France ---Breathalyzer

elamessa

Guest ChrisB

Steve

Thanks for these links.

Scanning through it looks as though there is speculation that the requirement may in fact be withdrawn - let's hope so as I don't feel it ever made sense.

Tried a number of supermarkets and auto accessory shops this summer, but all had sold out on enquiring at the customer services desk.

The only ones they could offer were the electronic versions at 14-16 euros which I declined.

Brought this up with some French friends we stayed with for a couple of days and they were having the same problem. They had managed to purchase a couple of kits in the early days, but nothing had been available since the middle of August.

I'm going to hold off and see what happens in March.

Chris

We thought we would be good and bought 2 at €1.99 each last month- the shelves were filled and they even had boxes of them on display in the supermarket foyer. Don't know about Stella but certainly a drinkable bottle of wine. Will leave them in the van as they may come in use in a couple of years time the way things are looking!

Bob

It's perhaps worth adding that it's not the implementation date of the French law that's changed, just that the date from which failure to comply with the law may result in a fine has been altered from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.

I'm startled by ChrisB's comment that 'electronic' breathalysers were being offered at 14-16 euros. For French-law compliance such products need to be certificated as conforming to French norms. While there are plenty of cheap electronic breathalysers on the market, only a select few are NF-certificated and the base-price of those that are seems to be around €100.

Guest ChrisB

Derek

I was certain they were around 16€ both in LeClerc and Norauto.

Checked with the Norauto site and the ones on offer in Boulogne were much simpler than those shown (just a simple "bubble pack").

Have found something similar at another store for around the price I quoted.

Perhaps these aren't certified? Would hope so otherwise a waste of money.

Chris

PS

Norauto are offering six of the single use alcohol tests for €4.90 (none on sale when I checked a couple of their stores in September).

970509678_Ethylotestlectronique.jpg.775baefdc6d812bef6ed669faa03f0dc.jpg

There's a list of NF-accredited 'electronic' breathalysers here

http://www.ethylotest-obligatoire.org/actu/liste-ethylotest-electronique-nf/

I believe the list may now be incomplete but, if the products listed are GOOGLEd, the asking prices are from €99 upwards.

This French comparison website illustrates some of what's currently being marketed and the prices

http://www.leguide.com/sb/leguide/recherche/str_MotCle/Ethylotest+electronique/org/3/t/1/5080316.htm

Although two products are in the €8-€20 range, one is not claimed to be NF-accredited, while the other is specifically described as being 'non-NF'. The cheapest electronic breathalyser I can find on-line that is claimed to be NF-accredited is being offered at around €70 (discounted).

There are warnings on French websites about cheap (and not so cheap) 'non-NF' electronic breathalysers being heavily marketed. It's near-certain that any breathalyser currently being advertised at much under €70 will be non-NF.

Just back from 6 weeks in France and having asked in about 20 places like big supermarkets,small shops garages etc and no breathalyzers to be had so we gave up trying to buy one. Told by many not to bother as the French have also given up getting one as supplies are so low this law will not work for a long time yet.

It may well be the case that, with the now-postponed 1 November deadline approaching, French retail outlets had run out of stock. Disposable breathalysers could be obtained for less than 2€ each and I doubt there was much profit margin for the retailer, hence little motivation to try to meet unpredictable demand.

However, there seems to be no shortage as far as on-line reailers are concerned with up to 20 thousand breathalysers in stock here

http://www.mon-ethylotest-obligatoire.fr/

The snag, of course, is that, if one wished to obtain just two breathalysers from that website, by the time delivery charges have been factored in the cost per unit would have increased to 5.40€ and French motorists would be muttering about 'rip-off France'.

In earlier postings on this thread French-law-compliant 'electronic' breathalysers were mentioned. While it's not likely UK motorcaravanners would choose such devices to comply with the French regulations, there's a more up-to-date list here

http://www.lne.fr/fr/actualites/pdf/liste-ethylotests-certifies-nf.pdf

Ive been out here since June with a few months out of France but been back in France now since the end of August and Ive never seen one of these breathlyser thingies. I have no intention of buying one anyway.

The French do however sell Leffe Blonde at the best prices in Europe and its available everywhere!!!

Sorry

When over in July I picked up breathalysers no problem but I will need to check expiry date. Similarly I have 80,100 an 110 speed stickers on, as these were to be compulsory over 3850Kg(??), but of the 100s of MHs I have passed I could count on one hand the number I have seen fitted.

I work on the logic that if the French police want to take you to task then they will pick up on these items. For the costs involved it appears silly not to have, but if unavailable then it can hardly be enforced.

Archived