Skiing in a motor home!

Guest Peter Assinder

Guest Peter Assinder
I have just returned from skiing in Italy (Cervinia) and I noticed about 30/ 40 motor homes in the towns carpark. I have previously had no interest in motor homes but now having realised it might be a way of going skiing more often I am totally hooked. Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about motor homes or whether it is feasible to stay in a motor home at a ski resort. Is there anyone out there who has had any experience of driving/ staying in a motor home at a ski resort or could give me any advice about buying one?

There is no 5-line answer to your question, but, in summary: - yes, loads of people do ski in motorhomes (not actually inside them, of course!) - many ski resorts have camp sites open throughout the year - for preference you need a motorhome with all the water tanks (fresh and waste) and all the water piping inside the body (not hung on below), though there are heating systems available for those hung on below - be aware that, for the annual cost of a suitable motorhome (interest forgone, depreciation, tax, etc.,) you can probably stay in a ski resort for quite a while - but that motorhome adds hugely to your flexibility and you can use it year round. If you want a copy of my paper on how to choose a motorhome, post your email address and I'll send you a copy.

I know people don't ski "in" motorhomes but I'm sure some could easily ski "on" the overcab section of many of the ones now on the market - is it me or are they getting huge?

Peter This is how we started, so I see where you are coming from. We had had motorcaravans, campers really, for ages on and off, but in the "2nd car/take a tent if need be" mode, then took our kids, then young teenagers, for their first ski trip, eyed up all the motorhomes, and decided to buy a bigger, winterised one. Best thing we ever did, as with kids you have colossal package holiday costs and we have easily halved the costs. It is not free though!! For us, being 4, it is economic, for 1 or 2, you might be as cheap on a very cheap package as you need to factor in dearer ferry (we use tunnel at cheapest rate)more fuel and higher tolls. Having said that we are about to go without our boys and decided we couldn't face the package as we love it so much...you are totally free to go where the snow is good when you set off and we have it all geared up now, so someone else's apartment would seem like a hardship! we expect to pay around £500 all in for the tunnel, tolls, fuel, gas and any parking fees based on last year...and that is for a big motorhome. You also save by feeding yourselves and doing a wine shop at calais on the way home... We will then later go with our boys and the comparative savings are higher. Best tips on buying a van would be 1. Go for a high quality european van, even if elderly, as a general rule british vans are not as well winterised 2.read Robin Smith's notes available via coupon in MMM, also David Jobson's tips on motorhome list's forum to get an idea of the issues you need to consider, you can DIY certain bits of insulation, but buying a suitable van in the first place will be half the battle 3. Where to go can follow Regards, Ruth

Guest Peter Assinder
Mel E - would be grateful for more advice on which motorhome to buy. Also many thanks for all the advice so far on 'Skiing in a motorhome'. Peter.

Peter,I'm not Mel E, but your main considerations are: As Mel says, tanks need to be internal and all pipes too, ideally external valves too, but this is only to be found in very new models, plus thickness of insulation in walls, ceiling, floor. Only very recently have any of the british makes really addressed this, and you are looking at new or nearly new top end vans such as swift kontikis. Even so, I think they still don't match the continentals on this. So, you probably need to think european, you may be looking at used models, but looking at the spec of new models of the following brands will give you an idea. Do not ask salesmen at shows they rarely understand it fully or gloss over the nitty gritty. So, for a used van you'd be better looking at the higher quality continental makes, albeit older models: German, eg Hymer, Knaus,Euromobil, possibly Burstner Italian eg Laika, possibly Mobilvetta Spanish eg Benimar French eg Rapido, possibly Pilote On a practical note, too, you need to think about having enough space to exist comfortably inside, where you will dry stuff, heating systems(blown air heating in the entire van is essential, not just a gas fire unit, "wet" central heating (Alde) is even better. Ski and boot storage, etc. If you have any specific questions you are welcome to email me HTH Regards, Ruth

To get a fully winterised 'van you have a fairly limited choice. You are definitely looking only at Continental models. In most cases, you will also need to look for models with double floors (the tanks are installed between the floors). This includes some Hymer, Euramobil. It excludes Mobilvetta (until this year's models)and most French and Spanish-built motorhomes. The problem is that many continental manufacturers build a few winetrised models but many that are not. So you're into a detailed model search. And before you start that you need to be very clear about the 'must haves' and the 'nice to haves'. I personally would include hot water central heating as a very low priority, simply because it narrows your choice hugely. The critical thing is fresh and waste tanks (including loo tank or cassette) and accompanying piping that can be kept above freezing point by a suitable heating system. And a heating system for the van that keeps you warm - as Ruth says, that means a blown air system. No start looking at models! If you need more suggestions, post again - it's what this site is for.

I agree with Mel that wet heating systenms are rare, good as they are. I would also add, for clarity, that double floors will be hard to come by on a much older model, but obviously if buying new they are ideal. The crucial thing, as Mel says, is where the tanks and pipes are and how they will be kept from freezing. In effect, you can rule out any vans that were from cheaper ranges initially, any british vans, and any vans where you walk in and see a fixed fire, even before you start to find out about insulation, tanks and pipes. Does this point you in the right direction for starters? Regards, Ruth

• 2 years later...
[QUOTE]Tomo3090 - 2007-08-17 9:04 AM Please could you let me know what is the optimium angle to park at that allows skiing in the van? And if I put up the awning could I use a bobsleigh instead?[/QUOTE] Tomo You need oversized leveling ramps & a rear door entry M/H to get the optimum angle. First find a site with a gentle slope park front end up hill and then onto the leveling blocks. this should give an adequate angle. Remove carpets ( they cause drag). Open rear door & use can seatbacks as a launch aid to push off. Won't give you the acceleration to do an "Eddie the Eagle" ski jump but saves walking to the lifts. You could carry the Awning fabric in a rucksac and then when you have sufficient speed or approach a cliff , pull it out and use it as parassender style.

Archived