mercadona car park, playa flamenca, spain.

seagull

goldi - 2012-10-12 9:39 PM

Evening all,

Thanks Mike g all these bits of info help,

also I am getting a picture that around , beziers ,narrbonne ,perpignan ,down towards and through barca ,that this is dodgy area

norm

There have been reports of vans being targetted on the motorway in that area but whilst I don't want to trivialise the reports, they have been few and far between. We tend to hear of a few bad cases but not of the 100s or even 1000s of vans passing through without problems. Personally, have not had any problems in that area but there again I would always suss out an aire before overnighting and would never be flagged down by an unmarked car waving at me in a foreign country.

In Barcelona itself, we did see a bag snatching but once again this was a lady sat at an outside cafe and had put her handbag on the floor next to her-this could and probably would happen in any big city these days.

Not wanting to open up another can of worms but (There's always a but isn't there!) with all these reports of 'Gassing Attacks' going on in that area- in 40 years of motorhoming/caravanning I have never met anyone who was actually gassed either. Lots of stories about 'someone who knew/met/spoke to' people who were, but never the actual victim!

Take common sense precautions and enjoy yourself. If you worry about robbers, murderers and rapists everytime you park up it won't be much of a holiday! Just think of the precautions you would take in the UK and add a bit more on-you'll be fine

Mike

These gassing attacks do exist I have known personally 2people who it has happened to…

One a truck driver who knew it was happening by the hissing soundof gas being pumped into his cab whilst he was trying to sleep in his cab, hejumped out and beat his attacker black and blue closely followed by more parkedup truckers who gave the gas attacker anther good going over

And one motor homer who was attacked in Northern Italy withgas whilst he was asleep and was robbed whilst he was sleeping, he now has a safefor his personal items and a dog to help warn him in advance!

sambukashot - 2012-10-13 2:38 PM

These gassing attacks do exist I have known personally 2people who it has happened to…

One a truck driver who knew it was happening by the hissing soundof gas being pumped into his cab whilst he was trying to sleep in his cab, hejumped out and beat his attacker black and blue closely followed by more parkedup truckers who gave the gas attacker anther good going over

And one motor homer who was attacked in Northern Italy withgas whilst he was asleep and was robbed whilst he was sleeping, he now has a safefor his personal items and a dog to help warn him in advance!

I'm not saying they don't exist-what I said was I hade never met anyone first hand. Once again as you have put in your post YOU know/met/spoke to someone it has happened to but I haven't! Your post reiterates what I have already put.

The fact your friend has got a safe is once again common sense in my opinion as I put in my post earlier. I have had a safe in our vans for years-just like we do in the house at home.

Why exactly were the Police moving 'campervans along'? Are they camping there or what? Just parking to go shopping seems an extreme reaction. Having just spent the summer south of Cartagena we never saw any activity of this nature, although it was usually the Lidl carpark that motorhome owners used, as it was a big clear space. We also did note that the Guardia Civil were checking papers of the Romanians that often hung around the entrances begging, and moving them along. In fact in September there were none to be seen anywhere in the area. It is possible that the Spanish have lost patience with them, especially when they are in recession.

I have a brother who lives in Playa Flamenca and will be seeing him next month so will get grass root info as an ex tugger he takes an interest. although he did comment that they were not getting on to the beach area

Flew out of Alicante today and noticed about 6 MHs parked up on the beach under the flight path and they had been there a week previous, although possible not the same MHs.

I have spent a week in Benidorm, which may not be everybody's cup of tea, but they appear to be trying to up the image with some minor consequences. In the old town and at the other end there are two areas which had park benches which you could sit on and watch the day go by. Unfortunately these were used at night by the down an outs so have been removed. I have two views in that it is much better but, where have these poor lost souls gone.

Having said that as Rabby Burns said, having looked at the Brits, and this is not a quote, "if we could only see ourselves as others see us" is so true. Our appearance and behaviour is deplorable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys . Update on the Playa Flamenca car park . The police are taking the reg. numbers of all campers and after 24 hours moving them on .The robberies from cars and folk in the car park continue but police patrols have been stepped up.

I can see this on a daily bases as I pass by or use the car park ,it does not feel like a safe place now that evenings are getting darker .

This from a worn out camper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived