Waxoyl

mel64

As we have changed the motorhome we are considering getting it Waxoyl like the previous one.

Prices from £450 up to £895.00 any idea`s why to big price difference when you talk to them they all appear to doing the same job.

Has any body got reasons for the big discrepancy

The vehicle in question is an Autotrail Apache 670 05 vintage

Get them to put in writing the process they are going to use in detail.

There is a big difference between

a) Getting inside the hollow sections and all the nooks and crannies with a pressure washer then drying it out then going around getting in the same hollow sections and nooks and crannies with the Waxoyl spray.

and

b) Spraying the dirty and already rusting underneath with a quick coat of Waxoyl or a cheap alternative.

Personally I would not bother. I have had a good look around the underneath of our 2004 Autotrail Tracker and was quite pleased to see there was little obvious sign of rusting but there was some small patched here and there. I think that Waxoyl will not stop the rusting process it will continue under the Waxoyl.

If yours is in similar condition the more expensive quote may include treating the rusty areas with a de-rusting agent prior to applying the Waxoyl.

If both quotes are for the identical process then go with your gut instinct.

Waxoyl will retard the rusting process by blocking oxygen and moisture. Both of which are required to produce rust. I wouldn't even pay £450, waxoyl is about £20 odd for 5 ltrs, so 2 cans will do the complete van. I'd just get under it and treat the vulnerable bits myself with a sprayer.

As for the price difference, I don't have a clue.

As a life long lover of Waxoyl I have some observations.

It does work, it slows the rust almost to a stop.

It needs doing again in, say, two years.

Galvanised chassis steel is not quite the same as hot dip galvanising, it CAN and WILL go rusty.

Waxoyl is no good under wheel arches or where water is blasted on. It washes away.

All the applicators and sprays are next to useless, the only thing that works well is a "Schutz" style gun with various probes and a compressor.

You will need a ramp or lift to do a motorhome properly.

Mask brakes with thick paper or cardboard and keep it off the exhaust, it smells when it burns off.

Leave the can in a bucket of boiling water until the Waxoyl is like water, shake it well and keep it warm in use.

Wear a mask and goggles plus gloves, boiler suit etc. A hat will save your hair.

It takes about 10 ltrs to do and about 6 hours.

So 6 hours at say £50 an hour is £300 plus £50 for Waxoyl add 20% profit margin makes about £420.

The problem is, as always, how do you know a proper job has been done?

Unless the cavities and box sections are done with the right size probe it could rust from inside, and you don't find out until some years later if it wasn't done properly.

I did mine using a lift and the equipment at my son in laws works unit, so that made it a lot easier.

H

Archived