Motorised Satellite dishes

coach2000

Can anyone give me any info on buying an Oyster vision, Teleco or Camos system. Have any readers got one installed in their motorhome? I want to use it in the south of France and would appreciate it if anyone can tell me of any problems they have had with their system. I am sure a lot of readers would be interested and I would appreciate the advice. Thanks, Clive.

Hello Clive, Clive here also. Have a look on the Roadpro web site where the Camos Dome has an independant in depth critique by another motorhomer. Satellite TV was covered in great depth on this forum some good time back. Terestrial TV still works well in France as well??? (No Coronation Street though) Is it your coach company as well?. Busmans holiday perhaps?

We have the oyster and find it really good the only problem which is standard with all dont park under a tree . I waited for ages listening to it trying to hunt a sat then realised it couldn't get through the trees . We also registred the sky box to it and watch anything abroad. \Iwould recommend i

• 8 months later...
After a disasterous couple of days of not being able to get the football results on our crankup dish for my hubby I am thinking of investing in a motorised dish that will seek out the relevant satellite. I know the costs are quite high but the saving on arguments must be worth it. I am thinking of sticking him on the crank up pole. Has anyone any experience of the different makes of systems. We have a Teleco Voyager at the moment, but there must be many different makes and I wonder which everyone is pleased with, bearing in mind that 99% of the time it will be used in France.

[QUOTE]Randonneur - 2007-04-08 2:29 PM After a disasterous couple of days of not being able to get the football results on our crankup dish for my hubby I am thinking of investing in a motorised dish that will seek out the relevant satellite.[/QUOTE] What problems did you have? Where were you? What channel were you looking for?

Clive (the first one!), We have a Kathrein CAP210 system, also via RoadPro, which has proved very efficient. It only has the equivalent of a 50cm dish but seems to pick up all that the larger ones can, even on the Algarve. The only problem with a fixed dish is, like Michele says, you need a decent line of sight to the satellite, which is not always possible if campsite pitches are on short supply.

[QUOTE]RonB - 2007-04-08 3:40 PM Clive (the first one!), We have a Kathrein CAP210 system, also via RoadPro, which has proved very efficient. It only has the equivalent of a 50cm dish but seems to pick up all that the larger ones can, even on the Algarve.[/QUOTE] Does that include Astra 2d i.e. BBC1/2/3/4, ITV1/2/3/4 or C4 and C5 on the Astra 2a/2b north beams?

We are in the South charente. The picking up of satellites is very hit and miss. We were just outside Niort yesterday with a clear line of sight but couldn't get any response at all. I have printed off all the relevant help papers but wonder whether when our dish is down it bangs on the roof and it could be that the LNB is damaged. There doesn't seem to be anything to cushion it. We had it working, no problem, near Perpignan the other week, but this weekend, no go. We have the dish hooked up to a Sky digibox and that works perfectly in the house.

[QUOTE]Randonneur - 2007-04-08 4:23 PM I have printed off all the relevant help papers but wonder whether when our dish is down it bangs on the roof and it could be that the LNB is damaged. There doesn't seem to be anything to cushion it. [/QUOTE] When our crank-up is laying flat, the LNB arm sits on a rubber sleeved cradle. The dish lowers on to this cradle. The LNB is not fixed in place and can jump up and down a bit. Are you trying to tune it directly with a Sky digibox? If you are, it can be quite a difficult thing to do. I use a cheapo FTA receiver (Lidl, Aldi, BricoDepot sell them). It is very responsive with a built in sat finder - tone and bars - and you can see the picture as well. I first tune into Sky News and then disconnect the FTA box and replace it with the Sky box. That loads up instantly to channel 998. Here's a pic of the Crank up showing the cradle.

[QUOTE]Randonneur - 2007-04-08 5:11 PM Many thanks Derek. Yes, I am trying to link it up to a Sky box. When you say you link yours up to a FTA box and pick up sky news does it find Astra 2 for BBC etc. You mention BricoDepot, do you mean here in France? Sylvia [/QUOTE] Yes, except it won't get encrypted channels like C4 and C5. But I usually only use it as a tuning tool and then replace it with the Sky box. I'm sure the French BricoDepot would sell similar items to ours here in Spain. Last week our Aldi had a Medion FTA sat box for 35 Euros and BricoDepot had a combined FTA satellite/Digital terrestrial box for about 70 Euros.

It's not motorised so a bit off topic, but maybe useful information. I use the Multimo Satellite Dish See http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/multimo.htm , it receives very well all over France from the Mediterranean (Spanish Border) and North to Delft in Holland, coupled with the Pace Javelin model 1000 sat receiver http://www.satcure.com/accs/pace_info.htm , now obsolete but still obtainable. It can be more difficult to set up if you don’t use a satfinder, we use a analogue satfinder , sold out on this link but still available elsewhere http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page6.htm . I tried to set another Motorhomes satellite dish with up with their LED satfinder – I just couldn’t find the satellite with it, found it straight away with the analogue satfinder, it has a tone as well as you near the Astra 2d satellite, so not keen on the digital satfinders now. The Multimo Dish went down twice in four years, that’s nearly two years continuous bashed about use, was replaced free of charge on both occasions as it has a twenty month warranty each time. The first time the Horizontal channels could not be received, the vertical channels were received okay, the second time was water ingress, once dried out it worked okay, but was replaced anyway FOC. I now carry a couple of spare LNB’s only £10 each on Ebay and they don’t take up any room, recommend others do the same, as they can be changed out easily and will prove if your LNB is faulty or not. I noticed Randonneur has maybe an intermittent problem, its as well to take 10 mtrs or so of cable and some connectors, so you can at least patch directly from the Dish to the box and prove whether your wired in down lead is in good nick or not. I had this problem at one time while away, intermittent fail to find the satellite turned out to be the feed from the LNB to the Sky Box was bad. Regards Terry

Thanks Terry, never thought of the cable being faulty. When we bought the motorhome the Teleco dish was already installed with an anologue receiver, therefore, don't know how old it is. We do have a minidish on a tripod that we had for the caravan, maybe we should take that with us to try it out. We too have a sat meter and it was making the requisite noises but no signal on the box, box is ok as I have just plugged it in here at home. Will just have to keep trying, I may try what Derek suggested and get a cheap FTA receiver, can't lose anything by it, cheaper than going the automatic route. By the way, him indoors has just found out that his football team won yesterday (Bolton Waanderers) so he's happy now.

[QUOTE]Randonneur - 2007-04-08 5:59 PM We too have a sat meter and it was making the requisite noises but no signal on the box, box is ok as I have just plugged it in here at home. [/QUOTE] This could be due to the new Arab satellite that has launched and is positioned at 26° E, very close to Astra.

[QUOTE]whisturx - 2007-04-08 8:15 PM Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has been having problems with the Arab Sat BADR 4. See post on Arab satellite TV on second page of this forum. Ian[/QUOTE] One of the reasons I prefer to use a FTA box for tuning. So much easier than just using a sat meter or Sky box.

Hi all I have the 40cm static Camos fitted and I have also installed the "moving" version on a friends trailer. Its a relatively simple job to fit one. The only problems we have had was in the south of France with the picture breaking up in a storm but then a neighbour had an oyster and had the same problem. I use a pace box and £20 Sky free to view card, receiving all the main 5 channels.

• 3 months later...

Archived