Swift Kontiki 649 / Mizar GTL Living

arjxh56

lennyhb - 2012-10-09 8:27 PM

Some years ago I was in the industry and been around a few factory's enough to put me of British vans for life (yes I have been to the Swift factory).

I have a friend who has had two Swift caravans both had to go back to the factory with damp in the first year, I had a Lunar that disintegrated before my eyes. Just search the forum and look at all the Autotrails with water ingress problems.

Hymer may not be without fault but at least they sort it without any drama (unless you brought it from Brownhills) even when they are out of warranty they repair things FOC.

Loads of continental manufacturers are represented in the UK and there are thousands of vans on the road, I've yet to see a French, German, Italian registered UK built van.

Lenny, your arguments get more strange by the day. Your first sentence about sums you up, 'some years ago'. Swift is the only UK maker large enough to bother with selling to europe and up to last year had not tried. They exibited in europe last year and no results of that, to my knowledge, have yet been produced, probably to early yet to tell. Hymer for example have consistantly failed in the UK, by your own example this make them a poor van, which despite my own experience of them I know they not, although backup is bit dodgy at times as importers constantly change. I do not wish to get involved in a personal abuse exchange here so guess it is time for me to move on but when a question is asked by someone it would be nice for them to be given a balance view rather than the dogmatic out of date statements made by you and Eddie. Why not try and look at the situation as it is now, you may never buy a UK van but personally I could never be so short sighted so dimiss any product for ever more. Incidently your last statement is also wrong. Their are a lot of very large europeon makers represented in the UK but their combined sales do add up to much which is why they struggle to find UK importers.

Well I can only speak from my factual experience of a swift product, I bought a brand new 58 reg Ace Airstream, 3yrs and 1 month's later it leaked, shame really as design wise it was well thought out, but components used and workmanship were not as good as my current van IMO.....

Andy

Guest JudgeMental
andy mccord - 2012-10-10 12:14 PM

Well I can only speak from my factual experience of a swift product, I bought a brand new 58 reg Ace Airstream, 3yrs and 1 month's later it leaked, shame really as design wise it was well thought out, but components used and workmanship were not as good as my current van IMO.....

Andy

indeed Andy, yours and many other contributions on swift "quality" rubbishes the claim that this is a historic problem.......The mind boggles :D

Henry there are far more Hymers on the UK roads than you realise, not many will show up on official figurers as the majority have been personal imports due to the rip of Britain nature of the official importers pricing.

I have looked at new Swift's and still think they are a load of crap. I will admit they have improved a bit with their layouts with some models that are no longer dinning rooms on wheels but that doesn't help the quality.

rupert123 - 2012-10-10 10:51 AM

...Swift is the only UK maker large enough to bother with selling to europe and up to last year had not tried. They exibited in europe last year and no results of that, to my knowledge, have yet been produced, probably to early yet to tell...

In fact, Swift marketed motorhomes in Continental Europe in the more distant past, producing a limited range of LHD Kon-Tiki models. I can't remember how long this went on, but it would have been in the early 2000s. I've no idea how many vehicles were sold, but they received plaudits for their luxuriousness in the French press and there are references to them here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4995&posts=6

Derek Uzzell - 2012-10-10 6:47 PM

rupert123 - 2012-10-10 10:51 AM

...Swift is the only UK maker large enough to bother with selling to europe and up to last year had not tried. They exibited in europe last year and no results of that, to my knowledge, have yet been produced, probably to early yet to tell...

In fact, Swift marketed motorhomes in Continental Europe in the more distant past, producing a limited range of LHD Kon-Tiki models. I can't remember how long this went on, but it would have been in the early 2000s. I've no idea how many vehicles were sold, but they received plaudits for their luxuriousness in the French press and there are references to them here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4995&posts=6

Was not aware of that, just goes to show should not make sweeping statements, perhaps others can learn from that.

Archived