Double axle 8m long motorhome

Grivas

We are looking to purchase the above (2010 model) with 25000 miles on the clock.

1) Any advice on running and driving such a vehicle? Our current motorhome is an Autocruise Stargazer.

2) Any comments regarding a 3L Fiat Ducato having been driven for 25000 miles in two years?

Guest pelmetman
Grivas - 2012-10-03 10:29 AM

2) Any comments regarding a 3L Fiat Ducato having been driven for 25000 miles in two years?

Sounds like a well sorted base vehicle if it's achieved that sort of mileage in 2 year without problems..........

I'd see it as a positive ;-).......

Hi Grivas - welcome to the mad house! :->

Check what year the base vehicle was actually manufactured to ensure that it isn't an 'old' version which hasn't had the modified gearbox etc installed otherwise you could end up with some judder and ensure you have a LONG test drive along various types of roads and doing various manoeuvres.

As for 25k in 2 years, this is exceptionally high for a motorhome - we like to 'use' ours and still 'only' had 16,000 on it at 2 years 4 months. If it is an ex-rental ensure that you check it carefully, if not, then check that it has been well looked after (ie mechanical services) during it's short life.

If it has just had a lot of mileage put on it from a lot of travelling, rather than being lived in for a long period (ie used full-time by the owner), and has been looked after then I wouldn't unduly worry however remember that it will have been 'bumped' along the road for 25k miles, so I'd be more concerned about the state of the habitation side fixtures/fittings, from a use point of view and being jiggled around.

I presume that you are not an ex Spice Girl!!

Thanks for the reply. Today we have been out in it fot a 30min drive along both trunk and side roads. |The 3 litre meant a lot of torque that I found very reassuring. Did not perform any reversing up slopes which I believe is the main exhibitor of the juddering. My only query about the drive was the clutch appeared to engage well up its travel. The fitments appeared to be relative "rattless" compared to our Autocruise Stargazer!!

Interesting that there has only been one owner but that does not mean that it has not been hired out. I will check as I will the service record which was not available when I requested a look!

Many thanks and keep up the singing!!

Archived