Fiat 'shudder' still a problem?

Teelin

Greetings, I am considering downsizing & considering a Hymer Car 322, based on a Fiat 2.3 120 hp engine. I recall reading about shudder & reverse gear problems. Has all this been resolved? Any update would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Teelin - 2012-10-18 9:35 PM

Greetings, I am considering downsizing & considering a Hymer Car 322, based on a Fiat 2.3 120 hp engine. I recall reading about shudder & reverse gear problems. Has all this been resolved? Any update would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi "Teelin",

I've no idea what a Hymer Car 322 is, or what year.

I have a 2008 reg Ducato PVC that had a shudder, was fixed, and is now ok/great. If your Hymer is out of warranty it may not be an issue anyway, but if it's in warranty then I'd say it should have been sorted.

Test it and check paperwork, can't do more really,

regards

alan b

snowie - 2012-10-18 11:38 PM

Many thanks

Hi "Teelin",

I've no idea what a Hymer Car 322 is, or what year.

I have a 2008 reg Ducato PVC that had a shudder, was fixed, and is now ok/great. If your Hymer is out of warranty it may not be an issue anyway, but if it's in warranty then I'd say it should have been sorted.

Test it and check paperwork, can't do more really,

regards

alan b

Hi Alan,

Have a look here :- http://www.travelworldrv.co.uk/motorhome-sales/hymer/car-322-gt-line/1071

Guest JudgeMental

45K for bankrupt stock..you can get a new one in Germany for 32K *-)

edit: just noticed this GT model, still cheaper in Germany....

You don't say if new or used, we considered this but went for Adria, better bed and frame, larger roof windows,better table arrangement etc..etc...

Thanks for the link Wooie; nice van.

Going back to the OP, I see that it's also a downsizing exercise.

I'd be inclined to checkout recent threads on PVCs, for and against. It's easy to make an expensive mistake

Never having had a "large" van I know nothing else but a PVC. I've walked around coachbuilts at dealers, but never lived with one. I've said it before, I don't think PVCs that are scaled down versions of "classic" or "standard" layouts work.

If Teelin has been using his current van for longterm camping, or winter trips to warmer climes, a PVC will feel a bit tight (I would suggest). I'd say the "shudder" is less significant.

regards

alan b

About 38K for the GT Eddie.

Back to OP, not aware of any judder problems with Hymers on Fiat chassis however if it is an older one you are looking at might be worth making sure the mods are done to make reversing easier as the original gearing was very high. When my van was a year old I had mine moded for that reason, I phoned fiat told them it juddered and they book me into my local dealer for the mods.

Many thanks

If you are going for a new van answer is yes. It was resolved in 2008 with a 'fix' offered by Fiat, later models have revised gearbox. As you say 120bhp fiat must assume it is new or late model so all will be OK.

If downsizing, consider the merit of a coachbuilt "van" as opposed to a PVC. Several continental manufacturers make them, including Hymer. Same length as a PVC (6 metres), slightly wider by around 0.1 metres but usefully more spacious inside due to the squarer body, and better insulation. Prices are comparable.

Richard.

IIRC the Hymer Car 322 was only introduced for the 2010 / 2011 model year.

As mentioned above, the Sevel "juddergate" problem was resolved late 2008, so any van or chassis produced from 2009 onward should be OK. Those previous should have been modified.(which may or may not have fully resolved the judder.) so check to ensure the modifications have been done.

If downsizing, it may also be worthwhile having a look at the new model from Hymer Compact or Burstner Brevio equivelant coachbuilts. (5.99m long, 2.10m wide, same as the Hymer Car PVC)

I have been away for a few days, hence my delay in responding to the most useful comments from you all. My grateful thanks for answering my original 'shudder' concern but to those who went on to advise me regarding downsizing, a further thank you!

I currently use a Pilote Explorateur (6.8M) A class which I bought in 2005 & have enjoyed winters in Spain every year until now. My only reason for considering a smaller van is thinking of the future (getting older!) & how it may double as an everyday form of transport when not in Spain. I tend not to motorhome in these parts (British Isles) in the summer months so my current van tends to sit on the drive, for 6 months of the year. The suggestions from you regarding smaller coachbuilt types will now be looked at more closely - more research!!

Best regards

Archived