hymer import

EdJ

Would like to hear on views from anyone who has imported a hymer Motorhome from Germany.How did it go.Any problems.They say they will take a trade in as well. If I buy a lefthand vehicle can the lights be switched or does it need a complete replacement. A lefthand drive has a shorter waiting time.They advised to get a replacement Speedo from ford.What about resale. Am looking at a Hymer512 Exlsis ford. All advice grateful. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

with Fiat you can just change speedometer dial, and it looks like you can do this with Ford also as available on this link. have a look on you tube lots of videos on how to do it or get someone to do it for you

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/transit-c465.html

Yes headlights need to be changed,depending on how hot DVLA are were you live you might get away with beem deflectors but DVLA are tightening up. Ebay best for this as you can probably buy without bulbs and swap over..I have my LHD lights in garage and will swap back when I PX van.

you may also need to fit fog lamp,my van has 2 so no need, just wire a cheap one in if you need to, dealer may do this for you as sometimes you can just swap over.

Guest JudgeMental
when you find thye van, just get dealer to send photo of dial and then you can select right one from Lockwood web site...you can also call them they are very helpful

Most interesting site that Judge. Seems good value when compared to UK.

Not in the market at the moment or probably for a few years, but are there any pitfalls, apart from the exchange rate?

Lenny states he purchased his from Belgium RHD, didn't realise that was possible. :-D

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2012-10-20 4:18 PM

Good site Eddie but out of curiosity just had a look at prices for Chauson Welcome 99 and they are around 63,000 euro and then add expenses and hassle of getting it, can buy in the UK, same spec for £49,000, would seem not all vans are cheaper in Europe.

I just looked and did not see one 99, a few 69 & 89 I think...Remember you can play one dealer of against another and get a decent discount. when i got the Euramobil, 2 dealers offered 17% out of about 5 I talked to. I went for the one in Belgium as more convenient.

What's the hassle.....a cheap flight and drive home, over a weekend if must...then headlight/speedo and registration.

Re Hymer. just call dealer in Belgium and ask re RHD but it is not common. They are as competitive as Palmowski and a hell of a lot nearer!

EdJ - 2012-10-20 11:53 AM

Cheers. The lights are an eaay diy I hope. Bosch lighting.

Don't worry about whose lights are fitted, but make sure the spec matches. Fitting, is remove two screws, and one plug on headlamp unit. Headlamp withdraws to front but has two rubber retainers that it will "pop" free of. Transfer plug to new headlamp, insert in reverse order of removal, give front of unit a bump to engage the rubber retainers, and insert the two screws. 10 mins per side.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2012-10-20 5:51 PM

Don't worry about whose lights are fitted, but make sure the spec matches. Fitting, is remove two screws, and one plug on headlamp unit. Headlamp withdraws to front but has two rubber retainers that it will "pop" free of. Transfer plug to new headlamp, insert in reverse order of removal, give front of unit a bump to engage the rubber retainers, and insert the two screws. 10 mins per side.

Ah! So your back Kirby's !? Talking to friends (local Italian aristocrats) this afternoon..26 deg at Lake Garda and enjoying boating on lake and dinner in Salo tonight......Moi? as sick as a parrot! *-)

JudgeMental - 2012-10-20 6:19 PM

Ah! So your back Kirby's !? Talking to friends (local Italian aristocrats) this afternoon..26 deg at Lake Garda and enjoying boating on lake and dinner in Salo tonight......Moi? as sick as a parrot! *-)

No, not yet. Still truckin'! :-)

Apologies, should have added that the above is only relevant to Hymer Vans based on the Transit platform-cab. The Exsis is Transit based, but chassis-cowl, and has Hymer special lights, that may be switchable. However some Exsis models are now coming on the Fiat platform, rather than the Ford, and my comments re ease of switching will definitely not apply to those.

Hawcara - 2012-10-20 4:38 PM

Most interesting site that Judge. Seems good value when compared to UK.

Not in the market at the moment or probably for a few years, but are there any pitfalls, apart from the exchange rate?

Lenny states he purchased his from Belgium RHD, didn't realise that was possible. :-D

I think currently it's only Hymer that will supply RHD when brought in mainland Europe. Cost us 1300€ extra current price for RHD is 1500€ can increase delivery time by up to 6 months as they wait until they run a batch of RHD's. I don't think the Exsis on Ford chassis chassis is still imported to the UK so may not be possible, the Exsis on Fiat is a much better vehicle although more expensive.

Belgium dealer works on German price list when selling for export (much lower than Belgium price) and gives 10% discount, also will drive van to the port for you.

JudgeMental - 2012-10-20 5:37 PM

rupert123 - 2012-10-20 4:18 PM

Good site Eddie but out of curiosity just had a look at prices for Chauson Welcome 99 and they are around 63,000 euro and then add expenses and hassle of getting it, can buy in the UK, same spec for £49,000, would seem not all vans are cheaper in Europe.

I just looked and did not see one 99, a few 69 & 89 I think...Remember you can play one dealer of against another and get a decent discount. when i got the Euramobil, 2 dealers offered 17% out of about 5 I talked to. I went for the one in Belgium as more convenient.

!

Just had another look Eddie and their are four on offer. Hate to admit this but the one I looked at first was an automatic, standard van works out at around £43,000 before negotiation so a lot cheaper. If i never had a px would try for this myself but may sell my van private as in no rush. Problem is the price i have been offered in px is so good I suspect i would lose most of my gains on buying in europe on this and it is the price to change that matters, not the price you pay. If i had a lhd van i can certainly see the price advantage here four buying in europe. If we go for a europeon built van may have to 'bite the bullit' and sell ours privately.

Guest JudgeMental

H you just have to do the math and work out what's best deal for you..Not a great time to sell but could have it on ebay in 10 minutes to test the market?

H this is Belgian dealer who I have been talking to about new van I am considering. also chaussan dealer. His prices are keen and has offered better deal then German. PM me for details

http://www.alphamotorhomes.be/nl/chausson

Edj, you need to drive them and make your own mind up? *-)

IMO Fiat quieter, stronger, firmer suspension and a better drive. dash also easier to read, seats also better, just a better van all round....

Archived