DAB Radio

johnnerontheroad

johnnerontheroad - 2012-10-09 4:58 PM

Has anyone got a DAB radio in their van in place of a normal car radio and are they any good?

Thanks

Dave

haven'tgot one, though did think about it at one time.

However, theres a very interesting - and i think helpful - item on this in OCtober MMM,which may partly answer your question.

I do have one at home only using the supplied 'string' aerial, and when its good, it is VERY good, but if the aerial isnt in exactly the right place then it's awful - so I do wonder how the moving effect with the MH would affect the signal.

Additionally, I think there is a question of the use abroad, and indeed our Van Rario hase FM, LW and MW, and if we are if France, then can we still receive R4 LW until we are about halfway down,,,,,,so if you want cricket or the Archers, then you are in luck!

We have a DAB radio ,not in place of van radio but a portable ,it was no good whats so ever in France ,great on a site in uk with or without electric.But we have led lights in rear lounge and radio does not like it when we switch them on,have to move it to overcab away from leds.

Hello,

I have a Kenwood DAB CD player in my van and another in my car. Both work brilliantly with the supplied antenna that is stuck to the inside of the windscreen. I had an earlier Kenwood DAB many years ago and the reception was patchy at best but these newer units are excellent. I also use the Kenwood/Parrot bluetooth box but can't say I am very pleased with that. Lots of faults and very quirky in operation. I would buy a separate Parrot device next time. There are some cheap DAB radios about but I would stick with the major brands; My Kenwood cost about £180 and is perfect., I have seen them on sale at Halfords for £150 since.

Don't consider buying the Pure 'Highway'. I had one put in my Alfa and it was absolutely useless and I had it removed. If the expert car audio dealer can't get that one to work properly I seriously doubt that anyone else could.

Nick

I have a JVC DAB/FM/AM/MP3/CD head unit but it lives in my workshop now. I originally bought it for the motorhome and when it worked it was great but the problem I had with it when travelling was that it would drop in and out of DAB reception as the signal varied (as it obviously will moving around the country). When it dropped out of DAB it would revert to the same station (if available) on FM which lead to a missed couple of seconds listening, then when the DAB signal was strong enough it would switch back and give a two second delay/repeat. This became too frustrating to use DAB while travelling but the only way to stop it picking up DAB when available was to pull the DAB antenna out of the back of the unit. I haven't tried DAB on the move for about four years now so it might be better but I found it just way too frustrating while travelling.

D.

Archived