SAT NAV

mirage

Hi Mirage

We had a similar problem with our 4 year old TomTom One in the UK - what charge level is it showing when disconnected.

Our Battery would not hold charge & was discharging even when connected.& with ours it lost the pre-settings

You can change the batteries on SOME models.

Search the net with " Battery for (your model)" & you may also find a Youtube video showing how to change the battery.

But, changing the battery will not necessarily reset the pre-settings, that can sometimes be rectified by connecting to the PC & re-installing "factory settings".

We decided that with the TomTom One it wasn't worth it & took the opportunity to upgrade.

Not had a problem with TomTom in France but when I messed it up trying to update it I had to buy a cheap alternative and decided on a Garmin. I do get the impression that it sometimes loses the GPS signal and suddenly recalculates and I wonder if being under trees is the problem? It does pay to update the device from time to time as they improve the GPS software but don't try it on a Samsung Netbook with a questionable internet connection!!!!!

David

Anyone had any experience of the 'fitted Sat Nav' in the Auto-Trail range ? I believe it is an 'Igo 8' (never heard of them ?) are they ok ? or should I take my trusty Tom Tom One with me as well ?

Also can the reversing camera be in use at the same time (as a rear view system) as the sat nav ?

I assume not ?

Sorry for 'side-tracking' the post. Ray

"IGO 8" is software, not the name of the sat-nav.

There's discussion here

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-123806-days0-orderasc-0.html

that suggests taking your "trusty TomTom" with you as a back-up for a while may be wise. The MHF thread refers to the sat-nav unit as "12ELE2000" and there's some information about that reference here:

http://ebookbrowse.com/12ele2000-sd-card-install-guide-pdf-d306899566

• 4 weeks later...
I found when travelling from the South of France North, the TomTom would not update, but would some times. I then figured that the MH body was shielding the signal. I bought an extension antenna from Ebay, this plugs into the socket at the back of the TomTom. This had a magnetic base which I place on the windscreen pillar. This year we had no problems.

Our Tom Tom is much older than yours, it is a GO720 bought around 2005 ish or before. It has never once let us down, we use it in Europe and UK all the time. It has been used as far east, west, north and south of France as you can go and has always picked up and given us our route.

In fact the only time we have seriously lost the signal in France was when we were slow moving in a tunnel on the Paris Periferique just as we needed to turn off at a junction within the tunnel, but it even had predicted that and directed us correctly. Ours is so reliable we have not updated our paper maps since 2005 and have never been lost yet.

I do keep it up to date and because of that I see no reason to buy a new one as there is nothing in the workings of the new ones that is any different to our 720, display and operation looks identical. However I may indulge myself and buy one of the new 6" screen models, but I won't do that until they bring it out in the GO series, though the Tom Tom Start 60 is tempting me at £139.99!

Bas

Battery on our Tom Tom has packed up. Doesn't worry me because we normally use it pluged into the vehicle. If I want to use it at home we have a powered USB adaptor so I simply plug it into that and do whatever I need to do on it.

Makes you wonder though. Most Tom Tom batteries seem to play up after about two years but the batteries in my Braun electric razor are over seven years old and still performing as well as they did when it was new.

Bit of built in obsolescence perhaps!

The battery in your electric razor will be a lot 'beefier' than the one in your sat-nav, so might reasonably be expected to last longer. (I have an elderly 'back-up' Braun razor - the battery is fine but the rest of the razor is falling to bits!)

Replacing a TomTom battery seems relatively inexpensive

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/departments/department002.asp?Brand=TOMTOM&DepartmentName=SatNav+Batteries&DepartmentID=196

and GOOGLE-ing on "tomtom battery replacement" will retrieve DIY instructions. But - if you can live without battery power - why spend money unnecessarily?

My Tom Tom is the GO 720 which I think I bought in about 2006. I replaced the battery because I kept forgetting to switch the 12V power on with consequentially losing the instructions at critical moments. I have just paid for new maps at a bargain price (£34?) but needed an external memory card before I could download them. Memory card has arrived so that is my task for this evening.

Archived