plug hole

fairweather camper

Hi All

The plug hole in our sink is disintegrating bits are falling off and it leaks very slightly, will i have to buy a new sink or does anyone know where i could just buy the plug hole, it is a Pilote Galaxy 2002 it is a fixed corner sink. I said just put some sikaflex/mastic round it but him indoors laughed (how rude).

Thanks

I too have a Pilote Galaxy with a corner sink and had the same problem. You will have to replace the sink eventually. I did a temp. repair with Araldite from the bottom and Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure from the top. (yes - that is what it's called).

Now here's the hard part, and get ready for watering eyes. Hayes quoted me £300 plus for a replacement sink and that's only for parts. I did a lot of chasing around and had a lot of help from posters on this board. To do a permanent fix I bought a new sink from CAK Tanks. It is a slightly different size and a bit bigger. I had to move the cabinet out on one side by 15mm to make it fit. Before I installed the sink I glued stiffening plywood to the base around the plug hole and also under the tap mount. I also glued a steel rod under the front lip to stop deflection. At the same time I put in a white splash back in acrylic material. All in all it's a better job than the original as it's a bigger and a more suitable size.

It was a fiddly job and took some time, so be prepared for this.

If you want to fit an original size sink you can get one made using the original as a former, but it would also be costly, but probably not £300.

H

Hilux - 2012-10-21 10:26 PM

I too have a Pilote Galaxy with a corner sink and had the same problem. You will have to replace the sink eventually. I did a temp. repair with Araldite from the bottom and Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure from the top. (yes - that is what it's called).

Now here's the hard part, and get ready for watering eyes. Hayes quoted me £300 plus for a replacement sink and that's only for parts. I did a lot of chasing around and had a lot of help from posters on this board. To do a permanent fix I bought a new sink from CAK Tanks. It is a slightly different size and a bit bigger. I had to move the cabinet out on one side by 15mm to make it fit. Before I installed the sink I glued stiffening plywood to the base around the plug hole and also under the tap mount. I also glued a steel rod under the front lip to stop deflection. At the same time I put in a white splash back in acrylic material. All in all it's a better job than the original as it's a bigger and a more suitable size.

It was a fiddly job and took some time, so be prepared for this.

If you want to fit an original size sink you can get one made using the original as a former, but it would also be costly, but probably not £300.

H

Thanks for the information most appreciated, you mention being able to have a sink made from the original sink former, could i just have a plug hole made by the same people.

I suppose you could use two pack epoxy with reinforcing mesh to strengthen the existing plug hole. However, gravity is against you as you would have to do the repair from underneath. To do a proper job you need to take the sink out. If you took it out and asked a car body shop for some advice they might be able to do a repair. Boat repairers are also very knowledgeable about the use of two pack resins as they are always repairing GRP hulls.

I forgot to say that with one of my first repairs I glued a large steel washer, to surround the plug hole, on the underside. I did this without taking the sink out. I took off the waste connection and glued the washer with Araldite that I had from Maplins. It was a type of Araldite suitable for plastic - cost about £6. This helped to make the plug surround stronger and it did get us by for about 12 months.

Hope this helps

H

I had a similar problem when the rim under the plug hole started to split.

I removed the waste fitting, 'tidied up' the hole in the sink with a file and wet and dry paper.

I bought a slightly larger waste fitting ( from B&Q I think ) and fitted that with some clear sealer.

It does the job, but a new sink would look better !

Archived