Folding electric bike at Tesco - £399!!!

Mel B

Good idea but I have noted there is a very large variation in prices f electric bikes. Whether that is representative of quality or just marketing, I do not know but do check the wattage of the motor, some are only 240 watts which is ok, but not brilliant, a better wattage is 300 plus but then again you need a battery that will power it. A range of at least 30 miles, and 500 recharges, is what you need. No, I am not an expert but have been doing some digging before looking to buy a couple. Also very importrant check the size of the wheels. Some come with 16 inch which is ok for pootling round the site but for the open road 20 inch is the minimum.

£399 sounds good, but is not if it does not do what you want.

We have just ordered 2 electric bikes for the rack on our motorhome, after lenghty investigation we decided we needed full size frame, non folding ( lighter), a 250 volt motor, which is the legal maximum for the UK, also a 10 amp battery which should give us a 30 mile range, also with the throttle assist facility. We bought ours from a dealer here in north Norfolk as we felt it would be easier than buying on the net if we had any problems later.

I feel that you need to pay more than £399 for a decent reliable bike with spares backup and a local dealer for info and problems should they occur, there are too many chinese "monkey metal" bikes out there, their reliability could be questionable if they are anything like their motorcycles.

Archived