Safes in Motorhomes

PJay

I am not asking for any one to give away there secret hiding places, but were do you fit safes in a MH?

How do you find a place to put a safe? we have a CB, with over cab bed. We don't have a double floor, so not sure how we could hide one. Any ideas please? sensible ones you jokers!!

PJay

Guest JudgeMental

Mine is just bolted through floor and chassis (standing upright) takes all documents/laptop/IPad/camera/ video etc....poor quality pic from phone, but it is on the left under bed. bit easier with a panel van I think.....

It allows us tp sleep in van with doors open.....mind you I did wake up one with my knickers on back to front *-)

safe.jpg.4a014f17709ed371c56fa0a4bb1d141c.jpg

I think the trouble with a safe fitted is that is apparent to any thief where all your valuables are stored and bearing in mind they will not care how much damage they do getting the safe out that you are better storing your valuables in various different hiding places around your van. IE don't put all your eggs in one basket. Remember if they want to get your safe out they will get it out whatever you bolt it to.

Thanks for all replies GUys

Judge, don't have space for one like yours, I'd trip over it!

have to agree with all answers, just have to carry on as before. We don't carry much in the way of valuables,, i don't usually take Jewellary away. (Leave that for the house thieves!!)

i was curious as some posters say, they have a safe, and wondered where they put it. i was thinking it would be a little one, not the monster The Judge appears to have

Blimey Judge, thats a big safe, mind you, you would need one that size to keep a laptop in.

I agree that nothing is 'Secure' with a thief IF they have enough time and don't care about the noise they make, But most are oppurtunists who would want to be 'in and away' in seconds,minutes at the most. So i think a 'well attached' safe is a wise addition , well attached means 'blind bolted' through steel, not just into Coachbuilt furniture, which would splinter with a kick or levered with a crowbar. Ray

ps I have a small safe, big enough for Passports/wallet/credit cards etc., but not much else.

My guess would be that would be thieves have been to Motorhome shows etc and done their homework and know very well where all your " secret " hidey holes are  already.A safe is a sensible precaution as I think most thieves want to be in and out as quickly as possible.

PJay - 2012-10-13 5:56 PM

Thanks for all replies GUys

i was curious as some posters say, they have a safe, and wondered where they put it. i was thinking it would be a little one, not the monster The Judge appears to have

Some already have safes built -in.

vindiboy - 2012-10-13 7:28 PM

My guess would be that would be thieves have been to Motorhome shows etc and done their homework and know very well where all your " secret " hidey holes are  already.A safe is a sensible precaution as I think most thieves want to be in and out as quickly as possible.

I think you are giving them toooooooo much credit! No way would they stump up the cost of getting into shows!!! :D

There are hidey-holes ... and then there are 'proper' hidey holes ..... just think of less 'obvious' ones ;-)

Guest pelmetman

When you've had a camper for a long time..............then you'll discover those little crevices that even the most imaginative thief wont find ;-) ........................

I do tend to walk funny on holiday :$

Autosleeper Warwicks have a safe consisting of a steel box welded to the chassis below the floor. Entrance consisting of a lockable steel lid is within seat locker and a wood hatch covers the steel lid. We have found it invaluable being large enough for passports, van documents etc etc.

Guest JudgeMental
Rayjsj - 2012-10-13 6:02 PM

Blimey Judge, thats a big safe, mind you, you would need one that size to keep a laptop in.

I agree that nothing is 'Secure' with a thief IF they have enough time and don't care about the noise they make, But most are oppurtunists who would want to be 'in and away' in seconds,minutes at the most. So i think a 'well attached' safe is a wise addition , well attached means 'blind bolted' through steel, not just into Coachbuilt furniture, which would splinter with a kick or levered with a crowbar. Ray

ps I have a small safe, big enough for Passports/wallet/credit cards etc., but not much else.

Its a hotel type safe, anything smaller wont hold 12 inch laptop, IPad etc...so what's the point.

most toe rags are opportunists, in and out merchants.....and dont like getting caught by the police "going equipped". Maybe carry a screwdriver and certainly not a sledge hammer. So we feel the safe gives us some protection from most of them. :-(

JudgeMental - 2012-10-14 10:02 AM

most toe rags are opportunists, in and out merchants.....and dont like getting caught by the police "going equipped". Maybe carry a screwdriver and certainly not a sledge hammer. So we feel the safe gives us some protection from most of them. :-(

I think that sums up my view. If someone is really determined to rob you of everything regardless they will probably succeed. But in the main these people are opportunists and it is more likely they will go for what they can see and gather up in a few seconds and be away. For 20 odd years I felt it was safer to carry everything, in the way of documentation and money with me on my person. That was until I was hassled on the Rome Metro and had my wallet stolen. At the time it was real nightmare but we got over it. We now have a small safe bolted through the floor (blind bolts) in which we store some of our possesions and carry a lot less with us. It does not give us anywhere near 100% protection but it lessens the odds a bit.

David

Guest JudgeMental

One story that has stuck in my mind that I read on here way back, was when someone saw a robbery. One thief helped the other onto the roof, he pulled up the Heki and dropped through, alarm blaring ..who takes any notice of alarms these days? just a cursory look at best......A few minutes later thief exits van with pillow case full of stuff *-)

you can enter a camper with your bare hands by just forcing a window/Heki...but you need time and tools to attack a safe.

while on the subject of security: pointless having a Cat 1 alarm where you can disable sensors to sleep, if you don't fit window alarms...its the most popular type of theft? they simply reach in window with a stick and gather valuables from the front while you sleep

JudgeMental - 2012-10-15 9:21 AM

while on the subject of security: pointless having a Cat 1 alarm where you can disable sensors to sleep, if you don't fit window alarms...its the most popular type of theft? they simply reach in window with a stick and gather valuables from the front while you sleep

We might disable the Cat1 alarm but the Dog1 alarm is always activated,She loves strangers to come near the van, and it would make her day if someone stuck something in thro the window

HWO

Perhaps we should get a dog,?

The last dog we had (A rescue Collie/ Alsation Cross) would not let any one in the house. We once had a guy come round selling burglar alarms, when he heard the dog , the first thing he said was, " I don't think you need one"

Archived