Keeping Bumpers Black

Rusty

Hi,

Can anybody tell me the best way,or the best stuff to use, to keep the Bumpers on a Van Black.

I have bought different produces, but they only last a short time before they start looking gray, and not cheap.

I am interested to know what other Fellow Motohomers use.

Many Thanks.

If they are really faded then the rubber care type just don't work as the are clear(ish) and just exaggerate the gray fading.(so you now have shiny grayish faded bumpers)

Try Simoniz, Carplan (or any other brand) Black Trim Wax. It also dyes your fingers black for at least a week so either wear gloves or make sure you don't turn up for work in Healthcare or Catering on the following Monday!

If you've no chance of restoring them this way, then its bumpers off, wet 'n' dry back, plasticote plastic primer and then paint with a nice satin black plastic bumper paint. Will look like new.

My front bumper was very grey with some almost white streaks and I tried all sorts of cheap methods (Not vegetable oil I must admit) all to no avail the white streaks were always lighter in colour than the rest of the bumper, so decided I had to invest some cash in in the job.

I initially tried back to black wax which was a white cream but I bought it on the recommendation of the guy in Halfords . It turned out to be just a wax protector.

I went back and bought some back to black stain which was black liquid. It worked fine and after 3 or four coats the bumper looked like new. I then gave it a coat of the wax and the bumper remains looking as new.

I can't remember the  the actual names of the products and I am away at present in the English Lakes so I can't check but do what I did, go to Halfords and open the relevant looking bottles whilst in the shop and ensure that the one that sounds right is actually black stain. Stick a finger in and you will know, as has been said it is very hard to remove, so do wear latex gloves whilst using it.

If you can wait till the weekend I will PM you with the names of the products when I get back home.

PM me and let me know.

A more permanent solution is to use a heat gun CAREFULLY and evenly over the surface. You will see an oily liquid form on the plastic, that's how you know it's working. Make sure you don't over do it or you'll scorch the pastic.

An alternative is to polish with peanut butter (smooth not crunchy), I know it sounds daft but it's something to do with the peanut oil

laimeduck - 2012-10-19 10:41 PM
Cliffy - 2012-10-19 10:29 PMRusty

I have PM'd you with the product details.

Cliff

Can you put the details on the forum please?

I did not think that the moderators approved of putting product recommendations on the forum but I suppose they can always take it down if they want to, so here goes.

The following is a little confusing the product that does the business is a 'Car Plan' product called 'Black Trim Wax'

This is a black liquid which you need to handle carefully as it blacks everything it comes in contact with. (But does polish off painted bodywork with a little effort)

The other product is a Turtle Wax product called 'Black in a Flash Trim Wax' which is white and a thin cream and has little effect other than polishing what you have. OK for mirrors etc .

I hunted out the blacking products in my workshop today, they were the above mentioned Carplan Black Trim Wax and a Turtle Wax version called Black Chrome.

Any other product will just shine up what you have. And yes, if your bumpers are already nicely black but dull, peanut butter does work :-)

When blacking the fading side mouldings on a panelvan motorhome, I found it easier to quickly run masking tape around the black plastic parts as the black wax is a real pain to shift from white paint.

Its easy to get into the loop of T-cutting the black off the white, then blacking off the the T-Cut you've got onto the black bits *-)

When you've repeated this half a dozen times... the masking method keeps you sane.

Cliffy - 2012-10-20 8:12 PM
laimeduck - 2012-10-19 10:41 PM
Cliffy - 2012-10-19 10:29 PMRusty

I have PM'd you with the product details.

Cliff

Can you put the details on the forum please?

I did not think that the moderators approved of putting product recommendations on the forum but I suppose they can always take it down if they want to, so here goes.

The following is a little confusing the product that does the business is a 'Car Plan' product called 'Black Trim Wax'

This is a black liquid which you need to handle carefully as it blacks everything it comes in contact with. (But does polish off painted bodywork with a little effort)

The other product is a Turtle Wax product called 'Black in a Flash Trim Wax' which is white and a thin cream and has little effect other than polishing what you have. OK for mirrors etc .

Thank you Cliffy - I'll try some Car Plan ............ PS Have the Mods banged you up yet?? 8-) 8-)

pelmetman - 2012-10-20 11:54 PM

laimeduck - 2012-10-20 11:49 PM

PS Have the Mods banged you up yet?? 8-) 8-)

Oooooh tell me more? :D

Dave, I assume that's YOU and not Sue!!!! 8-) Go and stand on the naughty step for an hour!!!! >:-)

Cliffy - no the mods don't mind you mentioning products so long as you're not the company selling them! If they did then we wouldn't be able to mention ANYTHING that we've bought which would make it a very boring forum ... except for the spats occasionally! :D

Archived