 11:19 PM

Should - every year

Reality - every 2 years

Pelmetman's - Once every 19 years. So yours are overdue by a year.

But do you refer to the habitation service where I believe they are checked every year ;-)................or are they pulled out of their orifices and given a good seeing to ? ;-)

I reckon mine are due a good seeing too................as it worked fine on gas earlier in the day, but we went over some mega bumpy roads today 8-)..................

I'm not against bumpy roads per say as they cured the light in the bog ;-)................and have cured the bog as well in the past 8-).....................maybe I have stumbled over my own cure ;-)

If not I'll have to pay for a service when I get home ;-)...............every 22 years whether it needs it or not :D

Behind a fridge/water boiler etc in your MH, what is there to actually "service"?

And every time you use that piece of kit, you are "checking" it anyway.

There are no moving parts that need lubrication.

Nothing that wears and needs adjustment as part of its life-cycle.

Only a bit of dust build up to gently remove with a soft paintbrush/hoover, which I do myself.

With a 1990 motorhome, if the fridge, cooker and heating system all work OK I suggest you leave them alone until something goes wrong.

Assuming you have the historic UK arrangement of a flexible gas-hose with jubilee-clips - with the hose connecting an on-bottle regulator to the motorhome's 'fixed' gas pipework - it might be worth changing the hose annually as a safety measure.

Dave, similar thing happened to my fridge and it was a broken wire in the fridge ligniter (corrosion, AGE) once fridge was halfway out it was simple to fix. Had to replace some more wire's thoe to be on the safe side.

This is what happen's when you leave a dog in charge :-D

Does the fridge work when you are on the move?

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2012-09-27 11:15 AM

Dave, similar thing happened to my fridge and it was a broken wire in the fridge ligniter (corrosion, AGE) once fridge was halfway out it was simple to fix. Had to replace some more wire's thoe to be on the safe side.

Dave

The problem I have is that the pilot light lights, but as soon as I turn the knob round the pilot light goes out? *-)

pelmetman - 2012-09-27 3:37 PM

nowtelse2do - 2012-09-27 11:15 AM

Dave[/quote

The problem I have is that the pilot light lights, but as soon as I turn the knob round the pilot light goes out? *-)

Arn't you suppose to turn the knob first, then push it in. Wait a few seconds then release it slowly 8-) Sounds like you are turning it off.

Dave

...The problem I have is that the pilot light lights, but as soon as I turn the knob round the pilot light goes out?

It might be helpful if you provided a clue to the make and model of refrigerator. I guess it's an Electrolux if it's the original fridge, but in 1990 there would have been gas-ignition via 12V or piezo.

As you can get the gas flame to light, the gas igniter must be working. That the flame won't stay alight suggests there's a problem with the flame-failure device. If the fridge hasn't been serviced in living memory, just cleaning the tip of the flame-failure device at the gas-burner might cure the fault. Whether the burner-assembly can be accessed to do this would depend on how the fridge is installed in your Travelhome.

(If the refrigerator does need displacing to sort out this problem, it might be sensible to have the fridge fully serviced professionally at the same time - gas-flue swept, burner cleaned, new jet, etc.)

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2012-09-28 8:19 AM

...The problem I have is that the pilot light lights, but as soon as I turn the knob round the pilot light goes out?

It might be helpful if you provided a clue to the make and model of refrigerator. I guess it's an Electrolux if it's the original fridge, but in 1990 there would have been gas-ignition via 12V or piezo.

As you can get the gas flame to light, the gas igniter must be working. That the flame won't stay alight suggests there's a problem with the flame-failure device. If the fridge hasn't been serviced in living memory, just cleaning the tip of the flame-failure device at the gas-burner might cure the fault. Whether the burner-assembly can be accessed to do this would depend on how the fridge is installed in your Travelhome.

(If the refrigerator does need displacing to sort out this problem, it might be sensible to have the fridge fully serviced professionally at the same time - gas-flue swept, burner cleaned, new jet, etc.)

Electrolux..... electronic ignition Derek............I intend to get it fully serviced when we get back, is this something the local caravan service man can do or does it need sending away? :-S

Guest pelmetman
vindiboy - 2012-09-28 1:23 PM

I am of the If it ain't broke ,don't fix it school, I think if all is working well and SAFELY leave it alone till it fails  then get it fixed, it works for me and has done  for many years.

Good idea...... I'll carry on as before :D

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2012-09-28 2:55 PM

pelmetman - 2012-09-28 10:48 AM

...is this something the local caravan service man can do or does it need sending away?

If he can't fix it you'll almost certainly need a new fridge.

I don't think its terminal as it was working fine until we traveled over some surprisingly bumpy roads for France :-S

Guest pelmetman
Brambles - 2012-09-28 8:18 PM

It may be just as simple as some rust flakes and soot/dirt fallen down fron the flue pipe onto the burner asembly and now the flame is not hitting the thermocouple properly when it burns on the high setting (turning the knob up).

RUST 8-).....................................so soon :-S

ok, spiders webs and beasties which have been living in the warmth of the burner, the odd mouse and sparrow nests, and maybe some chewing gum used as sealant, maybe a pair of stockings, odd bra and panties, who knows what you keep at the back for your fridge. But, you are right, unlikely to be any rust so soon.

Brambles - 2012-09-28 10:13 PM

ok, spiders webs and beasties which have been living in the warmth of the burner, the odd mouse and sparrow nests, and maybe some chewing gum used as sealant, maybe a pair of stockings, odd bra and panties, who knows what you keep at the back for your fridge. But, you are right, unlikely to be any rust so soon.

... are you trying to imply that Dave is a transvestite, of a secret knicker nicker!!! :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-09-28 10:14 PM

Brambles - 2012-09-28 10:13 PM

... are you trying to imply that Dave is a transvestite, of a secret knicker nicker!!! :D

It can't be the edible knickers as I gave them to my sister as an engagement present :D

Guest pelmetman
Brambles - 2012-09-28 10:33 PM

...and there was me thinking I was replying to Sue..

After 30 years we are at one with each other :D.......unless I'm wrong....again :-S

Guess who posted this? (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Brambles - 2012-09-28 11:31 PM

pelmetman - 2012-09-28 10:53 PM

.........Guess who posted this? (lol)

Oh Troy, you do make me smile at times with your replies.

Woof ;-)....................If it weren't for me they wouldn't be allowed out in public *-)

Archived