Reasons to Buy a motorhome?/Reasons to not buy a motorhome

Mickydripin

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2012-10-18 8:28 PM

pelmetman - 2012-10-15 3:11 PM

If you think owning a motorhome is bad :D..................You want to try a boat ;-)................The description that likens it to standing in a cold shower tearing up £50 notes couldn't be more apt *-)

That's simply not true Dave. mine's 22 Yrs old and still worth not too far off what I paid for it. You can't say that about motorhomes.

True enough, but if you add up the annual cost of maintenance and moorings, and then divide that by the number of days you actually get to use it, I'd reckon the figure would be as high or if not higher than running a camper :D

Maintenance I do myself, so very cheap. Moorings about £1000 + insurance £250. So probably about £2k a year. We're on it most weekends in the spring and summer and now we're retired can go away on it for as long as we like, with no mooring fees at all, as we moor on the riverside which is free.

So not as expensive as you would think.

Now......if you are thinking about the south coast......that's an entirly different proposition.

We moor on the east coast, which is a lot cheaper.

peter - 2012-10-18 8:48 PM..............Now......if you are thinking about the south coast......that's an entirly different proposition.

We moor on the east coast, which is a lot cheaper.

Well, it would be, wouldn't it? :-)

Reason to buy? Because you want one. Reason not to buy? Because you don't want one.

They are an entirely optional purchase that no-one truly needs, but many would like, so there are lots around. But that, I think, is the problem. If they were truly necessary, it is at least arguable that the industry would be regulated in how it behaves.

As things are, and as Mike has found to his cost, legal redress against the recalcitrant members of this industry is time consuming, highly risky, and potentially bankrupting, for most of us.

But, knowing what we all now know, would we buy another? There's the rub. It is motorhomes, not religion, are the opium of the masses, and we're all hooked! :-D

Have to go in the van every day to get my fix Brian.

Pull the blinds down, shut my eyes, and think of Donna. No......not really, but you know what I mean, you could be anywhere. :D

peter - 2012-10-18 10:05 PM

Have to go in the van every day to get my fix Brian.

Pull the blinds down, shut my eyes, and think of Donna. No......not really, but you know what I mean, you could be anywhere. :D

Hi Peter, and brian also;

It is definately addictive, or maybe it just provides that bit of excitement that we all ( or most of us ) crave.

Whichever way you do it, it can be costly. It's certainly not a cheap purchase; but it offers a lot of potential for enjoyment.

If all goes well it can be amazing VFM, if not it's a potential money-pit.

I sympathise if it's the latter.

The sad thing is that if we don't tell it like it is, then others will make the same mistakes that we make. If we tell it like it is then maybe our resale values dip. A bit like house prices really.

I think many motorhomes/campervans are overpriced, and I think manufacturers have been milking the market for years. The trouble is that lots of us, at a certain time in our lives see them as a way to maximize our retirement; IMHO,

regards

alan b

Archived