CROATIA Feedback and thanks

snowie

Firstly a big thank you to all who made suggestions before and during our trip to Croatia; you were all right, and the advice was listened to if not acted on; and we accept responsibility for that decision!!

As feedback I thought I'd list the places we stayed at, with very brief comments. I hope the formatting works; drag to extend text box

1. Coldred (C.S.Dover) Lovely location, lanes a bit narrow, but would stay again.

2. Vaals (ACSI) Nice site, good fac's, area would be worth some exploration, town looked interesting.

3. Knauss (ACSI)

Frickenhausen Good transit site, basic one night pitches, small pitches elsewhere, good fac's good rest'

4. Scharnstein(ACSI) Nice site, new fac's, a pity to drive through the area, go back?

5. Ptuj Therme(ACSI) Slovenia; pitches ok, fac's poor wouldn't use again

6. Camp Slapic (ACSI) Duga Resa Croatia, nice site, new fac's, decent restaurant on site, nice helpful staff

7. Zaton Holiday Village(ACSI) Huge choice of pitches, fac's exc, ok swims, Huge site, not what we were looking for

8. Oaza Mira (ACSI) Drage, (5 nights) smashing site, exc' fac's, nice shingle beach, good swims, local rest v-good

This is my sort of site and beach and the general character of the area was appealing. I'd look for

more sites in this coastal area

9 Trogir Rozac Autocamp (ACSI) Anarchic pitches!, not for me, fac's ok, dogs on beach, beach o-s site better. I will always associate this site with "Hurt Locker"

10 Split Stobrec (ACSI) Large site, good fac's, dogs on beach, water ankle deep for too far

11. Omis Sirena Autocamp A mistake, too many steps, up to fac's down to beach, not accessible for swim, good fac's but pitches small

12. Pag, Camp Vill Simuni (ACSI) Huge site, but windsurfing competition made it interesting, tired fac's, Pag......amazing!

13 Pula Camp Vill Stoja(ACSI) Ok pitches, good fac's, cold so no swim, rocky beach, nice town

14. Rovinj Porton Biondi Terraced site, small pitches, v-good fac's, decent rest' on site lovely town

15. Lake Bled Camping On the way home! Ok pitches,muddy, exc' facs', beautiful location, go back to area.

16. Leipheim Nice site on farm by lake, v-good fac's, Stutgart nearby, may go back.

17. St Avold, Camping Le Felsberg In grounds of hotel complex, expensive elec.

18. Cambrai 3 Clochers Nice municipal site, good pitches, good fac's, go back to town and area

19 Ardre, Camping St Louis Highest cost site €23; taking Mickey. Nice bar in local village

20 HOME!!! Good to be back, but c o o o o o l d!!!!!

Conclusion; Separate campsite locations from beaches/swimming locations, they rarely coincide. Mobility is a key.

Great country, nice people, beautiful weather. Go back to the islands.

• 2 weeks later...

We too have just returned from Croatia and thought Snowies feedback was good and would like to add our experiences.

We went down through Germany along the Romantische Strasse, stopping at :-

1. Stadt Camping Koln, right on the river with very easy cycle access to Cologne centre.

2. Stellplatze at Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Nordlingen - our first experience of Stellplatze - brilliant - really close to the towns, 12euro for Rothenburg free at Nordlingen.

3. Camping Bannwaldsee in Schwangau - again fantastic bike paths to Fussen, around the lakes, Neuschwanstein castle - rather expensive

4. Camping Slapic - echo Snowie, but ask at reception for Karlovacko County cycle booklet, signed longish rides around the area. WiFi - pay for time

5. Camping Korana - Plitvice lakes - big site OK

6. Camping Stobrec Split - big site but easy to get bus into Split to visit old town - reasonable sea swimming - Wifi - pay

7. Camping Nevio - Orebic - terraced site with great views over to Korcula - pedestrian ferry to Korcula once a day good bar and restaurant - easy cycle along peninsula to small bays etc.large pitches - pay wifi

8. Camping Sbrenic - Korcula - small site with limited MH pitches - 6 I think , but fabulous bay for swimming and quiet roads for cycling. Close to Korcula town.

9. TrogirCamp Rozac - looks like a traveller camp on arrival, and as Snowie says anarchic, but toilets spotless and continually cleaned - brilliant sunsets and a decent swimming bay, but also easy walk to Trogir town.

10. Rab - Camp Padova III - unfortunately only camp open at that time - huge but only quarter full - easy walk or cycle to Rab town

11. Krk - Camp Jezevac - huge site but OK at nearly end season. We would not like in peak season, but very handy for Krk town and close to fish market for beautiful fresh fish. Free wifi

12. Camp Skrila - Stara Baska Krk. - on approaching this site it looks basic but the facilties are clean and a small supermarket on site. This is right at the end of the road in Krk, but the scenery is astonishing - moonscape mountains, beautiful bay, fabulous sunsets and a short bike ride ro Stara Baska, where there is a very good restaurant, actually also the only restaurant or bar open at end Sept.

13. Camping Nijvice - new facilities, huge pitches close to town, and beautiful bay for swimming - this was our last night before leaving Croatia, and we would easily have stayed there longer.

14. Coming back we travelled through Italy to Austria and stayed in Salzburg, then to Bodensee on a Stellplatz at Camperstop Dorfkrug Tunau -

15. Stellplatz Feiten - vineyard on the river - really nice

Croatia exceeded our expectations - lovely people, great scenery, we ran out of time and would have stayed longer , 6 weeks not enough and will go back. Islands are great especially Korcula and Krk, but we want to go to Pag, Cres, Losinj next time, and spend time in the countryside around Zagreb

Intransit - 2012-10-29 2:44 PM

We too have just returned from Croatia and thought Snowies feedback was good and would like to add our experiences.

Croatia exceeded our expectations - lovely people, great scenery, we ran out of time and would have stayed longer , 6 weeks not enough and will go back. Islands are great especially Korcula and Krk, but we want to go to Pag, Cres, Losinj next time, and spend time in the countryside around Zagreb

Hi,

we were away from 9th Sept to about 11th October, which I think was a little late really, but weather in Croatia was superb, Germany and Austria very wet in both directions.

If we get back there in next year or two we'll certainly have a look at your routes,

regards

alan b

Archived