Webasto Diesel Heaters

alan

Hi All

Can I sound out the experts? I'm considering a van conversion and had settled on a Webasto diesel heater but was speaking to someone at the recent NEC Show and they mentioned that Webasto also do a combined hob/heater - has anyone any experience or knowledge about this? I've no experience at all on this form of heating/cooking so would be grateful for any comments. :-D

Alan

Guest JudgeMental

They are available and I would consider if it means doing away with all the hassle of gas. But German dealer I use does not like the heating as says they are unreliable and warranty work a nightmare.

only single plate from this version...needs to be at least 2 to catch on I would think. I am sure others do them...

http://motorhome.webasto.co.uk/cooking.html

http://www.webasto-outdoors.com/gasfree.html

When I drove a truck, they had them as night heaters and they were very good if a little noisy.

We have one in our Chausson and it is very good. Takes a bit to get going and smells a bit from the outside, whilst warming up.

I was told that the trick is to use it during the summer to keep it in use, as if you don't then it will probably let you down in the winter. :-D

We used to have a Chausson Flash 04 which had one and found it efficient but noisy. They need to be maintained though, as in effect they are a 'little engine', so a bit more 'hassle' than a gas system and need running to keep them sweet.

When we had a problem with ours we had a game of ping-pong - Webasto said they weren't interested as it had been 'modified' because it had been installed in a motorhome so wasn't original! We, through trial and error, managed to get to the bottom of it though and it turned out to be a faulty controller which was covered under the Chausson warranty, although we never got it sorted before we traded it in (we did tell the dealer we px'd it with though!).

Personally I prefer gas mainly as it is now half the cost of diesel so therefore has got to be cheaper to run, but also because the Truma Combi 6E we have, as a 'side effect' of running the heating, warms the water up so we get 'free' hot water!

crinklystarfish - 2012-10-19 9:23 PMExpensive for what they are. Only worth considering if determined to build a totally lpg-free conversion.

Yes, the diesel hob is incredibly expensive.

The heating unit in my van works well but there have been a lot of problems with the control panel, I've had two replacements on mine (Under warranty)

The first van I had came with one of these 'hidden gems'. I say 'hidden' as I never even noticed it until after buying the van. A bit noisy on start up (mine sounded like a jet preparing for take off so quite impressive!), but once going they quieten down.

Far more efficient than gas and of course much much cheaper to run.

Hi,

We have a 9kw Webasto on our boat, the design of the burner unit results in noisy start up but only for a few mins

Ours has now 3500 hours running time to date and this is heating 8 double rads and hot water

How the little water pump circulates through two 80ft circuits I have no idea

Great bit of kit

Ray

Archived