X2/50 Van Sliding Door

Guest Peter James

Guest Peter James

Just found water in the channel beneath the sliding door, above the cill, on my X2/50 van. (Ducato/Boxer/Relay 2006 on)

Further investigation found it drains into the cill, and when I took out a plastic bung underneath the cill about a gallon of water ran out. The cill must have been complettely full of water with the plastic bung keeping it in (!)

Peter James - 2012-09-28 4:41 PM

Just found water in the channel beneath the sliding door, above the cill, on my X2/50 van. (Ducato/Boxer/Relay 2006 on)

Further investigation found it drains into the cill, and when I took out a plastic bung underneath the cill about a gallon of water ran out. The cill must have been complettely full of water with the plastic bung keeping it in (!)

That's interesting! When we were at Lincoln show we noticed on a new unregistered PVC that there was what appeared to be a large water mark on the bottom inside of the sliding door runner and wondered how it had got there ... this might be the answer.

Where is the bung - is it easy to spot?

Guest Peter James
Mel B - 2012-09-28 10:10 PM

Where is the bung - is it easy to spot?

Yes, there are about 6 plastic bungs along the bottom edge of the van. Just take one out, and see if any water runs out. I probably get more water in than most vans because my floor is lino and I swill it out. But you will still get rain water in the bottom channel by other means, it appears to drain from there into the cill with no means to get out, unless there is a drain hole that is clogged. So I suggest taking out at least one plastic bung and leaving it out as it seems to be doing more harm than good.

Otherwise the first you will know of the problem is likely to be a very expensive to replace rotten cill.

I've had a look at ours, not bothered to remove plug, AFAIK water can only drain into sill if it gets past rubber seal, there are three ways I can thinlk of that this can happen in normal use (excluding swilling out interior :-S ).

First is having door open in rain, but I think only limited amounts would get in to that area.

Second is the water that gets in when a 'wet' door is opened and closed, once again small amounts and this can be addressed by adding a rubber seal at very top of door frame, something on my to do list.

Thirdly a 'break' in seal, this IMO is likely to be the worst offender, not uncommon in hatchbacks as I've found in past. Check that there is no forgien object that is breaching seal, small twig or even a yew leaf. Also check any trim on door, thats where I found a problem, the door trim slightly intruded onto seal this allowed a tiny trickle of water to get past seal, luckily our van is parked under cover when not in use else we might also have a sill full of water.

All metal panels have drainage holes at the bottom, and most are deliberately vented so that they can dry out. How does the sliding door itself drain along its bottom edge? Could any water from within the door panel drain into the cill, say if a badly sealed window was letting water enter the door cavity?

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2012-09-30 3:08 PM

All metal panels have drainage holes at the bottom, and most are deliberately vented so that they can dry out. How does the sliding door itself drain along its bottom edge? Could any water from within the door panel drain into the cill, say if a badly sealed window was letting water enter the door cavity?

Good point, yes the sliding door cavity does have drain holes that drain into the bodywork channel beneath, that drain into the cill. I have a plain van, so no window to leak, but lots of other ways water could get in, like condensation in the door cavity? Having no windows I often have the side door open in the rain, have a 'wet floor' - lino over exterior ply that I wash and swill out. So I get more water in there than most people would.

But, when the water drains down into the cill and can't get out again, I guess it wouldn't take much water to rust away the cill.

I found the easiest way to pull the plug out was with water pump pliers with one jaw in the hole in the centre of the plug, the other jaw pinching the side, then wiggle the plug out. May damage the plug, but avoids scraping the paint.

Guest ChrisB

Not the same but I had (I think) a similar problem with water in the cavities behind the rear wheel.

When I filled up the fresh water tank (which is internal and behind the rear nearside wheel) I had a flow of water running down from inside the bodywork and onto the drive. Drain the tank and the flow stopped.

Convinced I had a water leak from the tank I checked it through thoroughly (along with the associated pipework0 but could find no trace of water inside the van.

Filled up again and the water "leak" started again. This time I left it with a full tank of fresh water and investigated for a leak again. Still nothing.

After around 15min the wateer stopped running. The conclusion I came to was that there must have been water in the external body cavity behind the wheel and filling the tank lowered the suspension resulting in a slope of the bodywork towards the rear.

Still dry as a bone inside but still occasionally puddles on the drive from the rear of the vehicle when it rains - not sure if this is run-off from the roof or the cavity (or a combination). One day I will check to see if there is a removable plug (PVC)

Guest Peter James
ChrisB - 2012-10-02 1:51 PM

Not the same but I had (I think) a similar problem with water in the cavities behind the rear wheel.

When I filled up the fresh water tank (which is internal and behind the rear nearside wheel) I had a flow of water running down from inside the bodywork and onto the drive. Drain the tank and the flow stopped.

Convinced I had a water leak from the tank I checked it through thoroughly (along with the associated pipework0 but could find no trace of water inside the van.

Filled up again and the water "leak" started again. This time I left it with a full tank of fresh water and investigated for a leak again. Still nothing.

After around 15min the wateer stopped running. The conclusion I came to was that there must have been water in the external body cavity behind the wheel and filling the tank lowered the suspension resulting in a slope of the bodywork towards the rear.

Still dry as a bone inside but still occasionally puddles on the drive from the rear of the vehicle when it rains - not sure if this is run-off from the roof or the cavity (or a combination). One day I will check to see if there is a removable plug (PVC)

I poured water inside the rear doorway corner post, and it ran out underneath the van. (I was checking for ventilation) Could your water tank filler pipe be leaking into the cavity?

I am thinking there must be drain holes, but as I wash my floor they could have got clogged with muck.

Peter James - 2012-09-30 4:25 PM

Good point, yes the sliding door cavity does have drain holes that drain into the bodywork channel beneath, that drain into the cill.

When I first read this I thought "that can't be right, not even Fiat would be that stupid" and sure enough today I got a round tuit and looked, the door drains quite plainly drain to outside of SLD seal and over the outside of cill. BTW I pulled my plugs out with my fingernails and all that I could find was dust, but then my van is undercover when not being used.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peter James
colin - 2012-10-06 7:10 PM

Peter James - 2012-09-30 4:25 PM

Good point, yes the sliding door cavity does have drain holes that drain into the bodywork channel beneath, that drain into the cill.

When I first read this I thought "that can't be right, not even Fiat would be that stupid" and sure enough today I got a round tuit and looked, the door drains quite plainly drain to outside of SLD seal and over the outside of cill. BTW I pulled my plugs out with my fingernails and all that I could find was dust, but then my van is undercover when not being used.

Sorry I got that wrong.

I have looked closer and can see you are right, the door cavity does drain outside the cill.

Nevertheless, any water that gets into the channel on the inside of the door seal gets into the cill.

In my case, having a 'wet' floor I mop out, that water was enough to completely fill the cill.

Archived