SwiftTalk will I be banned?

Airstream

Hi,

Just had a post removed by Andy Spacy - Swift did not like me reporting in a thread just a few of the countless failures and the fact that our van was off the road for six months at dealers and Swift factory

So I have to only post good news and world peace or be banned for life

Have asked Andy to advise any part of my post that was not true -Swift can't as all docs with myself, dealer and Swift

Ho Ho

Ray

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really do not think companies like Swift do themselves any favours by having "negative" comments removed. Far better to either be upfront an say how they will put things right or explain why they do not think they are at fault. We have had a few Swifts in the past and on the whole were happy with them so no axe to grind. Also MMM should stand up for press freedom and not give in to pressure to remove comments.

robertandjean - 2012-10-21 8:48 PM

Really do not think companies like Swift do themselves any favours by having "negative" comments removed. Far better to either be upfront an say how they will put things right or explain why they do not think they are at fault. We have had a few Swifts in the past and on the whole were happy with them so no axe to grind. Also MMM should stand up for press freedom and not give in to pressure to remove comments.

Yes quite agree....surely Swift would be better to be allowed to post their own comments, rather than - one assumes - bringing pressure on MMM to remove the thread....

Keith T - 2012-10-21 8:59 PM

Yes quite agree....surely Swift would be better to be allowed to post their own comments, rather than - one assumes - bringing pressure on MMM to remove the thread....

Dearly-beloved, it was not the MMM forum from which the comments were removed, it was from Swift Talk, which is Swift's own forum for their happy clients to debate the joys of Swift ownership and ask anodyne questions. :-)

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2012-10-21 10:13 PM it was from Swift Talk, which is Swift's own forum for their happy clients to debate the joys of Swift ownership and ask anodyne questions. :-)

I haven't got a anodyne :-( .................what's it do? :-S.................. should I get one retrofitted? :D

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-21 10:13 PM

Keith T - 2012-10-21 8:59 PM

Dearly-beloved, it was not the MMM forum from which the comments were removed, it was from Swift Talk, which is Swift's own forum for their happy clients to debate the joys of Swift ownership and ask anodyne questions. :-)

Thanks for clarification Brian, but OP did not make it clear which forum was meant. Still think Swift are wrong however though clearly MMM not involved so not at fault.

Hi,

My comments were on a thread asking why there were no Swift motorhomes about in the EU

My post contained only factual info on some of the failures we have suffered since buying our Swift product

All of the info has already been posted on MHF and OAL as it was at the time monitored by Swift

No threats no nasty comments, in fact praise for Kath and Kerry

If I had posted all the problems and failures the readers would not have believed me

The thread is "Come on Swift! Posted by Paul Thomas"

Regards Ray

I think it appropriate to reproduce the issues on here.

Many people read this forum and may be about to spend their life savings on something that will bring them misery.

I have no idea how the company, who have, over recent years probably turned out more abject rubbish than any other large converter, managed to survive.

I'd guess that uninformed or apathetic customers, and a motorhome press desperate to keep the company sweet for fear of losing advertising revenue might have something to do with it.

Tracker - 2012-10-21 9:25 PM

My definition of Motorhome hell

A new Swift, based on a Fiat, supplied by Brownhills!

You clearly haven't owned an X250 then. Best drive of any van I've driven or owned. Swift have issues but as they are one of the largest sellers in the UK then that might explain why you hear of complaints. I've come across a few Autotrail complaints also but that does not mean they are all bad.

The OP must have said some fairly bad things as there have been a few negative posts on Swift-Talk that Swift have attempted to address. And one frustrating post I put on there recently about a toilet issue was immediately picked up by Thetford and dealt with.

Mike88 - 2012-10-22 1:33 PM

....... And one frustrating post I put on there recently about a toilet issue was immediately picked up by Thetford and dealt with.

Ditto. Great service from Thetford via Swiftalk. In fact Mike88 I suspect you and I exchanged information there recently?

Arthur

Swift are the largest manufacturer of caravan and motorhomes in the UK., selling some 15000 caravans a year (Caravan Club figures I believe) It is the ONLY major manufacturer that has an open forum dedicated to Swift users (though it is also frequented by other owners as well). They do this at considerable risk, because such forums are generally only frequented by those with a rogue product (as with all such forums - BMW/Mercedes/Audi? If you read their forums, you would never buy a product from them!!. At least Swift do not shy away from their responsibilites like other manufacturers, who hide behind their dealer network, and refuse point blank to talk directly to their customers.

The forum is used to give practical advice and help to owners of Swift products, and is over and above the excellent Customer Services Dep't within the company. Swift do face criticism on the forum from time to time about any problem products, but VERY RARELY do they close down any such discussion, and when they do, it's because a particular poster has a personal vendetta going, or is rude and abusive to other forumites.

Of course, you have to accept that Swift do have their problem vans (as do every other manufacturer). However, the vast majority of Swift owners are very very happy with their caravans/motorhomes which just get on about their business of giving enjoyment to their owners with no problems....just like mine...and indeed as with all the vans I've had from them before. Sadly,it human nature that if you are happy with your product, you do not feel the need to say so on an open forum, and I'm as guilty as the rest in not doing so. You only read about the odd problems, and that can give a very skewed picture.

So Bailey, Elddis, Lunar and the rest, stand up to the plate and.create your own customer based forums, instead of refusing to allow your customers a dialogue (Bailey and their dents???)

crinklystarfish - 2012-10-22 11:14 AMI think it appropriate to reproduce the issues on here.

Many people read this forum and may be about to spend their life savings on something that will bring them misery.

I have no idea how the company, who have, over recent years probably turned out more abject rubbish than any other large converter, managed to survive.

I'd guess that uninformed or apathetic customers, and a motorhome press desperate to keep the company sweet for fear of losing advertising revenue might have something to do with it.
What on earth is that monstrosity in your picture?? :-D

crinklystarfish - 2012-10-22 11:14 AMI think it appropriate to reproduce the issues on here.

I am neither uninformed or apathetic and my last two vans have been Swift, both brilliant, and take exception to your stupid comment. Like any large company their will be complaints and this site seems to have a few who insist on living in the past without checking or having any personal experience of the recent products. Looking at the wreck you seem to drive around in why am I not suprised.

Brian Kirby - 2012-10-21 10:13 PM

.............for their happy clients to debate the joys of Swift ownership and ask anodyne questions. :-)

Well Brian, not up to your usual standard.

I am a Swift (Autocruise) owner and I find SwiftTalk very useful. For example I asked there re Omnistep problem. Rapidly contacted by Sargent who designed and installed the electronics. Received replacement control board next day, plugged it in and working fine. Recently, a very leaky cassette toilet - won't spoil your cup of tea with the detail - but this time Sue Irwin from Thetford contacted me and solution found (not the lip seal as I suspected).

Of course my dealer should be first recourse but they are a) 150 miles away b) as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

I'm not here to defend Swift or indeed many of the posts on SwiftTalk but your sweeping generalisation above is not a fair reflection of what this (anodyne?) SwiftTalk poster has experienced.

I agree there are some posters on there who sound as if they work for Swift or manage their PR but having been a member for close on two years its a very useful medium.

Wish my previous van converter (Continental) had had an 'anodyne' forum where I could have sought help

Arthur : ;-)

arthur49 - 2012-10-22 2:03 PM

Mike88 - 2012-10-22 1:33 PM

....... And one frustrating post I put on there recently about a toilet issue was immediately picked up by Thetford and dealt with.

Ditto. Great service from Thetford via Swiftalk. In fact Mike88 I suspect you and I exchanged information there recently?

Arthur

Twas me....................................glad you are sorted.

Brian's comments are very much off beam as the Swift website is exceedingly useful in a practical and informative sense as we've both discovered.

rupert123 - 2012-10-22 2:44 PM
crinklystarfish - 2012-10-22 11:14 AM I think it appropriate to reproduce the issues on here.

I am neither uninformed or apathetic and my last two vans have been Swift, both brilliant, and take exception to your stupid comment. Like any large company their will be complaints and this site seems to have a few who insist on living in the past without checking or having any personal experience of the recent products. Looking at the wreck you seem to drive around in why am I not suprised.

As you are neither uninformed or apathetic, I conclude you are just dim.

You only have to do the research to unearth the build quality issues and I would advocate anyone who was considering purchase do just that.

I couldn't care less whether you take exception or not for my comment is founded in fact.

I assume you are just trying to be your usual unpleasant self in your critisism, but, if you like, I'm quite happy to for any independent expert to compare the build quality of my wreck with that of any Swift you care to nominate. Assuming your nominated Swift stays together long enough for the inspection.

Swift may have improved, but so have my piles. I still wouldn't inflict either on any other decent human being.

Mike88 - 2012-10-22 4:50 PM

Twas me....................................glad you are sorted.

Thank you again for your help too, via SwiftTalk, in identifying the problem. Incidentally there is apparently a sixth screw (Sue categorically assures me there is...) I just can't see it, even if I swivel the toilet....

Anyway, almost time for a meal and I'm discussing toilets again!

Arthur :-(

Hi,

My banned comments on SwiftTalk only contained a few of the issues we have suffered since purchase

I have to take the motorhome as a complete unit so who do I blame for:-

The rotting floor, wheel arches dropping off, cracked roof where awning fixings overtightened, basin fixings failing, 6 x control panels, 3 battery chargers, 5 fuse boxes, 3 x faulty hab doors, decorative foil peeling from boards,badley fitted rear window, trim edges detaching, rear view camera detatching (fixe with Velcro!!!!!), 230 volt sockets working intermittently, bubbling trims on cooker. rear skirtings losing colour, shower trim detaching, no support under front edge of shower tray door handles on adjacent doors 30mm out of line, missing fixings to furniture, cracked roof light on delivery 3 of the 4 plastic bed rails splitting etc etc and approx 6 months out of action/at dealers for warranty work

Its only the superb customer service team at Swift that have kept us going - if only the design/procurement/production side was as good

Regards Ray

PS,Its only 5 fuse boxes because I cant be bothered being without the van for 6 weeks while the thing is repaired - it shows a constant 45 amp discharge but otherwise works

If you have no problems with your Swift - great - but you could have purchased mine then what would you be saying?

Ray

Guest JudgeMental

Airstream... Please what year is this piece of British craftsmanship? Just to add some perspective..

You are not the only one that has had problems with current swift vans, putting paid to the myth from comedians who say the problems are historic!lol :D

[As you are neither uninformed or apathetic, I conclude you are just dim.

You only have to do the research to unearth the build quality issues and I would advocate anyone who was considering purchase do just that.

I couldn't care less whether you take exception or not for my comment is founded in fact.

I assume you are just trying to be your usual unpleasant self in your critisism, but, if you like, I'm quite happy to for any independent expert to compare the build quality of my wreck with that of any Swift you care to nominate. Assuming your nominated Swift stays together long enough for the inspection.

Swift may have improved, but so have my piles. I still wouldn't inflict either on any other decent human being.

I have to say that your response is just the type of thing that gets people chucked off of Swift Talk!!!. Shame the mods don't show the same sort of discipline on here.

Airstream - 2012-10-22 6:28 PM

Hi,

My banned comments on SwiftTalk only contained a few of the issues we have suffered since purchase

I have to take the motorhome as a complete unit so who do I blame for:-

The rotting floor, wheel arches dropping off, cracked roof where awning fixings overtightened, basin fixings failing, 6 x control panels, 3 battery chargers, 5 fuse boxes, 3 x faulty hab doors, decorative foil peeling from boards,badley fitted rear window, trim edges detaching, rear view camera detatching (fixe with Velcro!!!!!), 230 volt sockets working intermittently, bubbling trims on cooker. rear skirtings losing colour, shower trim detaching, no support under front edge of shower tray door handles on adjacent doors 30mm out of line, missing fixings to furniture, cracked roof light on delivery 3 of the 4 plastic bed rails splitting etc etc and approx 6 months out of action/at dealers for warranty work

Its only the superb customer service team at Swift that have kept us going - if only the design/procurement/production side was as good

Regards Ray

PS,Its only 5 fuse boxes because I cant be bothered being without the van for 6 weeks while the thing is repaired - it shows a constant 45 amp discharge but otherwise works

If you have no problems with your Swift - great - but you could have purchased mine then what would you be saying?

Ray

That's unfortunate - what year is the van - did you buy it new or through a dealer or private sale?

Hi,

2008 build reg Dec 2007 purchased new from Marquis - none of our problems are unique most vans of this era 2007/8/9 have one or more of the same

The electrics failed on every outing and Kath the then Swift "boss" organised Nordelttronica to deal direct with me and I would return home call Nord they would send courier pick up fuse box/charger/control panel as required and return to me a few days later

Hab doors - most have now been replaced due to delamination, manufacturers rep visited us until we were ok with the final solution - then the door lock failed and Swift fitted a new door (door number four)

Our van came with the plastic covered under floor so we had the rotting floor problem, again Swift customer services came up trumps and had the van back at the factory to replace the rotting areas

Just a taste of our Swift ownership

Ray

Airstream - 2012-10-22 7:15 PM

Hi,

2008 build reg Dec 2007 purchased new from Marquis - none of our problems are unique most vans of this era 2007/8/9 have one or more of the same

The electrics failed on every outing and Kath the then Swift "boss" organised Nordelttronica to deal direct with me and I would return home call Nord they would send courier pick up fuse box/charger/control panel as required and return to me a few days later

Hab doors - most have now been replaced due to delamination, manufacturers rep visited us until we were ok with the final solution - then the door lock failed and Swift fitted a new door (door number four)

Our van came with the plastic covered under floor so we had the rotting floor problem, again Swift customer services came up trumps and had the van back at the factory to replace the rotting areas

Just a taste of our Swift ownership

Ray

Well, at least Swift came up trumps with a factory repair, even though it was out of the warranty period. Some manufacturers are not so forthcoming - witness bailey's "dentgate" It will be interesting to see how theyalso handle the reported rotting floors in the Pegasus vans.

Archived