Locks replacement

crob

We have a Hymer with 2 sets of keys - ignition, doors/lockers and remote for alarm. I sometimes keep both sets of keys together in the house - silly thing to do, as the unthinkable happened a couple of weeks ago when we got burgled and both sets of keys were stolen.

There are 13 different locks on the van - 4 for the doors/garage on a central locking system, and 9 others, for gas bottle locker, storage, toilet, water, 240v etc. They all work from the same key - nice and easy.

My insurance policy is through Comfort, and ends up with Aviva as the insurer. There is a replacement locks clause to cover the ignition key, door and boot locks, which states that they will pay for:-

the door locks and/or boot lock

the ignition/steering lock

the lock transmitter and central locking interface

provided that YOU can establish to our satisfaction that the identity or garaging address is known to any person who is in possession of your keys or transmitter.

The proviso is obvious - the thieves ARE in possession of both the keys etc and they know my address.

So far, Aviva have only agreed to pay for the ignition keys, the 4 locks on the central locking system, and 2 of the remaining 7 locks, and 2 new remote fobs. If the alarm system is too old for replacement fobs, they have said that they will not pay for a new alarm system.

So, I have thieves with keys who will be able to access 5 locks that will be for the 240v, water, toilet, boilers and the leisure batteries. The ignition keys are new so the old ones will no longer work.

Has anyone had experience of lock changes similar to the above? If so, did their insurer replace ALL the locks, or just the ones they thought were "valuable"? Does anyone have any views on the reasonableness of Aviva's position?

As usual, all contributions will be welcome.

Colin Robinson.

I can't advise on the reasonableness of the position (though it seems odd to me to offer to replace only 2 out of 7 similar locks).

It may, however, be worthwhile trying to assess the financial impact. If, as I believe is common on Hymers, your vehicle is fitted with locks with a "Zadi" barrel, replacements for these (barrels), which can be key-matched, are somewhat under £10 each to buy, and are generally not difficult to fit.

Archived