Polish

Pete-B

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but being a relatively newbie to the forums here goes.

I've got a newish E460 Bessie and would like to give her a polish before winter sets in, what's the best one to use?

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

I use Greased Lightning 'Showroom Shine' (the stuff advertised on Ideal World on the telly) but only buy when it's on special offer, don't pay any more than £10 a bottle. It's a carnuba wax, spray on mix, cleans off dirt and is very easy to 'Buff' off to a good shine. I was very sceptical, always using turtle wax or other expensive brands, which were hard to apply and even harder to shine, I now use nothing else. A good all over coating lasts about 4 months before it needs, a 'refresher' not cheap,but easy and quick to use. Ray

It's really not necessary to learn Polish, Pete, as everyone we met in Poland on our 2009 visit wanted to practise their English on us. Of course, the odd "please" and "thank you" in the local language always helps ....

... Oh! Hang on - I really must read the posts, not just the titles!!! :D

You been at the communion wine again Tony?.

I don't think there's really a lot of difference between most of the well known brands. I am using mer at the moment as it was on a bogoff at halfords.

I did a test on the back panel and bonnet of the van several years ago and there was little to choose after a few months between the Simoniz, Car Plan, Mer and Auto Glym car polishes that I already had in the garage.

However far and away the best results were with 3M Marine Fibreglass restorer and wax which lasted way beyond all the others.

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-2567-boat-wax-3m-marine-fibreglass-restorer-and-wax-500ml-bottle-09005e.aspx

However that was about 4 years ago and all or any formulae may have changed - although if it's anything like paint, creosote or anything else that used to be effective and no longer is as good - the changes in the name of progress are unlikely to be for the better?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, much appreciated. One thought just struck me though, I watched a video on Ideal World web site and it showed them cleaning off set tar, glue and paintspray with Greased Lightning Showroom Shine. If this is true and I'm sure it is, would this effect the seals where the roof and other panels meet?

If you have a shop by the name of Boyes in your area have a look. We got twin packs for £20.00. I know they have a shop in Kendal, one in Chester-le-Street and Lincoln. Don't know about other places but have a look on the tinternet, Boyes is the cheapest I have seen. It is supposed to be a liquid which saves washing the vehicle and puts a polish on at the same time. For best results wash the vehicle first then use it. Great stuff.

Art

Archived