hymer import

EdJ

The wait time for a mainland Europe lhd van is quicker than rhd vehicle. I will use it mainly in France Spain etc so prob a non UK spec van should do me. Prob buy kettle satellite tv etc in France and use this when touring UK. Would uk electric appliances be a prob other than dif plug. Wonder what demand would be for a sale when the time came after a few years.

Guest JudgeMental

you can sell it here but there will be less interest then in a RHD. But you will get a much better PX in Europe.

buy a couple of euro plugs and fit to UK multiplug

EdJ - 2012-10-21 11:30 AM

The wait time for a mainland Europe lhd van is quicker than rhd vehicle. I will use it mainly in France Spain etc so prob a non UK spec van should do me. Prob buy kettle satellite tv etc in France and use this when touring UK. Would uk electric appliances be a prob other than dif plug. Wonder what demand would be for a sale when the time came after a few years.

Plugs only problem. French plugs won't fit German sockets, so buy plenty spare German plugs in Germany! :-)

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-21 1:19 PM
EdJ - 2012-10-21 11:30 AMThe wait time for a mainland Europe lhd van is quicker than rhd vehicle. I will use it mainly in France Spain etc so prob a non UK spec van should do me. Prob buy kettle satellite tv etc in France and use this when touring UK. Would uk electric appliances be a prob other than dif plug. Wonder what demand would be for a sale when the time came after a few years.
Plugs only problem. French plugs won't fit German sockets, so buy plenty spare German plugs in Germany! :-)

I live in France with a German van ( and also had a French van) and you are partially correct Brian, French rewireable ( Fully round with no earth cut out) plugs do not fit the sockets fitted to Camping cars but I have never had a problem with the plugs supplied with a new appliance, to overcome the problem of using the old UK appliances that I had rewired using French plugs in the van I bought a French multi socket ( short extension lead), but French two-ways do not work.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2012-10-20 8:46 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-10-20 6:19 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-20 5:51 PM

EdJ - 2012-10-20 11:53 AM

Cheers. The lights are an eaay diy I hope. Bosch lighting.

Don't worry about whose lights are fitted, but make sure the spec matches. Fitting, is remove two screws, and one plug on headlamp unit. Headlamp withdraws to front but has two rubber retainers that it will "pop" free of. Transfer plug to new headlamp, insert in reverse order of removal, give front of unit a bump to engage the rubber retainers, and insert the two screws. 10 mins per side.

Ah! So your back Kirby's !? Talking to friends (local Italian aristocrats) this afternoon..26 deg at Lake Garda and enjoying boating on lake and dinner in Salo tonight......Moi? as sick as a parrot! *-)

No, not yet. Still truckin'! :-)

Dont rush back then ..It has not stopped raining for 3 days and last time I had a bike ride was Thursday :-S

if it was not for my health I would move abroad *-)

Retread24800 - 2012-10-21 12:42 PM
EdJ - 2012-10-21 11:30 AMThe wait time for a mainland Europe lhd van is quicker than rhd vehicle. I will use it mainly in France Spain etc so prob a non UK spec van should do me. Prob buy kettle satellite tv etc in France and use this when touring UK. Would uk electric appliances be a prob other than dif plug. Wonder what demand would be for a sale when the time came after a few years.

I live in France with a German van ( and also had a French van) and you are partially correct Brian, French rewireable ( Fully round with no earth cut out) plugs do not fit the sockets fitted to Camping cars but I have never had a problem with the plugs supplied with a new appliance, to overcome the problem of using the old UK appliances that I had rewired using French plugs in the van I bought a French multi socket ( short extension lead), but French two-ways do not work.

True Roger, but if the French bought appliance has the typical French plug with female round earth connection and no "notches" in the sides of the plug where the German pins sit, it will not enter the German socket at all. So, simplest remedy, IMO, is therefore to get German plugs for the German sockets. Second simplest is to source Legrand plugs in France (some, but not all, supermarkets have them) which have the dual earth contacts (side blades for Germany + female round pin for France), which will enter and connect earth in either French or German sockets. For everything else that has UK 13A plugs (computer power pack or similar), I use Boots "continental" adaptor plug which are also multi-standard.Don't much care for Eddie's trailing multi point adaptor, as I don't like trailing leads, and it still needs a German type plug. I shorten most leads for appliances that will only be used in the van, to eliminate these. Safer, IMO.

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-21 10:31 PM

True Roger, but if the French bought appliance has the typical French plug with female round earth connection and no "notches" in the sides of the plug where the German pins sit, it will not enter the German socket at all. So, simplest remedy, IMO, is therefore to get German plugs for the German sockets. Second simplest is to source Legrand plugs in France (some, but not all, supermarkets have them) which have the dual earth contacts (side blades for Germany + female round pin for France), which will enter and connect earth in either French or German sockets. For everything else that has UK 13A plugs (computer power pack or similar), I use Boots "continental" adaptor plug which are also multi-standard.Don't much care for Eddie's trailing multi point adaptor, as I don't like trailing leads, and it still needs a German type plug. I shorten most leads for appliances that will only be used in the van, to eliminate these. Safer, IMO.

Because of the wider market for consumer electrical items within mainland Europe all the plugs (shall we call them Europlugs) prefitted to appliances connect to the earth, where necessary, either by means of the side strips à la Deutchland or mit eine off set earth socket fur der Francais. Both earthing systems are embodied into the Europlugs and thus into my French bloc multi-prise but the sockets thereof are only equipped with the French centre pin earth. Native rewireable French or German plugs are not necessarily so equipped.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2012-10-21 9:31 PM

I chop the lead right down and fix UK multi socket to wall very near German outlet.....no trailing leads. And a far more practical bank of sockets

Archived