Winter holiday in the UK ... where?

Mel B

We've decided we'd like to have a few weeks away after Christmas but staying in the UK, so we'll need somewhere with things to do, ideally with a bit better weather than going up to the North of Scotland!

I might be able to persuade hubby to go for a break before Christmas too (I'm going stir-crazy having the new van and not using it!!!!).

Anyone got any suggestions?

Due to the cost of travelling (fuel/Eurotunnel, and dogs) etc going abroad is gonna prove too expensive me-thinks.

Just had a look on trip adviser Mel, would think you need to be in the South West or South Coast for a chance of the best weather. Put Somerset in and the first one to come up was. Quantock Orchard Caravan Park, Nr Taunton, all facilities I think you require (dog walking, EHU, etc) 7nights £90. Thats low season and its open all year.

Another one on there is the one at Sparkford, Long Hazel Park. We have stopped there and it is a cracker but a bit pricey for Winter, but ok for any other time (one price all year) Haynes Motor Museum very close.

Dave

Guest pelmetman

We have spent Christmas and New Year at the Caravan Club Site at Dulverton in Somerset. It is a couple of minutes walk to the small town where you can buy all your shopping and there is a lovely restaurant, plus several pubs.

Exmoor is great for dog walking.

No one can predict the weather but the only place in UK we'd contemplate in January would be down South somewhere.

Guest JudgeMental
thinking of a holiday at half term, week after next..but with the weather we have been experiencing lately thinking what is the point...

West Cornwall is often a degree or two less cold than most of the South West in winter but due to the predominance of high winds and rain it very often does not feel much like it.

In our experience the mildest area is South Devon and in particular Torbay where there are plenty of coves facing all different directions so there is always a beach somewhere that is not too windy - if beaches are your thing?

On Exmoor in mid winter is not a place I would choose to be for very long!

No idea about sites though - sorry!

I would go with Dulverton, good pubs virtually next door to the site.

There a site at Castle Farm, near Weston where the bloke has an original sea harrier in a barn, if you're into that sort of thing (one night stop).

Fox and Hounds pub on Dartmoor (the site is a bit tatty, but it's location location), food in pub okay and right on top of the moor for dog walks. Disused railway line to Okehampton where they store old railway locos.

There are Cl's down towards Marazion that are good and that is an interesting place to visit.

Also been to Ulwell Cottage, site near Swanage. Lot of statics there but right on coastal path for walk east of west. B-)

we spent a very enjoyable few weeks away this year in January an February in the New Forest and then in SOuth Devon...we did have difficulty in finding suitable sites open, and used these - not places we would stay normally as 'allsinging/all dancing'but excellent for winter....

http://www.coftonholidays.co.uk/home - SOuth Devon and with an excellent bus service outside the entrance to Exeter or Teignmouth

and

http://www.sandyballs.co.uk/ New Forest near Fordingbridge, easy walk into town for buses to Salisbury or Bournemouth

in both cases we only paid something like £10/15 per night inc electrics.....by booking for several nights at the outset, although we stayed quite a bit longer as they were so good.

If you are looking in Somerset, I think the CC Site at Minehead is open all year - again a great location, and walking Exmoor not far away if thats your scene.

Mel B - 2012-10-21 2:41 PMWe've decided we'd like to have a few weeks away after Christmas but staying in the UK, so we'll need somewhere with things to do, ideally with a bit better weather than going up to the North of Scotland!I might be able to persuade hubby to go for a break before Christmas too (I'm going stir-crazy having the new van and not using it!!!!).Anyone got any suggestions? Due to the cost of travelling (fuel/Eurotunnel, and dogs) etc going abroad is gonna prove too expensive me-thinks.

Now you are both retired it should be any place any time anywhere so splash the cash and open a Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller Account you know it makes sense. You can do a lot of France for the cost of UK fuel and campsite fee's.

I spent several years teaching winter climbing in Scotland and would still take the risk and go to Fort William area as all is still open jan/feb. You take a chance with the weather this time of year anywhere in northern europe anyway and would have to go down to spain, as you must know, to be fairly sure of decent weather. If your sole reason for holidays, like some, is sun then winter is out but we happen to like the uk and although we go to alps in jan now will still go to scotland, Dulverton has been mentioned and agree with this, great pub five minutes from cc site. We also go to sites for short breaks near to towns like York, Bristol. Best weather in the UK is south coast so anywhere from Dover to Poole.

Keith T - 2012-10-21 5:16 PM

http://www.sandyballs.co.uk/ New Forest near Fordingbridge, easy walk into town for buses to Salisbury or Bournemouth

in both cases we only paid something like £10/15 per night inc electrics....

Keith,

I`ve just had a look at the price list and unless i`m reading it wrong

£40 and £45 per night over Christmas and New Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need to win the lottery first..............................LOL

nowtelse2do - 2012-10-21 3:04 PM

Just had a look on trip adviser Mel, would think you need to be in the South West or South Coast for a chance of the best weather. Put Somerset in and the first one to come up was. Quantock Orchard Caravan Park, Nr Taunton, all facilities I think you require (dog walking, EHU, etc) 7nights £90. Thats low season and its open all year.

Another one on there is the one at Sparkford, Long Hazel Park. We have stopped there and it is a cracker but a bit pricey for Winter, but ok for any other time (one price all year) Haynes Motor Museum very close.

Dave

Stayed at Quantock Orchard a few years ago.

Nice enough site, but no shops, pubs, restaurants etc within walking distance.

There is a bus stop nearby, but a bit of a limited service

If you don't mind coming south the New Forest is our favourite winter haunt.

Knowing you are not keen on commercial sites steer well clear of Sandyballs, big commercial site with cabins mobile homes indoor pool - yuck.

Forestry Commission site Setthorns all hard standings amongst the trees if you are a C&CC member about £7 night unless you want to pay their silly prices for EHU.

Wooie - 2012-10-21 6:17 PM

Keith T - 2012-10-21 5:16 PM

in both cases we only paid something like £10/15 per night inc electrics....

Keith,

I`ve just had a look at the price list and unless i`m reading it wrong

£40 and £45 per night over Christmas and New Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need to win the lottery first..............................LOL

Yes, thats true, also for summer peak periods....but out of season, whiuch is when we were there,no kids, no all singing/all dancing, but good facilities, and excellent winter prices for pitches and elecs.

We wouldn't go anywhere like this normally!!!

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2012-10-21 3:59 PM

thinking of a holiday at half term, week after next..but with the weather we have been experiencing lately thinking what is the point...

It's not the cold can deal with that, but all this rain!

If you can't afford a few months in Spain now and again winters are going to be a bit bleak don't you think....not much of a retirement.

Guest pelmetman

Just booking 32 nights at camping Lo Monte Spain, on a medium size pitch with water and drainage, onsite restaurant/bar, indoor/outdoor pools.............432 euro's............about £350 ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

That's expensive! £11.35 a night. Does it include electricity? :-D

So approx £400 fuel ? A months holiday for £750..........can't be bad

It probably won't matter much and the best trick might be to focus on micro-climates. Woodland or some low-lying inland areas in winter tend to be more benign than mountain, moor, or coast so places like the Forest of Dean, New Forest, East Anglia etc would give the best chances of the least harsh conditions. We've spent time out in winter in all those, plus more, and it's been grand.

Will be out again this Christmas / New Year but unlikely to use sites.

You should move further north JM :-D we have been crying that we havent had our new van to enjoy the lovely sunshine we have had!! can still be a bit chilly though but thats fine as long as your wrapped up at least us women know what clothes to take (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2012-10-22 11:29 AM

You should move further north JM :-D we have been crying that we havent had our new van to enjoy the lovely sunshine we have had!! can still be a bit chilly though but thats fine as long as your wrapped up at least us women know what clothes to take (lol)

4th wet grey day on the trot..... :-S

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2012-10-22 9:57 AM

That's expensive! £11.35 a night. Does it include electricity? :-D

So approx £400 fuel ? A months holiday for £750..........can't be bad

2 months Eddie ;-)....................just booked Calpemar for a fortnight as well B-)

Mind you......... according to an advert in the Mail on Saturday we could have had a weeks B&B in the Dordogne for £749 8-)....................and on the last day they gave you a voucher for a free set menu meal in a local restaurant.................bargain (lol) (lol) (lol)

Archived