Vantage Sol verses IH Rio R

hymernova1

Hi all, I intend to change my PVC soon for a new model. I've narrowed the search down to the above, can any existing owners give me some help please. I'm drawn to these two as they both seem good quality and have a "boot". I intend to use the van for long continental stays in winter plus extended tours in the UK in summer. Also, I've no experiance with compressor fridges, as supplied in the Vantage, are these more efficient in hot climates?

Rgds J

Hi J

Well, have just collected our 5th IH - all of them have been rear lounge versions over the last 15 year or so - the first was the Savannah Irmao Gold and our last van was a Tio RL.

The only reason we changed this year was because the new 20th Anniversary models have much better (deeper) overhead lockers and now have the twin/double bed arrangement in the 6m Tio R.

You mention that both have a boot but our choice of IH was influenced by the unique single rear panel which not only gives a much bigger boot space but also eliminates draughts, road dust and noise and another possible security issue through rear doors. The larger rear window is a plus point too. The beds are very comfortable, easy to make and have further large storage areas beneath.

We used our Tio RL for three months in Spain last year and are intending to return in the new Tio R this year for a little longer. We will not be booking any sites but roaming along the south coast until we find a site we really want to stay at for a few weeks.

Good luck with the decision,

David

Guest JudgeMental

what draughts? German vans have additional seals

looked at all thes vans last year at EXCEL show and the Vantage struck us as decent value

Have had our Vantage Sol for just a couple of years now so can offer some feedback. The fridge manufactured by Vitrifrigo (Italy I believe) has been excellent. There's a slight noise from it when operating but being sighted down the front of the van it causes no disruption to sleeping in the rear lounge. I've done a couple of hot spells in France and never found I needed to adjust the fridge setting to maintain its cooling. Continued to produce ice cubes no problem. I did have to defrost the fridge on a seven week stay in France as the freezer compartment started to ice up around the door. Have the 80w solar panel fitted which in good weather copes with the fridge's energy demands.

Going to seek some winter sun from end of December through to early March and have no concerns about the suitability of the Vantage Sol for such extended breaks.

Scot has done some nice modifications to his latest version of the Sol. The fixed rear full width seat I feel provides a much improved access to storage at the rear. The option to have an underslung gas tank or use the space provided for two smaller gas cylinders allows the removal of the stepped floor. His entertainment pack looks useful, just a pity that it's not a DAB radio at this stage as car manufacturers I gather will start to fit these in 2013.

We tend to cook (warm up) food in our van quite a lot which means we tend to wash up there as well. Did find the sink, draining board and rack a little tedious as the draining board doesn't drain into the sink and has to be emptied. Sorted this with a combined rack and drainer called a 'Dish Garden' from Lakeland - an inspired and totally different design that really works.

Graham

JudgeMental - 2012-10-14 9:27 AM

here you go Mel something else for your van :D

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23411/Dish-Garden

Interesting, but I can't see that it would accommodate my washing up - don't know where I'd put the pans etc and a £29.99 it's very overpriced! I think I'll stick to my vintage 1960s drainer and Nescafe tray (remember when you could collect tokens for them?).

1773645941_dishdrainer.jpg.ea57891aabae4dd59e2e5d445b1ee102.jpg

JudgeMental - 2012-10-13 7:51 PM

what draughts? German vans have additional seals

looked at all thes vans last year at EXCEL show and the Vantage struck us as decent value

We had a bit of a draught in the rear of our Autocruise Accent, but found that the base plates which the bottom of the doors go onto were the wrong way round, since we've put them the right way, we don't get a draught.

We have seen the Vantage Sol 'in the flesh' and it was a very nice vehicle, but not for us. What did surprise us though was that the van didn't include the cab seat swivels as standard (they're an extra at £50 each!) which are a necessity for the layout - unless you get them you actually don't HAVE a front dinette!

Other things, which we have as standard on our van, are:

Remis cab blinds add another £600

Aerial £100

Electric Step £350

Cab Air Conditioning £1000

Reversing Sensors £300

Cruise Control £200

Fiat Wheel Trims £50

These all add up to another £2,600 so the cost of £42,950 then crept up to £45,550 which is a lot of money and more than we were willing to pay.

Yes Mel,

It is a rather costly impost considering Fiat Professional released the base Ducato with the Comfort Pack as standard equipment, according to a press release back the 22nd May 2012.
The pack includes;
Manual Air Con
Front Fog Lights
Blue&Me with Steering Wheel controls
TomTom dash housing
B&M TomTom Live SatNav+Cradle
Stop/Start
Wheel Trims
Reversing Sensor
Eco Drive Pro software

Why should they be charging for options that Fiat now supply as standard kit.
IH and Vantage are on my shortlist as well but I think the Shire Phoenix 3 is a better option.
Built by guys who worked for both IH and Vantage to a similar level of quality to the former without the high price.
I'll be in Birmingham next Wednesday 17th so I can judge them all in one place.

As for the Euro makes being cheeper I don't agree.
There are only two make that I can find with the rear lounge/bed layouts that suit me. One from La Strada and one from Karmann. When I use the onsite konfigorator to build my spec it ends up over 60,000 euros for exactly the same options. According to my currency converter that's as close as damit to 50 grand GBP.

Guest JudgeMental

Sorry but La Strada in a different league.

Karmann 650 is a new model, its a 636 M model. Good spec and all i would have to add is an awning, SOG

and second battery. I make it under 45K before discount..... also no cheap unhygienic carpet on walls or silly capacity tanks and gas.

I doubt you will see either at NEC as to classy :-D

Globecar Globescout 636 M, twin single beds "all in packet" £35K

I'm going to Stuttgart show in January to look at some new vans...

Paul M Who - 2012-10-14 7:30 PM

IH and Vantage are on my shortlist as well but I think the Shire Phoenix 3 is a better option.

Built by guys who worked for both IH and Vantage to a similar level of quality to the former without the high price

They have been playing that card since day one, it was one of the first things they tried to impress on us.

Whether they are structualy of a similier quality I never got around to checking out, but when you step from one make to other you will soon see they are a mile apart in percieved quality, mind you whether you would want to pay for the upmarket 'feel' of a IH is a whole different matter. Still you'll see next week.

Paul M Who - 2012-10-14 7:30 PMYes Mel,

It is a rather costly impost considering Fiat Professional released the base Ducato with the Comfort Pack as standard equipment, according to a press release back the 22nd May 2012.
The pack includes;
Manual Air Con
Front Fog Lights
Blue&Me with Steering Wheel controls
TomTom dash housing
B&M TomTom Live SatNav+Cradle
Stop/Start
Wheel Trims
Reversing Sensor
Eco Drive Pro software

Why should they be charging for options that Fiat now supply as standard kit.
I note you had quoted this before, Paul, but I think you are labouring under a misapprehension.AFAIK, the options you quote have been included in a "pack" applied to the base model in two specific configurations, the resulting vehicle being sold as a new trim version (Tecnico). So, whilst they are "standard" in this new version, they still attract a price premium over the similar base Ducato of some £2215. The items remain cost options if specified on the base version. I can't be bothered to trawl the price list to check, but no doubt the Tecnico version offers a saving over ordering all of the options individually on the base version - whether converters choose to order such an augmented base vehicle, and/or pass on any "bundle" savings is up to them, but it certainly is not cost free.(It would appear that there are/have been certain temporary promotional prices for the Tecnico version, but the above price difference is taken from the current list pricing).

We have the Vantage Neo 2011model. This is our first van after 20+years of tugging. It took 12 months of research before purchase. Re the compressor fridge if you are camping "off grid", you will need two leisure batteries of 90 to 100AHand an 80watt solar panel. We have camped all this summer ;-)without problems for over a week at a time without moving the van or starting the engine. The Vitrifrigo is much better than the Dometic in our last caravan, especially making ice cubes in hot weather and the gas savings can be significant. It is very quiet in operation and does not disturb our sleep. Another advantage is on long ferry crossings where the leisure batteries will comfortably run the fridge for 24 hours.

If you are a TV addict and run a TV and Digibox you may need a second solar panel in our cloudy climate but only go for this after running for a month or so.

One of the reasons for buying a van was to tour Spain in the winter without lugging a caravan around but having the comfort and space of a 2 berth caravan, old caravanning habits are hard to shake off!!!

The advice from Judgemental re. checking the financials before ordering is appropriate.

Archived