fiat ducato radio

bazooka

I've just aquired a used Fiat Ducato based van,the radio has been replaced by the previous owner with a radio, reversing camera, cd,and dvd player .The problem is it only works with the ignition full on and the key obviously left in.If i turn the key back to any other position the radio goes off.Surely this can't be right.EVERY OTHER VEHICLE i've owned worked either with the key in the first position or just switched on without the key can anyone help.

Baz

Hi Bazooka,

in our Bessacarr to use the radio you need the key in or power on. It will not just work like the car.

Good chance the original radio was removed due to the very poor if any reception from the supplied radio.

This is an ongoing problem between many owners and swift.

cheers

derek

Our present van (Burstner) came with the radio wired so that you nether need the ignition on, nor even the key inserted. When we had the previous on e (Rapido) on the older Fiat chassis, we had it re-wried to work in this way also, so it is possible..

Keith T - 2012-10-09 7:58 PM

Our present van (Burstner) came with the radio wired so that you nether need the ignition on, nor even the key inserted. When we had the previous on e (Rapido) on the older Fiat chassis, we had it re-wried to work in this way also, so it is possible..

It's probably wired to the leisure battery, tends to be common in German vans, they do it the right way.

Modern radios with all the "gubbins" on like "bluetooth", video etc are more like computers and tend to use a fair bit of power even when switched off.

I wired our radio via an illuminated switch so that it could be totally isolated from the power when not in use - the supply is from the leisure battery and although that is kept charged by the solars I don't like wasting any power.

Note: I have seen a good battery flattened in just 3 weeks by a modern radio that was switched off.

Archived