Winter holiday in the UK ... where?

Mel B

Guest JudgeMental

Have you ever thought why is the Dordogne so lush and green? *-)

the voucher on last day is to stop you bailing out.....24 deg in Antibes but raining

JudgeMental - 2012-10-22 8:33 AM

It's not the cold can deal with that, but all this rain!

If you can't afford a few months in Spain now and again winters are going to be a bit bleak don't you think....not much of a retirement.

I would still like to go away for some 'foreign' time over winter at some point, but I don't think my 87 year old Mum would forgive me if I wasn't here for Christmas and New Year!!!

As for the cost, one thing we have to account for, as well as the cost of Eurotunnel, sites etc is the pooches - before we even start driving on the continent, it would cost us £90 for the crossing (£30 each dog) and then there's the cost of the vet on the way back - another £50-60 quid, so there alone is £150, so unless we were able (and willing) to go for a fair length of time (and distance) and get a 'benefit' over tootling round in the UK it doesn't make much sense. I don't do well in cold weather but so long as I can get wrapped up and have a nice warm van to go back to, that wouldn't bother me too much. In the UK there can be some glorious winter days - we always used to go away on Boxing Day returning on New Year's Day - but in recent years for one reason or another haven't managed to, so hoping to get away after Crimbo instead (if not before).

At least in the UK if there's a problem, such as the weather turning nasty, we can soon turn tail and head in another direction, difficult if you're booked on a foreign campsite for a month ... which year was it when the weather in Spain/Portugal was as bad as here over winter? We're not the sort to just sit around on campsites etc so that's one thing that concerns me a bit about going abroad for winter ... is this a problem and are the days much longer there than here? :-S

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2012-10-22 9:25 PM

If you can't afford a few months in Spain now and again winters are going to be a bit bleak don't you think....not much of a retirement.

I would still like to go away for some 'foreign' time over winter at some point, but I don't think my 87 year old Mum would forgive me if I wasn't here for Christmas and New Year!!!

As for the cost, one thing we have to account for, as well as the cost of Eurotunnel, sites etc is the pooches - before we even start driving on the continent, it would cost us £90 for the crossing (£30 each dog) and then there's the cost of the vet on the way back - another £50-60 quid, so there alone is £150, so unless we were able (and willing) to go for a fair length of time (and distance) and get a 'benefit' over tootling round in the UK it doesn't make much sense. I don't do well in cold weather but so long as I can get wrapped up and have a nice warm van to go back to, that wouldn't bother me too much. In the UK there can be some glorious winter days - we always used to go away on Boxing Day returning on New Year's Day - but in recent years for one reason or another haven't managed to, so hoping to get away after Crimbo instead (if not before).

At least in the UK if there's a problem, such as the weather turning nasty, we can soon turn tail and head in another direction, difficult if you're booked on a foreign campsite for a month ... which year was it when the weather in Spain/Portugal was as bad as here over winter? We're not the sort to just sit around on campsites etc so that's one thing that concerns me a bit about going abroad for winter ... is this a problem and are the days much longer there than here? :-S

Blimey why retire..............and give your self an anchor :-S

Sadly Mel you have lived in the sensible educated enviroment to long *-)

Currently in Sitges, 25km south of Barcelona, weather 24 deg, shorts and teeshirts all the time. Been away since back end. August and going home mid December. We just being our UK budget with us but manage with a one euro to one pound conversion, meaning we are living here for 20% less than back home. Will be moving on towards Valencia soon, Peniscola or Benincassim.

Sun is out now so almost time for breakfast outside, just like home....

PS. We live in the South West and would suggest Minehead or Swanage for a winter break.

PPS. Van performing perfectly, no bits fallen off despite it being a Swift, lol.

Good luck Mel, hope u find something.

JudgeMental - 2012-10-21 3:59 PM

thinking of a holiday at half term, week after next..but with the weather we have been experiencing lately thinking what is the point...

I retired a few years ago at the end of Sept and was amazed how much it rained, never really noticed when I was working. Had to make a dash to Spain for a top up of sunshine!

Guest JudgeMental
starvin marvin - 2012-10-23 5:36 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-10-21 3:59 PM

thinking of a holiday at half term, week after next..but with the weather we have been experiencing lately thinking what is the point...

I retired a few years ago at the end of Sept and was amazed how much it rained, never really noticed when I was working. Had to make a dash to Spain for a top up of sunshine!

I read recently that this weather pastern here for 20 years!...Gone the balmy reliable summers of yesterday for my lifetime anyway..... *-)

Archived