Spanish Money Collector's

nowtelse2do

lennyhb - 2012-10-21 7:21 PM

Patricia - 2012-10-21 6:59 PM

I have also noticed this fact and tried to work out the difference between owner and registered keeper. Anyone know?

If you have ever brought a car on HP you should know the finance company is the owner of the vehicle you are the registered keeper.

I have been driving since the late sixty's as far I am aware it has always been the case.

Some years ago had a car broken into in France (Lyon of course) went to the cops wouldn't do a thing until they had seen the registration doc which I had left in my case in my customer's office, once they had doc in hand processed the crime report I needed for insurance claim.

I was driving in the 60's, car logbooks then had ALL the previous owners listed in them, AND were 'proof of ownership' , it was exchanged as cash changed hands, and not before.

In your example, if your car had been stolen, and not just 'broken into' and of course to be 'legal' you had the V5c in the vehicle.........would they have processed the crime report ??? either it is a 'Precious document' to be produced 'when required' or it is an extension of the registration plates and kept in the car, it can't be both. Ray

silverback - 2012-10-21 12:46 AMwhat i am saying is..if you get pulled up by the cops ere, you have a specified time to produce your docs... does that not apply in europe?why would you carry original docs with you ?your married? do you carry your marriage cert with you?all im saying is surely you must have time to produce docs?if in europe you have to produce everything down to the kitchen sink. thats unreasonable they are on the take..they even do it in the uk..i say call there bluff you have not done owt wrongjonathan

Jonathon, don't confuse UK law with anywhere else in Europe.

1) 'Time to produce documents' does NOT apply in mainland Europe

2)  Why should you be given time ?

3) Some cops in some countries maybe on the take, but when I was stopped in Czech republic the cops were very polite but since 100% of the local population always carry these docs they obviously expect foreigners to do the same. As it happened I didn't have my 'spare light bulbs' kit and was fined £2.90, he wrote out a receipt after carefully inserting TWO carbon sheets in his reporting book and giving me the original !!!!!

4) Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong in that you HAVE done something wrong in not carrying these documents, as I said the UK is not mainland Europe and people over there can see the obvious benefits of always carrying their documents. 

Patricia - 2012-10-21 9:07 AMCertainly no time allowed at all in France - on the spot fines. You even have to show the "Carte Grise" (V05) before they will carry out the "Controle Technique" (MOT equivalent). If stopped by police this and driving licence are the first things they ask for.

Pretty much the same here Patricia, you also must have either a passport or identity card.

Forgot to say that insurance for French cars is on the windscreen. Also that procedures are different in some French departments. For example, when I applied for my Carte Sejour I took all the necessary documents in their original form, waited in the queue for ages, presented the documents and was promptly despatched to find a photocopying machine the other side of the city. On return had to go to the back of the queue again and eventually they took the photocopies, never once glancing at the originals! The procedure took an entire day.

On another occasion I had a car stolen and was not asked once to produce the documents mentioned in this thread - just as well as they were in the car!

Losos - 2012-10-21 8:50 PM
silverback - 2012-10-21 12:46 AMwhat i am saying is..if you get pulled up by the cops ere, you have a specified time to produce your docs... does that not apply in europe?why would you carry original docs with you ?your married? do you carry your marriage cert with you?all im saying is surely you must have time to produce docs?if in europe you have to produce everything down to the kitchen sink. thats unreasonable they are on the take..they even do it in the uk..i say call there bluff you have not done owt wrongjonathan

Jonathon, don't confuse UK law with anywhere else in Europe.

1) 'Time to produce documents' does NOT apply in mainland Europe

2)  Why should you be given time ?

3) Some cops in some countries maybe on the take, but when I was stopped in Czech republic the cops were very polite but since 100% of the local population always carry these docs they obviously expect foreigners to do the same. As it happened I didn't have my 'spare light bulbs' kit and was fined £2.90, he wrote out a receipt after carefully inserting TWO carbon sheets in his reporting book and giving me the original !!!!!

4) Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong in that you HAVE done something wrong in not carrying these documents, as I said the UK is not mainland Europe and people over there can see the obvious benefits of always carrying their documents. 

just thought giving you time would be a nice gesture 8-) jon

rubberrat - 2012-10-21 9:47 AM.......................... Our Portuguese friend also said that we must carry a passport too, although I haven't delved into the truths and legalities of that although I have started to keep it with me in case. .........................

In most countries where ID cards are required, you must be able to identify yourself to a police officer if asked to do so. UK has no ID cards, so your passport is the only other generally accepted alternative. Photocard driving licence MAY suffice in some circumstances, but passport the only guaranteed alternative. Why don't folk know this stuff?

Patricia - 2012-10-21 6:59 PM

I have also noticed this fact and tried to work out the difference between owner and registered keeper. Anyone know?

On our old van I was registered keeper as I used it for daily transport, but gf was owner.

On present van I'm registered keeper as I have insurance with NCB transfered to van whilst we are both joint owners. There are even more complicated issues with ownership/keeper within the family but lets not go there it get complicated.

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-21 9:58 PM

Photocard driving licence MAY suffice in some circumstances, but passport the only guaranteed alternative.

Why don't folk know this stuff?

Because WE are British, and should not be subject to the laws of foreign countries.

We already speak to them loudly, and slowly in English, so that they can understand - what more do they want ?

;-)

Archived