replacing the 240v hook up socket

josie gibblebucket

Hi everyone, the cover of our 240v hook up socket has just snapped off, I think the plastic had just gone brittle with age probably, but is replacing the whole thing something we can do ourselves (we are not very good diy'ers and have no knowledge of electrics) 8-) or is it something we need to get a caravan/motorhome place to replace for us?

It is simples to do Nicola as long as you can get to the back of it inside the van and the cable is easy to access with a bit of slack.

If you compare the new socket with the old the L N & E terminals should be marked but if not use a felt tip pen to make it beyond doubt which is which and which colour is which (brown = live, blue = neutral, yellow/green = earth) and then it is a straightforward task of changing it over like for like.

If you are careful when you prise the old one out (having first removed the screws) the original outer sealer can generally be reused if it has not gone hard.

Electricity is very unforgiving so any doubts - don't do it!

I agree with tracker, it is an easy replacement job, provided you feel confident ?? if you don't, pay an electrican to do the job for you. The Unit itself is cheap enough to buy :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230V-Mains-Flush-Inlet-Socket-16A-White-Caravan-Motorhome-Horse-Box-/251145365874?pt=UK_Cables_Hookups&hash=item3a796e2972

And its a straightfoward 'Like for like' fitting. Ray

Nicola,

If you do decide to diy then a good tip is to always take a photo of the wiring, object, whatever, before you do any dismantling, that way you always have a record of how it started out!

Even a photo with a camera phone is fine as long as you can make out the detail.

Keith.

Guest pelmetman
Has the flap actually broke or has the plastic pin just sheared off?................that's what happened to mine 10 years ago...............I replaced the pin with a match stick :D..................still going strong ;-)

Archived