Changed to Calor Lite for free

Zydeco Joe

Hi,

Today I exchanged a normal old style red Calor 6K bottle for a 6K Lite at Go Outdoors Wolverhampton for the cost of the gas at £19.80. First phone call they told me that as Calor were in short supply of the lite bottle I would not be allowed to change to the lite bottle but when I told them that I had spoke direct to Calor and they had said it was no problem Go Outdoors then were going to check with Calor.

I phoned back 10mins later and spoke to a different person who said that I was right and he knew that Calor were accepting the old style red in exchange for the newer lighter bottles. Turned up at the store later and changed the bottles no problem.

If Go Outdoors can accept the old bottle so can every dealer.

Is it worth the extra £1.80 for the lite as the normal red is only £18.00 not sure but the weight loss is good.

Zydeco Joe

Any Calor Depot will exchange any Calor bottle for any other Calor bottle.

I think they are " Fractionally Smaller " because they go in my locker easier than the

old ones did.

I also find them easier to manoeuvre being lighter and having 2 separate handles

instead of only 1.

The level gauge also comes in handy, it`s only a rough guide but at least you know

when you are coming to the end of the bottle.

Regards.

Graham.

Then my local Calor Depot must be a " Special One " with very nice people.

When i went over to Calor Lites the first one i exchanged was a 13KG for a 6KG Lite

and the second was a 6KG for a 6KG Lite.

They said so long as they were Calor Bottles it didn`t matter.

That was then maybe things are different now.

I think a lot just depends on what they've got kicking about at the time.....

We swapped from using 'Lites,to a 13kg bottle a while back ...the first young chap I spoke with at our local caravan/MH dealer,said it wasn't allowed(which strictly speaking,it wasn't),yet when I pointed out that,at the time,there was lack of 'Lites "out there",he'd be daft not to take one back in,espsecially for the "not so popular" 13kg bottle..To which his "older" colleague agreed and permitted the swap...

(..just a pity they don't make 13kg 'lites ;-) )

My difference in cylinder sizes came about when we changed vans.

The last van took 2 x 13KG bottles and this one now only takes 2 x 6KG bottles.

The first swap was a 13 down to a 6 steel bottle which wasn`t a problem and i did

that so i had more room in the locker in the old van.

Then when we changed vans the other 13KG was virtually empty and the Lites had

just come out so i asked to change to one of them, no problem , and then the second

6KG steel for another Lite same again no problem.

The Calor Depot only 5 mins from my house and i`ve been using them for a long time

now, maybe that had something to do with it.

The old saying ..........." It`s not what you know, it`s who you know "............that counts.

Regards.

Graham.

I had the same problem earlier this year. Wanted to change my 13 kg for a 6kg lite, as we do not use much gas, was told by young woman at local caravan dealer that Calor had brought out a new restrictive ruling, so could only exchange like for like. I walked out in disgust, went to my local hardware shop which stocks Calor, changed with no problem at all.

The real question arising from this is exactly why Calor are being more restrictive? Is it simply that they saw another opportunity to screw the consumer with captive market they have in the UK for gas? I was tempted to ask Calor direct, but I am sure that I would have only got a bland corporate-speak reply. Any other speculation on reasons welcome!

Never had a problem swapping between bottles, 6kg lite for 13kg and vice versa. Have also swapped butane for Propane.

I cant see what difference it makes, when you go to a dealer with a 13kg bottle and swap it up for a 6kg lite, Calor would not know any different as you run out in different places and go to the nearest dealer to replace, so there cannot be a rigid stock control on particular bottles.

The place we go is very obliging after all its money in the till equals profit and another happy customer who will come back time and time again, and will recommend them to others.

Fortunately my (used) 'van came with 2 Calorlite bottles bought by the previous owner.

I have though, got two 3.9kg bottles that I bought years ago for our gas barbecue.

I don't have the receipts or contracts and the dealer I bought from has since closed down.

Do the bottles still carry a deposit value on them or do I simply hand them back in somewhere?

Thanks.

nuevoboy - 2012-10-18 8:01 PM

Fortunately my (used) 'van came with 2 Calorlite bottles bought by the previous owner.

I have though, got two 3.9kg bottles that I bought years ago for our gas barbecue.

I don't have the receipts or contracts and the dealer I bought from has since closed down.

Do the bottles still carry a deposit value on them or do I simply hand them back in somewhere?

Thanks.

There is an active market on ebay for old gas bottles - I have sold one myself. Car boot sales are also a good place to buy / sell them. I think in theory you 'rent' the bottles from Calor, so no official buy back exists.

David Dwight - 2012-10-18 7:59 PM

Never had a problem swapping between bottles, 6kg lite for 13kg and vice versa. Have also swapped butane for Propane.

I cant see what difference it makes, when you go to a dealer with a 13kg bottle and swap it up for a 6kg lite, Calor would not know any different as you run out in different places and go to the nearest dealer to replace, so there cannot be a rigid stock control on particular bottles.

The place we go is very obliging after all its money in the till equals profit and another happy customer who will come back time and time again, and will recommend them to others.

Hi David,

I`d just like to say a big " THANK YOU " for preserving my sanity.........LOL.

I am so glad someone else has been able to do it.

I was beginning to think i was imagining it and it had all been a dream.

Regards.

Graham.

It's possible some have experienced problems, particularly swaping standard Calor cylinders for the Calor-lites, as there did seem to be a short supply of Calor-lites a couple of years ago.

I changed shortly after they became available & only had to pay the differential between the two cylinders cost.

I was at one point asked by my Calor outlet if I would accept a standard 6kg Calor cylinder as replacement for a Calor-lite, as he was having difficulty getting supplies of the Calorlite.

I accepted (at the lower price) & then changed back to the Calorlite, for next refill & he sold me that at cut price for helping him out.

Archived